Baofeng UV-5R output on 10GHz

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

I know some of us use the Baofeng UV-5R 2m/70cm hand-held as a signal marker on 10GHz due to the 24th harmonic of the RX LO highlighted in this article:

https://destevez.net/2016/07/phase-noise-of-a-baofeng-uv-5r-10ghz-signal/

When tuned to 432.0125 it gave me a remarkably stable signal on 10368.22 with a GPS locked Kuhne. When I have been able to go portable the rig calibration was verified by two beacons.

Back home in the valley I am stuck as we have no beacons in Wales so I am reliant on the Baofeng for reassurance that things still work & are on frequency. During heavy rain I can usually hear GB3KBQ & sometimes GB3SCX, unfortunately we have had no useful rain for many weeks nor have I caught a whisper of the two beacons by AS.

Somehow I messed up the settings on the Baofeng so in desperation I did a reset. But immediately after doing that I find the 432.0125 RX output has moved down to 10368.145. I have reset this several times but get the same result.

So my question is, what frequency output on 10GHz do others get when using the Baofeng in this way? Is it giving the "correct" frequency in it's present state or was my earlier set up correct & I have reset it up wrongly?
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

John Fell

Hi Clive ,
Never tried that on a BF but seems a reasonable thing to do/P - would imagine some detectable microphony at 10GHz from the synth ref Xtal and temp drift ?

If you cannot hear KBQ or SCX and bands are extremely flat , like now , you could perhaps Tee of your RX down the chain after downconversion and use a scanner to listen to QO100 .Always activity or the two beacons to hear and loud on a 60cm offset .

HNY
John
G0API

PS Any update on the 10GHz  GW beacon ?

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 12:18, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via groups.io <humber1ton=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Andy G4JNT

You had me intrigued so went and tried mine - tuned to 432.0125

There's a disgusting sounding strong poor quality note at 10368.091 MHz to be found when I place the unsquelched Baofeng near the radio.   The actual RF out of the radio measured as 432.0125137 MHz, which is remarkably good  sub-1ppm accuracy.

[...]

If you want a weak test source at 10Ghz, why not buy yourself a cheap crystal oscillator at 48MHz and connect it to a Schottky diode as a multiplier.   Calibrate the frequency against a beacon.    Bog standard oscillators run at a few quid each.
Picking a couple at random 15 and 20ppm  accuracy

Or go for a 2PPM 38.4MHz (* 270 = 10368MHz) costing a whopping 87p

Mind you, 2PPM is still 20kHz uncertainty on 10GHz.

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 12:45, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for replies.

Before discovering the Baofeng phenomenon, I built up a 48MHz module into something from the chipbank. There were two problems.

Firstly it was giving output below 10368.00, so it was not convenient to use with my 2m IF. Secondly it drifted badly. It might have been better if I put it in an insulated box & allowed to warm up period, but this would have been a fiddle for the way I want use a signal source. It is not just a test source for receiver sensitivity & frequency check but for dish alignment, which is especially not obvious as I am in a valley firing up hill.

The Baofeng is very convenient to use & gives a relatively stable signal, I put it in a plastic bag & walk 150m cautiously up to our top field, although this not the top of the hill but the ground rises more gradually thereafter. It is fitted on a designated fence post, I use a 1m dish & have to get it aligned within a degree. When I have worked G4UVZ (Taunton)  I have obviously recorded the heading, subsequently I have placed the Baefong on a post that is in the line of the path.

Periodically I traipse up the field to fit the Baofeng, on return I can get a good S2 signal, which is most reassuring that all is well. I recently reviewed that the dish had been blown 12 degrees off alignment. So I am very happy with the Baofeng but can't understand why the frequency change occurred.

The nearest I have to a Welsh beacon is GW4NOS who can give me a signal which has an ERP of 5W from the Port Talbot area, but again this is only when there is good rain in the right place. I'm not always sure that rain will always represent the true heading.

The traipse up the hill is tiresome because I have to go there a second time to collect the Baefong after the test. It is muddy & mindful that a few yards from the designated post the previous owner collapsed & died have ascended the hill too quickly.

I'm considering putting the Baofeng in a waterproof box with a solar panel & leaving it up there. Then with a "beacon" I could have daily reassurance that everything is working & ready to go when the opportunities arise, as long periods of nothing heard can undermine confidence in the system!
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

After weeks & weeks of hearing nothing, many thanks to Adrian G4UVZ in Taunton for getting a signal across to me. Not very strong but confirms that my rig still works & is till on the correct frequency. It also verified the heading from the field trials with the Baofeng on the prescribed post was spot on for Adrian.

The plan is in addition to changing from 3W to 12W at home with the 1m dish.But to operate "portable" from the top of my upper field from the Land Rover. Previously I had a PU-8 that was relatively weak & was difficult to optimise unless on flat ground. I now have a 5m Hilomast with keyed sections that is considerably more robust which will permanently secured to the Land Rover, this will carry a 65cm dish with elevation control. With height of 5m I will be able to see over our hedge, the lane & the hedge on the other side. Pulling into a carpark on terra firma & putting up a tripod isn't going to cut it round here.

With the present viral situation I suspect my field will be the only portable option for a while to come.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Adrian G4UVZ

Hi Clive a pleasure to provide test signals for you ..its such a shame that GB3RPE has ground to a halt again, as a mid point beacon would be extremely valuable in helping us understand the propogation mechanics between us!

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Shows how the special fence post & the Baofeng helps keep things on track. Nice rain this afternoon copying GB3KBQ, GB3SCX & personal beacon of GW4NOS.

Then the strongest signals I've yet heard from G4UVZ Taunton 59 SSB stronger at times than the 2m signal we also worked on CW 599.

But to give the report T9 always seems anomalous on rain scatter in particular. I believe contacts via aurora can be suffixed A eg 59A on SSB or 599A on CW. Does anyone qualify the tone part of the report with say R & if so is this in addition to say 599R  or 59R? Or is there any point in doing it as it may be a complication for what may already may be a weak signal exchange & why CW was being used anyway?
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

John Fell

2021-01-19.png
Hi Clive ,
Well done on working Zummerset today .
Must turn on the 10GHz RX - nothing when i check this am.
BeaconSpt.UK uses the list of suffixes shown to elaborate on conditions during QSOs .

Best 73
John
G0API

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 16:50, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via groups.io <humber1ton=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Shows how the special fence post & the Baofeng helps keep things on track. Nice rain this afternoon copying GB3KBQ, GB3SCX & personal beacon of GW4NOS.

Then the strongest signals I've yet heard from G4UVZ Taunton 59 SSB stronger at times than the 2m signal we also worked on CW 599.

But to give the report T9 always seems anomalous on rain scatter in particular. I believe contacts via aurora can be suffixed A eg 59A on SSB or 599A on CW. Does anyone qualify the tone part of the report with say R & if so is this in addition to say 599R  or 59R? Or is there any point in doing it as it may be a complication for what may already may be a weak signal exchange & why CW was being used anyway?
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Neil Smith G4DBN

Rainscatter report replaces tone with 'S', so 59S on CW, but not usually on SSB - I use NBFM when rainscatter signals are strong. If you spot on the cluster, it helps with beacons if you use a standard layout like:

DX 10368755 GB3LEX IO92IQ<RS>IO93NR 57S

so Beaconspot can slurp the spot into the database.

Wong Sort Of Rain up here today, not hearing much at all, but if there is a decent storm that you can illuminate, and clear air for the rest of the way to me, it should be feasible to make it on 3cm one day.

Conditions have been execrable for days, almost no copy of GB3CAM, not a peep out of OSW or LEX or KBQ or even PKT, never mind anything in GM or outside the UK, and now there is too much rain.

Neil G4DBN

On 19/01/2021 16:50, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Oh, forgot, it is also best to spot with /B for beacons, as sometimes they aren't parsed into B'spot without that suffix, not sure why, but don't want to pollute the  database with experimental spots!

DX 10368755 GB3LEX/B IO92IQ<RS>IO93NR 57S

Neil G4DBN

also s/Wong/Wrong/;

On 19/01/2021 17:00, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

Rainscatter report replaces tone with 'S', so 59S on CW, but not usually on SSB - I use NBFM when rainscatter signals are strong. If you spot on the cluster, it helps with beacons if you use a standard layout like:

DX 10368755 GB3LEX IO92IQ<RS>IO93NR 57S

so Beaconspot can slurp the spot into the database.

simonchettle

Chaps

Returning to the original Header line re- Baofeng UV 5R on 10 GHz

As a matter of interest I tuned my UV3R to 432.0125 and quickly found a very big signal on 10G. So big in fact that i immediately thought the "Sprog" was entering the system ( 20 dB horn, Khune pre amp,Khune transverter, (144 IF) FT817 ). So changed the 817 for the IC9100 - big signal still there I still need to find the Cct diag for the Transverter but do not think the "sprog" is coming direct into it as frequencies just match up to closely.

So Question has anybody actually used / use the Baofung "sprog" to verify their 10G kit and if so what sort of signal levels do they observe ?

Cheers

Simon
G8ATB

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 04:25 PM, simonchettle wrote:
So Question has anybody actually used / use the Baofung "sprog" to verify their 10G kit and if so what sort of signal levels do they observe ?
Simon yes, it has been a lifeline to me as there are no beacons around here.

At 150m distance it is S2-3 on my 1m dish to Kuhne transverter & seems remarkably stable. Not only does it verify the rig but it is fundamental to check the dish alignment, by placing it on a particular fence post that is in alignment to GB3KBQ & G4UVZ which can be heard when conditions permit.

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

John Fell

Not used one but if TVTR is in shack with a norn  just put hand in front of horn and observe signal on IC9100 - you should also hear the Doppler shift induced if it is harmonic energy of the BF output .If up a mast with a dish - rotate and listen for similar results and peaks /troughs which should be there -attenuate at i.f. if needed with a 599+ signal .Removing BF antenna will probably give you another clue to where RF is getting in .
73
John
G0API

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 16:25, simonchettle <simon@...> wrote:
Chaps

Returning to the original Header line re-  Baofeng UV 5R  on 10 GHz

As a matter of interest I tuned my UV3R  to 432.0125  and quickly found a
very big signal on 10G.  So big in fact that i  immediately thought the
"Sprog" was entering the system  (  20 dB horn,  Khune pre amp,Khune
transverter,  (144 IF) FT817  ).  So changed the 817  for the IC9100 - big
signal still there  I still need to find the Cct diag for the Transverter
but do not think the  "sprog" is coming direct  into  it as frequencies just
match up to closely.

So Question has anybody actually  used / use the Baofung  "sprog"  to
verify their 10G  kit and if so what sort of signal  levels do they observe
?

Cheers

Simon
G8ATB

Oh, forgot, it is also best to spot with /B for beacons, as sometimes
they aren't parsed into B'spot without that suffix, not sure why, but
don't want to pollute the  database with experimental spots!

DX 10368755 GB3LEX/B IO92IQ<RS>IO93NR 57S

Neil G4DBN

also s/Wong/Wrong/;

On 19/01/2021 17:00, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

> Rainscatter report replaces tone with 'S', so 59S on CW, but not usually
> on SSB - I use NBFM when rainscatter signals are strong. If you spot on
> the cluster, it helps with beacons if you use a standard layout like:
>
> DX 10368755 GB3LEX IO92IQ<RS>IO93NR 57S
>
> so Beaconspot can slurp the spot into the database.

John Fell

Should have added :
Get hold of a suitable sized sweet tin with lipped lid .
Drill hole thu a wall for an SMA bulkhead and bolt it in.
Link BF radio to socket and put an RF attenuator onto outside of socket.
Close lid with BF running .
Adjust level for lowest to get good readings .
With a reasonable close fit lid u can reduce RF source level well into noise to make it handy for system optimisation on RX or antenna range testing .
73
John

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 16:40, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via groups.io <humber1ton=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 04:25 PM, simonchettle wrote:
So Question has anybody actually used / use the Baofung "sprog" to verify their 10G kit and if so what sort of signal levels do they observe ?
Simon yes, it has been a lifeline to me as there are no beacons around here.

At 150m distance it is S2-3 on my 1m dish to Kuhne transverter & seems remarkably stable. Not only does it verify the rig but it is fundamental to check the dish alignment, by placing it on a particular fence post that is in alignment to GB3KBQ & G4UVZ which can be heard when conditions permit.

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Andy G4JNT

But it's a genuine 10GHz signal from et Baofeng
So you'd expect it on my your setups
What are you trying to say ?

As it's harmonic leakage from the PCB, levels will be unpredictable.
Better to make a proper marker generator - off the shelf oscillator module and a Schottky diode.   It's all you need.

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 16:25, simonchettle <simon@...> wrote:
Chaps

Returning to the original Header line re-  Baofeng UV 5R  on 10 GHz

As a matter of interest I tuned my UV3R  to 432.0125  and quickly found a
very big signal on 10G.  So big in fact that i  immediately thought the
"Sprog" was entering the system  (  20 dB horn,  Khune pre amp,Khune
transverter,  (144 IF) FT817  ).  So changed the 817  for the IC9100 - big
signal still there  I still need to find the Cct diag for the Transverter
but do not think the  "sprog" is coming direct  into  it as frequencies just
match up to closely.

So Question has anybody actually  used / use the Baofung  "sprog"  to
verify their 10G  kit and if so what sort of signal  levels do they observe
?

Cheers

Simon
G8ATB

Oh, forgot, it is also best to spot with /B for beacons, as sometimes
they aren't parsed into B'spot without that suffix, not sure why, but
don't want to pollute the  database with experimental spots!

DX 10368755 GB3LEX/B IO92IQ<RS>IO93NR 57S

Neil G4DBN

also s/Wong/Wrong/;

On 19/01/2021 17:00, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

> Rainscatter report replaces tone with 'S', so 59S on CW, but not usually
> on SSB - I use NBFM when rainscatter signals are strong. If you spot on
> the cluster, it helps with beacons if you use a standard layout like:
>
> DX 10368755 GB3LEX IO92IQ<RS>IO93NR 57S
>
> so Beaconspot can slurp the spot into the database.

Steve G4HTZ

Our Spanish friends published this around 2016

https://destevez.net/2016/07/phase-noise-of-a-baofeng-uv-5r-10ghz-signal/

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Denis Stanton G0OLX

If you move the frequency up by 12.5 KHz on the handheld the frequency on 10 GHz will move up 12.5 KHz times the multiplier times 24 if it’s 70 CMs about 300 KHz to confirm the signal is at 10 GHZ
Denis
G0OLX

On 22 Jan 2021, at 18:01, Steve G4HTZ via groups.io <essexsteve@...> wrote:

Our Spanish friends published this around 2016

https://destevez.net/2016/07/phase-noise-of-a-baofeng-uv-5r-10ghz-signal/

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Our Spanish friends published this around 2016

https://destevez.net/2016/07/phase-noise-of-a-baofeng-uv-5r-10ghz-signal/

Yes that's the link I posted in my initial post at the start of the thread.

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

simonchettle

Thanks to Dave , Clive and Andy

Yes tuning the baofung up 12.5 Kz  courses the 10 signal to move 300Khz so it is a 10 Ghz that I am receiving  additionally when I van get BF out out “Pulse”  mode  (and hence steady carrier) I can quite clearly see and hear to Doppler shift  as I move my hand  back and forth in front of the Horn.

Andy  The point of my mail was that I really did not expect a 24 harmonic to give an S9  signal (on the 817)  when the BF was placed a couple of inches in front of the Horn.  Intuitively  it just seemed to big a signal.  Anyhow now it appears the 10 G Kit is working I can press on and do a bit of calibrating / adjustment  so when the WX permits I can go out portable and initially  go Beacon Hunting.

Cheers  and thanks

All

Simon