Topics

Auctions (was Re: Marconi 6960B)

PP selling a lot of stuff from BBC Cardiff, Lots of tables and chairs etc. but in there is:
Lot 2371

3x Xicom TWTA travelling wave tube amplifiers (spares or repair)

No picture, no type No.!
I think there is a spectrum analyser in there somewhere as well.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Yep saw those, made a few phone calls  .. won't be bidding.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 08:55, Ken G3YKI <kenneth@...> wrote:
PP selling a lot of stuff from BBC Cardiff, Lots of tables and chairs etc. but in there is:
Lot 2371

3x Xicom TWTA travelling wave tube amplifiers (spares or repair)

No picture, no type No.!
I think there is a spectrum analyser in there somewhere as well.

Paul G8AQA

Have you further details Robin?

Paul G8AQA

On 17/11/2020 09:57, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
Yep saw those, made a few phone calls  .. won't be bidding.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 08:55, Ken G3YKI <kenneth@...> wrote:
PP selling a lot of stuff from BBC Cardiff, Lots of tables and chairs etc. but in there is:
Lot 2371

3x Xicom TWTA travelling wave tube amplifiers (spares or repair)

No picture, no type No.!
I think there is a spectrum analyser in there somewhere as well.

Mark GM4ISM

Ive seen similar in Outside Broadcast vehicles in the past.

 I think Cardiff may have had uplink capability from the Studio, Glasgow did if i recall

These are typically  300W+   satellite uplinks operation about 14GHz  The part no. confirms this and there is a manual online. I know there were 100W and 200W variants of the rooftop versions

 They probably will not work on 3cm without some modification. They have almost certainly got a waffle plate output filter to protect the downlink band (My version is the  rooftop waterproof type and has this fitted, it is essential).  Powering up with 10368 drive  unmodified is likely to  cause at bets a trip at worst permanent damage

If they have been in OB units they will be well used and 'all shook up' though that in itself shouldn't break them

Spares or repairs is always worrying..  Trust on the D type shells suggest that these have not been well cared for and have got damp.. EHT and damp are not good bedfellows

 Forced air cooled

These should carry a health warning.    300W of 10GHz is hazardous and even leaky flanges may be an issue.

Great for serious EME operation, not so good for terrestrial.  I run 50W  terrestrial and it make me a bit of an alligator. All mouth and no ears

If the price doest go silly I may bid, literally for spares.

Mark GM4ISM

On 17/11/2020 08:55, Ken G3YKI wrote:
PP selling a lot of stuff from BBC Cardiff, Lots of tables and chairs etc. but in there is:
Lot 2371

3x Xicom TWTA travelling wave tube amplifiers (spares or repair)

No picture, no type No.!
I think there is a spectrum analyser in there somewhere as well.

Lot 2141 is the OB van with the roof mounted units ... the info I had was that the ones on the vehicle are known to work, but the remote control has been removed from the vehicle and sent to news facilities in London.

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 08:51, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Link if interested.   There are two units on the roof,  I'm tempted if the price does not go silly ...

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 09:04, Robin Szemeti <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

It's a very popular van for small load courier services and they sell for silly money, the engine alone is worth quite a bit more than the current bid.

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 09:07, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

The info I had was that it was unlikely to pass an MOT by quite some margin,  it should still have the generator in the back though, which is a nice 3 cylinder Kubota usually, in a "Panda" box ...