Astra Satellite

Michael Scott

Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but not entirely.

I am trying to refurbish an old 60 cm dish which I modified years ago for OSCAR 40 and want to restore it to original  for some QO-100 experiments. I want to use Astra as a signal source to reposition the LNB in the optimum position. I have an SDRPlay RX which works well for QO-100 and have set the frequency to various IF frequencies for Astra 2E from the Freesat listing from Google, but can't see anything on the SDRPlay waterfall or other display.

Does Astra have a beacon or other signal which I should be able to see and use to optimise the dish?

Thanks,

Mike, G3LYP.

Colin G4EML

Colin G4EML.

On 2 May 2021, at 11:13, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp@...> wrote:

Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but not entirely.

I am trying to refurbish an old 60 cm dish which I modified years ago for OSCAR 40 and want to restore it to original  for some QO-100 experiments. I want to use Astra as a signal source to reposition the LNB in the optimum position. I have an SDRPlay RX which works well for QO-100 and have set the frequency to various IF frequencies for Astra 2E from the Freesat listing from Google, but can't see anything on the SDRPlay waterfall or other display.

Does Astra have a beacon or other signal which I should be able to see and use to optimise the dish?

Thanks,

Mike, G3LYP.

Michael Scott

Thanks Colin, quite a bit of information there for me to digest!

73, Mike.

On 02/05/2021 12:53, Colin G4EML wrote:

Colin G4EML.

On 2 May 2021, at 11:13, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp@...> wrote:

Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but not entirely.

I am trying to refurbish an old 60 cm dish which I modified years ago for OSCAR 40 and want to restore it to original  for some QO-100 experiments. I want to use Astra as a signal source to reposition the LNB in the optimum position. I have an SDRPlay RX which works well for QO-100 and have set the frequency to various IF frequencies for Astra 2E from the Freesat listing from Google, but can't see anything on the SDRPlay waterfall or other display.

Does Astra have a beacon or other signal which I should be able to see and use to optimise the dish?

Thanks,

Mike, G3LYP.

Graham - G3YJR

Mike,

I don't know about Astra. What I did was just use QO100 for lining up. The bottom and top end-of-band beacons of the narrow-band modes band were easily recognisable on an SDR display (I used GQRX software) and the mid-band beacon helps too.

There is a picture on my blog of the Goonhilly SDR waterfall and GQRX together. With both traces,  I knew I had the right satellite.

https://g3yjr.wordpress.com/2019/02/18/eshail-satellite-downlink-experiments/

You just need to get the polarisation right for the narrow modes band.

73 Graham

Luc , on4aol

Michael Scott

Many thanks Luc, very useful!

73, Mike.

On 08/05/2021 16:43, Luc , on4aol wrote:
Or maybe on this site

http://frequencyplansatellites.altervista.org/Beacon-Telemetry_Europe-Africa-MiddleEast.html

73 Luc on4aol