Apollo Microwaves Exposed

Neil Douglas

All,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v49ucdZcx9s

There is a series starting on YouTube examining some of the RF electronics used in the 1960’s Apollo space program.

There is a TWT PA module and a transponder module installed in the command module that are to be investigated.

This will be real RF design, no sending an order to MiniCircuits and mounting all the parts on a PCB.

The system was used to provide communications, telemetry  and an active radar for speed and direction all at S band.

They even provided a morse facility as a backup.

I suspect that there were many amateurs involved in the design of this system.

I can just imagine the QC procedure for checking the torque of all the SMA connectors on the transponder assembly.

The group doing the expose intend to open the modules to show what’s inside and then to power the complete system

 up and send some real signals through it.

73 NeilD

G4SHJ

militaryoperator

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 08:29 PM, Neil Douglas wrote:

All,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v49ucdZcx9s

There is a series starting on YouTube examining some of the RF electronics used in the 1960’s Apollo space program.

73 NeilD

G4SHJ

I found that channel some days ago Neil and have watched the entire series, comms and AGC with wonder and amazement.
They also covered a Russian Soyuz space clock and getting old teletype machines going.
What a fantastic group of chaps that is, just shows what can be done by enthusiastic minds and a bit of experimentation.
It must be very rewarding to be a part of such a group.
Hey ho, back to my lonely bench, hi.

Bernard G4BXD.