Anyone want to cast their eye over ...

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Anyone want to cast their eye over this Local Oscillator board before I send off for a board or 5?

Crystek VCO locked to a 10/20/40 MHz OCXO  via a 4513 synth chip .. to generate a low spurii/low phase noise 2256 MHz or whatever signal (depending on choice of VCO)

The 10/20/40 MHz OCXO can be locked to an external 10 MHz reference by an ADF4001, and a few logic gates to decide if the 10MHz signal is present ...

A PGA105+  lifts and buffers the output, with a pad in front to allow for setting of output level.

I've made a half-hearted attempt at isolating the various power feeds to the ADF chips with 100nH chokes and pairs of decoupling caps etc, 4 layer board with a  RF ground layer immediately beneath the top layer, power and control signals run around on the lower two layers.

LEDs indicate lock of each VCO stage and the presence of 10MHz ... anything else needed?  I have a spare pin on the ATTINY45, I could load an alternate set of frequency control registers maybe?

The OCXO can draw 600mA at warmup, 200mA running, so the 12V->5V reg is going to take a bit of a pasting, but I really don't fancy doing a buck converter for obvious reasons.

I'll put the Eagle files up on GitHUB if anyone is interested. I am trying to remember if the 148x111 Eisch tinplate boxes are external or internal size ..

If anyone spots any obvious errors, or has some design note ideas let me know ...

image.png

--
Best regards,

Robin Szemeti, G1YFG

And the GitHub repository, if anyone cares.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 17:36, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I'd be happier with a few ohms or tens  of ohms in the feed to the PGA105 output buffer.  Never trusted those devices running from a zero source impedance, even if the data sheets says you can.

[...]

Alan Melia

Hi Robin, Eisch sizes are external. you need to subtract 2mm to be safe and don't forget the flange on two oposite corners. Check your size is in the cataloge because I dont remember seeing 148 x 111mm , but that maybe because its one I have never been asked for. My printed cat is Kat09 which may account for it. However the last one I downloaded was May 2017 and that only goes to 148 x 75mm. This seems to be the last for download too.

Best Wishes
Alan
G3NYK

[...]

Noted Andy/JNT and added a 10R ...

Noted Alan/NYK  ... I'll trim the size down ... The current Eisch catalog is 2017

It shows the 148x111 box ...  let me know if you are likely to place an order soon, or I'll just order direct, as I need 25 Anglian boxes as well.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 18:08, Alan Melia via groups.io <Alan.Melia=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Maarten PA0MHE

Interestingly, I used the ADF4153 together with a HMC433 to repair a YIG PLL in my  Systron Donner generator.
73's Maarten PA0MHE

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Rodin
Could you order a couple more boxes for the
Anglian for me please, will sort out payment and delivery when they arrive!!!!
Denis
G0OLX

On 25 Nov 2022, at 19:43, Maarten PA0MHE <maarten.heuvelman@...> wrote:

Interestingly, I used the ADF4153 together with a HMC433 to repair a YIG PLL in my  Systron Donner generator.
73's Maarten PA0MHE

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I'm beginning to doubt my own sanity ... why I am I bleating on about a 148 box when the board is very clearly 111x55?  I think I need to go for a bit of a walk ...

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 18:28, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

It is Alan Melia placing the order for boxen.

I'm going to try and mount the passives on 30 Anglian boards this week ... then at least I will think I have achieved *something* ... although I might have said this before and failed, maybe this time will be different?

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 20:10, Denis Stanton G0OLX <Stantondenis@...> wrote:
Rodin
Could you order a couple more boxes for the
Anglian for me please, will sort out payment and delivery when they arrive!!!!
Denis
G0OLX

On 25 Nov 2022, at 19:43, Maarten PA0MHE <maarten.heuvelman@...> wrote:

Interestingly, I used the ADF4153 together with a HMC433 to repair a YIG PLL in my  Systron Donner generator.
73's Maarten PA0MHE

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Robin
Sorry
Alan
If you have a couple of Anglian boxes going spare, if not could your please order a pair for me.
Many thanks
Denis
G0OLX
PS

I could pick them up at the next Saturday morning breakfast meeting to save the postage !!!!

On 25 Nov 2022, at 20:11, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin@...> wrote:

[...]

SAM JEWELL

Denis,
If Alan can't help I have a couple that I don't need immediately (but will in due course).
I can bring them to breakfast tomorrow.

If anyone is looking for Iceni 70cm transverter kits, I have some parts including PCBs, helical filters, mixers and semiconductors (MMICs, bipolars). I have a few 101MHz crystals.
Probably no boxes, although the board fits nicely into one of the Hammond cases.
Enquiries off reflector, please.

73 de Sam, G4DDK

Sent tomorrow from my iPad 10

On 25 Nov 2022, at 20:18, Denis Stanton G0OLX <Stantondenis@...> wrote:

[...]

Bit of a clean up  ... Andy's suggestion incorporated, GitHub updated ...

image.png

On 25 Nov 2022, at 20:11, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Mark GM4ISM

Hi Robin

If I am reading it correctly schematic in your original post and the layout don't seem to match up with regards to component labels

  The 5V reg is IC9? but looks like its labelled IC6 on the layout?

 Regardless, if the regulator  is being stressed, it may be better to  have its tab right next to the board edge. That way, when the board is soldered into the case, the case will be able to provide a better heatsink.

On several units I have, including a 3cm DB6NT G2 transverter, I have soldered copper tabs to the outside of the tinplate box adjacent to the regulators and taken them straight to the side of the enclosure (die cast box). Tinplate boxes are not great heatsinks either, especially inside a sealed box.

The internals of the G2 run a lot cooler because of this.

Mark GM4ISM

On 25/11/2022 23:20, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io wrote:
[...]

gm4ism@...
dc2light.co.uk

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Sam
Thanks for the offer of the boxes
Still unable to drive after the detached retina
I will check if they are urgent otherwise it can wait until the new year
Happy Christmas to you
Maybe work you off the moon soon
Best 73
Denis G0OLX

[...]

Hi Mark,

The "current" version is the one on GitHub, I push changes to there.

I did re-number, the matching schematic and layout below.  Point about regulator noted,  rotated and re-routed.  Hopefully that will be sufficient, I did wonder about providing a separate feed to the 5V reg, from outside th box, which would enable the OCXO to be left powered up, which may be useful ... and a dropper resistor could help spread the heat. The input track is easily accessible, so it won't be an issue I think.

Current (hopefully matching versions) attached.

image.png

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 at 00:02, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Saro Satcom

Hi Robin,
Don't forget to add the OCXO Ref Multiturn Trimpot Potentiometer.

73
Saro VU2OBR

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 7:42 AM Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Andy G4JNT

You have added the 10R resistor in the input to the buffer.  That serves no purpose,other than perhaps add a bit of stability.    I stick a few ohms, or tens of, in series with the the L + DC feed, to give a bit more stabilisation in DC operating conditions.

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 at 02:12, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Gerhard_DK4XP

Methinks these Eisch boxes are really strapubox K25, available from multiple sources,
and quite common here in Germany. For example:

<    https://www.segor.de/#Q=K25&M=1    >  , 3rd entry

73,
Gerhard  DK4XP

Am 25.11.22 um 19:28 schrieb Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io:

Noted Andy/JNT and added a 10R ...

Noted Alan/NYK  ... I'll trim the size down ... The current Eisch catalog is 2017

It shows the 148x111 box ...  let me know if you are likely to place an order soon, or I'll just order direct, as I need 25 Anglian boxes as well.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 18:08, Alan Melia via groups.io <Alan.Melia=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Robin, Eisch sizes are external. you need to subtract 2mm to be safe and don't forget the flange on two oposite corners. Check your size is in the cataloge because I dont remember seeing 148 x 111mm , but that maybe because its one I have never been asked for. My printed cat is Kat09 which may account for it. However the last one I downloaded was May 2017 and that only goes to 148 x 75mm. This seems to be the last for download too.

Gerhard_DK4XP

This seems to be the original manufacturer:

<      http://www.schubert-gehaeuse.de/weissblechgehaeuse.html       >

Am 26.11.22 um 08:49 schrieb Gerhard_DK4XP via groups.io:

Methinks these Eisch boxes are really strapubox K25, available from multiple sources,
and quite common here in Germany. For example:

<    https://www.segor.de/#Q=K25&M=1    >  , 3rd entry

73,
Gerhard  DK4XP

SAM JEWELL

OK Denis, then these two boxes will probably go with the Iceni enquiries I have received overnight. I have also asked Alan to order me a few more boxes, as well, so one way or another you should be getting the boxes!

Good luck with the eye.

BTW, targeting getting the 3cm EME up for Julian and Co next weekend.

Sam

Sent tomorrow from my time machine