Any planned activity for the 10GHz Trophy this Sunday?

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I'd like to take a portable setup to one of my SOTA summits in the morning and need a minimum of four QSO's to qualify the summit.

Is it worth lugging the kit up?

Depending who is on and the WX, I'll either take a horn if it is windy and there are some "Locals" on or I could take a dish if not and there is no breeze.

Nick G0HIK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I should be out and about with the 10Ghz stuff and if I can get it sorted the 9cm stuff as well, depending on whether or not I have damaged the PA .. should be able to confirm either way sometime in the next day or so ...

On Tue, 3 May 2022 at 15:49, Nick Gregory G0HIK via groups.io <nickg0hik=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'd like to take a portable setup to one of my SOTA summits in the morning and need a minimum of four QSO's to qualify the summit.

Is it worth lugging the kit up?

Depending who is on and the WX, I'll either take a horn if it is windy and there are some "Locals" on or I could take a dish if not and there is no breeze.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Hi Robin,

Great.

The plan, very much weather dependent is 10G in the morning from a Summit and 23/9cms in the afternoon from the van.

Nick G0HIK

militaryoperator

I am in two minds Nick, not sure we could make it on 10Ghz and here its a lot of effort for usually little reward, and, as with you, it depends on wx as I am basically /p in effect on these bands.

I'll be watching the rain radar and see. I was wondering about using my horn over the 46cm dish, just easier to get up in the air, not sure what the gain differences are.

Could go actual /p I guess but again, a lot of messing about etc, hi.

cheers, Ben G4BXD

I'd like to take a portable setup to one of my SOTA summits in the morning and need a minimum of four QSO's to qualify the summit.

Is it worth lugging the kit up?

Depending who is on and the WX, I'll either take a horn if it is windy and there are some "Locals" on or I could take a dish if not and there is no breeze.

Nick G0HIK

Graham G3VKV

Hi Nick, keep us posted of timing, freq. etc - if you can take a dish should be no problem, it went last time on 10GHz
Should be enough stations on to make up the four
Only unknown is the WX at your end
Graham G3VKV

Neil Smith G4DBN

I should be on as well Nick.
Neil G4DBN

On 03/05/2022 16:48, Graham G3VKV via groups.io wrote:
Hi Nick, keep us posted of timing, freq. etc - if you can take a dish should be no problem, it went last time on 10GHz
Should be enough stations on to make up the four
Only unknown is the WX at your end

geoffrey pike

Depending on the weather i should be out with the new 10 GHz system from IO74BR40LR
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Tuesday, 3 May 2022, 15:49:05 BST, Nick Gregory G0HIK via groups.io <nickg0hik@...> wrote:

I'd like to take a portable setup to one of my SOTA summits in the morning and need a minimum of four QSO's to qualify the summit.

Is it worth lugging the kit up?

Depending who is on and the WX, I'll either take a horn if it is windy and there are some "Locals" on or I could take a dish if not and there is no breeze.

Nick G0HIK

G3PHO - Peter

I’ll be on from home in IO93GG, Chesterfield with 5W to a 48cm dish at 30 feet agl. …. Quite a good take off from 145 through 180 to 275 degrees.

Peter G3PHO
Sheffield & District Wireless Society

On 3 May 2022, at 15:49, Nick Gregory G0HIK via groups.io <nickg0hik@...> wrote:

I'd like to take a portable setup to one of my SOTA summits in the morning and need a minimum of four QSO's to qualify the summit.

Is it worth lugging the kit up?

Depending who is on and the WX, I'll either take a horn if it is windy and there are some "Locals" on or I could take a dish if not and there is no breeze.

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Thanks everyone for responding.

It looks like I might have a chance getting my four contacts.

I should be able to make it with DBN as we have done that recently and Geoff is very much LOS across the Irish Sea.

I'll post an update Saturday evening after I've looked at the forecast. https://www.mwis.org.uk/

Looking at my kit this afternoon, I don't think I'm going to be able to backpack my 2ft dish and tripod, so it will be the horn. But I'll see what I can do for the future as I do have a 60cm dish I can backpack for QO-100/13cm and a collapsible 90cm dish that has not been pressed into service yet.

BTW C.W. here is QRS, please 12-15 wpm :)

Nick G0HIK

Graham G3VKV

what were you using when we worked from IO84JE on 19th April  Nick just out of interest
Good path from here

Graham G3VKV

david656179

I hope to set up at home (weather dependant) JO02AD, 1.5 W to 46cm penny feed so maybe be able to make a few contacts

David G6KWA

Nick Gregory G0HIK

That was 13cm wasn't it?

If so it was the 25ele horn fed Tonna (with an element missing) and 2.5 watts from the SG-Labs

Nick G0HIK

Graham G3VKV

No 3cms  19 April  10368.12 IO84JE 54  54  -
You worked Nick and Paul as well
22 April  was 2.3 IO84IH
Graham

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Hi Graham,

Oh yes, Andrews 60cm dish, Kuhne G4 and 2.5 watts, 260m ASL.

Nick G0HIK

Graham G3VKV

That looks a good setup - also have one of those Andrew dishes
2m SSB talkback works fine to up there using that antenna

73 Graham

Nick Gregory G0HIK

The DX'ers would maybe not like that Diamond 10 ele.

It's very short, but being small and light weight it's proved to be ideal to backpack with and it also fits in the van easily.

Nick G0HIK

DAVID G4ASR

I will be on from home.  Excellent takeoff in all directions ... 700ft asl ... 5W system at masthead at 80ft agl ..

I will be on 'KST

07592 822 024

David G4ASR

David Hilton-Jones

David

Hope to work you from my home location (IO92mb) – 3w to 60cm dish.

Happy to try any time

David, G4YTL