Topics

Airscout

John Lemay

For the past week or so, Airscout has not been working well, and I see error
messages like "the remote server returned an error; (500) internal server
error".

I've disabled the Planefinder.net feed, which has improved things somewhat,
but it's not a cure.

Are others seeing error messages, and what can be done ?

Thanks,

John G4ZTR

https://www.avg.com

neil whiting

Hi John,

I've had this too - first noticed it last week.
I tried messing with the feeds too but like you I don't think it is fixed.

73, Neil G4BRK

Dave

Hello John,
The top half of my Airscout has never worked and I only realised recently how it might look. So I would be pleased to have it function as it should , though it is not essential to using the program. I await other posts with interest.
73
Dave G4GLT.

On 16 Feb 2021, at 10:01, neil whiting <neil@ignika.com> wrote:

Hi John,

I've had this too - first noticed it last week.
I tried messing with the feeds too but like you I don't think it is fixed.

73, Neil G4BRK

Neil Smith G4DBN

Anything in the log file?  I'm using the ADSB Exchange feed with the internal API key and query URL string

https://public-api.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/AircraftList.json?fNBnd=%MAXLAT%&;fSBnd=%MINLAT%&fWBnd=%MINLON%&fEBnd=%MAXLON%&fAltL=%MINALTFT%&fAltU=%MAXALTFT%

and it seems to be working normally at the moment.

Neil G4DBN

On 16/02/2021 09:13, John Lemay wrote:
For the past week or so, Airscout has not been working well, and I see error
messages like "the remote server returned an error; (500) internal server
error".

I've disabled the Planefinder.net feed, which has improved things somewhat,
but it's not a cure.

Are others seeing error messages, and what can be done ?

Thanks,

John G4ZTR

neil whiting

Anything in the log file?
That's a very good question Neil.

I found the log file and indeed the error in mine is associated with the radarbox24 feed.
I removed that one from my selected feeds and no longer get the same error.
There were a couple of:
System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly
but the planes are showing again despite these messages.

I don't know how to set that ADSB Exchange feed path in the options.

Thanks/73
Neil G4BRK

DAVID G4ASR

mine is running ok  ..i re-installed it yesterday and left it updating all the databases  .... it was running ok last night .... and all today .... so far

RTL290 .... Open Sky .....  Virtual Radar Server

David G4ASR

Tony G4NBS

I was using both Virtual Radar Server and Planefinder with the same results last Tuesday in the UKAC John.

Switched to only using OpenSky after Paul G3YDY suggestion - did not need to re-install anything, it simply worked OK since.

Regards
Tony G4NBS

Dave

I loaded up the new version v1-3-3-5 and with David G4ASR’s suggestion let it load up all night. The outcome is that I can at last see the top window for the first time. The only problem now is that it is not populated with any planes at all. Do I need to change a setting?
73
Dave G4GLT.

On 16 Feb 2021, at 20:08, Tony G4NBS via groups.io <anthony.collett@...> wrote:

I was using both Virtual Radar Server and Planefinder with the same results last Tuesday in the UKAC John.

Switched to only using OpenSky after Paul G3YDY suggestion - did not need to re-install anything, it simply worked OK since.

Regards
Tony G4NBS

John Lemay

Dave

1.       Have you selected at least one plane feed in Options / Planes ?

2.       Have you input a DX station call and locator and pressed Play (bottom right button) ?

3.        Do you have a message at the bottom of the screen like “192 positions updated from webfeed” ?

John G4ZTR

I loaded up the new version v1-3-3-5 and with David G4ASR’s suggestion let it load up all night. The outcome is that I can at last see the top window for the first time. The only problem now is that it is not populated with any planes at all. Do I need to change a setting?

73

Dave G4GLT.

On 16 Feb 2021, at 20:08, Tony G4NBS via groups.io <anthony.collett@...> wrote:

I was using both Virtual Radar Server and Planefinder with the same results last Tuesday in the UKAC John.

Switched to only using OpenSky after Paul G3YDY suggestion - did not need to re-install anything, it simply worked OK since.

Regards
Tony G4NBS

Dave

Thank you John,
I now have Airscout working perfectly for the first time ever! Am using Virtual Radar and think I pressed all the right buttons!
73
Dave G4GLT.

[...]

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Thanks to the comments on here that has given me the courage to have another bash at trying to get Airscout to run again. I always found it difficult to set up with lots pastes & strange settings that I didn't understand but anyway I got it to work, but 6 months ago it started giving me error warnings about JIT debuggers & was unusable.

Anyway I downloaded the latest version which seemed amazingly easy to install. The only drawback is that the map is now too detailed, I don't need to know where motorways & various towns are located as it makes seeing the aircraft less obvious. Is there a way to simplify the map as to how it was before?

I have removed the airports which has helped declutter it a bit. When I looked at the map selection there were dire warnings about using other maps at my own risk, whatever that might be.

I selected my source as "Virtual Radar Server" is that the best one? Is there any advantage of also using up to two more? I used to find it annoying on the old version that I would be waiting for a red plane to change to purple, but it stayed put then a minute or so it had jumped the line & turned grey : (
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!