Topics

Aerials: was Serious Apostrophacalyspe

militaryoperator

The word "aerial is short for "aerial wire" & dates back to Marconi's time, so dishes & Yagis etc should not be called
aerials.
de John G8SEQ

The C.E.D. disagrees:  Surely you can have "an aerial", we used to say "TV Aerial", whilst working as a Radio & TV Engineer I never had anyone ask for  "TV Antenna". Anyway, not really that important is it?.
Ben.

aerial
noun C ]
UK
  /ˈeə.ri.əl/ US
  /ˈer.i.əl/
(also mainly US antenna)
structure made of metal rods or wires that receives or sends out radio or television signals

Reg Woolley

I served in the RAF for 12 years as an Aerial Erector. We worked on all sorts. Never once did we use the term Antenna.

Reg g8vhi

Sent from Samsung tablet.

The word "aerial is short for "aerial wire" & dates back to Marconi's time, so dishes & Yagis etc should not be called
aerials.
de John G8SEQ

The C.E.D. disagrees:  Surely you can have "an aerial", we used to say "TV Aerial", whilst working as a Radio & TV Engineer I never had anyone ask for  "TV Antenna". Anyway, not really that important is it?.
Ben.

aerial
noun C ]
UK
  /ˈeə.ri.əl/ US
  /ˈer.i.əl/
(also mainly US antenna)
structure made of metal rods or wires that receives or sends out radio or television signals

Chris G0WUS

In the Royal Signals in the 90s and the joke was Aerial "used to wash your clothes in a washing machine".  Antenna was the only recognised name for it.

Chris G0WUS

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

The RAF train the Royal Signals!

Sent from Samsung tablet.

[...]

Colin Ranson

Blandford speak !

Colin.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Mark GM4ISM

These days I am a Antenna engineer, although I used to be ' STE  Aerials  '   or in some circles a 'twig doctor'

I was a member of the Ariel radio group...

Names mean little to those  who practice  the dark arts employing smith charts and complex notation.  It just Magic

We don't cast chicken bones, Norstel clamps,  N bolts or M10 studding or anything from 1000' up.

Mark GM4ISM

On 01/11/2020 13:06, Reg Woolley via groups.io wrote:
[...]

alwyn.seeds1

Dear All,

As well as aerial wires, one can have aerial rods and aerial dishes.

So, enjoying English usages, I shall continue with my Yagi-Uda aerials.

BTW, Yagi was Ambrose Fleming’s student and Fleming was Marconi’s technical consultant so I should look at Yagi’s papers to see what he called them.

Regards,

Alwyn

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU,
England.

Chris G0WUS

Certainly was colin. I was the only systems tech that was fluent in cw lol

[...]

Keith

I can accept aerial, aerials or antenna, antennas, BUT NEVER antennae.
I have a few hams local here in Perth who insist on using Antennae, and they really bug me ( sigh )
Cheers
Keith

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

Ah if only I could attach the monkey drums gif as reply.

Well played pun.

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020, 14:09 Keith, <Keith@...> wrote:
I can accept aerial, aerials or antenna, antennas, BUT NEVER antennae.
I have a few hams local here in Perth who insist on using Antennae, and they really bug me ( sigh )
Cheers
Keith

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

User Handbook for Radio Installations in FFR 'B' Vehicles 1963

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Gordon REASON

ould be dispatched to Perthae,  downunderae .

On 02 November 2020 at 14:09 Keith <Keith@...> wrote:

I can accept aerial, aerials or antenna, antennas, BUT NEVER antennae.
I have a few hams local here in Perth who insist on using Antennae, and they really bug me ( sigh )
Cheers
Keith

Tim, VK2XAX

ooooh I spat my coffee and ROFL :-D

On 3/11/20 3:31 am, Gordon REASON via groups.io wrote:

ould be dispatched to Perthae,  downunderae .

On 02 November 2020 at 14:09 Keith <Keith@...> wrote:

I can accept aerial, aerials or antenna, antennas, BUT NEVER antennae.
I have a few hams local here in Perth who insist on using Antennae, and they really bug me ( sigh )
Cheers
Keith

--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA