A Proud Owner CG

Algenon M0JIO

I am now the proud owner of an SG-Labs 23cm transverter and PA1296 amplifier. Yeasu ft-817 complete with TCXO-9 Crystal. A Wimo 23cm SHF 2328 Yagi. Finally, a LIPO battery complete with fire jacket. So I am all set to join the great world of microwaves.

I seek advice on what coax to connect it all up with. Is RG-58 ok to connect SMA to the N-type needed for the antenna?

My plan is to try a mobile location for my first QSO pre-arranged with a fellow amateur. This is so that I get a good take-off.

Any advice greatfully received.

73
Alan
M0JIO

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

I would forget the RG58 ........ I will allow others to suggest a better cable ..........

On 05 May 2021 at 21:37 Algenon M0JIO <alg_edwards@...> wrote:

I am now the proud owner of an SG-Labs 23cm transverter and PA1296 amplifier. Yeasu ft-817 complete with TCXO-9 Crystal. A Wimo 23cm SHF 2328 Yagi. Finally, a LIPO battery complete with fire jacket. So I am all set to join the great world of microwaves.

I seek advice on what coax to connect it all up with. Is RG-58 ok to connect SMA to the N-type needed for the antenna?

My plan is to try a mobile location for my first QSO pre-arranged with a fellow amateur. This is so that I get a good take-off.

Any advice greatfully received.

73
Alan
M0JIO

ian hope (2E0IJH)

58 is ok as feeder to transverter, but you need something like LMR400 or better from the PA or your watts will go nowhere, and maybe Rg316 or similar as a interconnect between Transverter and PA

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2021 at 9:56 PM
From: "Gordon REASON via groups.io" <gordonj.reason@...>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] A Proud Owner CG

I would forget the RG58 ........ I will allow others to suggest a better cable ..........

On 05 May 2021 at 21:37 Algenon M0JIO <alg_edwards@...> wrote:

I am now the proud owner of an SG-Labs 23cm transverter and PA1296 amplifier. Yeasu ft-817 complete with TCXO-9 Crystal. A Wimo 23cm SHF 2328 Yagi. Finally, a LIPO battery complete with fire jacket. So I am all set to join the great world of microwaves.

I seek advice on what coax to connect it all up with. Is RG-58 ok to connect SMA to the N-type needed for the antenna?

My plan is to try a mobile location for my first QSO pre-arranged with a fellow amateur. This is so that I get a good take-off.

Any advice greatfully received.

73
Alan
M0JIO

Paul G4KZY

Congratulations Alan,

You will find that RG58 has about 0.7dB of loss per metre.  So a length of say 10m will have 7db of loss, and this means ...

- Your Rx noise figure will go from about 2dB (reasonably sensitive on 23cm) to 9dB (quite deaf on 23cm)
- Your 2 watts output will have been reduced to about 400 mW at the antenna.

I use Ultraflex 10, terminated with N connectors. A 10m length of this has about 1.6dB of loss at 23cm.

I find that Ultraflex 10 is a good compromise between low loss and the cable being too bulky and inflexible for portable use, and it is quite reasonably priced.  You can get it from Martyn Lynch, among other places.

Take care to be gentle with it and especially don't allow kinks to form.

There are better cables than Ultraflex 10, with lower losses and correspondingly higher costs.

Hope this helps.

73,

Paul G4KZY

militaryoperator

I am now the proud owner of an SG-Labs 23cm transverter and PA1296 amplifier. Yeasu ft-817 complete with TCXO-9 Crystal. A Wimo 23cm SHF 2328 Yagi. Finally, a LIPO battery complete with fire jacket. So I am all set to join the great world of microwaves.
I seek advice on what coax to connect it all up with. Is RG-58 ok to connect SMA to the N-type needed for the antenna?
My plan is to try a mobile location for my first QSO pre-arranged with a fellow amateur. This is so that I get a good take-off.
Any advice greatfully received.
73
Alan
M0JIO

Obviously many will say no to rg58. If your going portable then you might even use the trvrt and pa mounted just below the ant?

so you might be ok with a short length of 316 say, 8-10inch. It depends on how you intend to mount it etc.

pic of my 23cms SGL in box and my 10Ghz mounted behind ant.

Ben

Lou Blasco

I agree with Ben,

Mount the transverter near the yagi and use a short bit of flexible coax. RG58 should be fine for the IF coax.

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 8:12 AM militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Congratulations Alan, Hope we will work soon.

I've used a similar setup portable, mount the amplifier at the aerial if possible, with a short patch lead. The cable after the amplifier is not so important as there is pre/amp in there also.
I used LMR400 and the DXshop with make up the lead for you.

The important thing is to get on the band and use what you have available.

I have found that the Pre amp in the Amplifier to get overloaded at some portable locations near mast sites

See you soon.

Nick G0HIK IO84

Dave G6HEF

I second what Nick says re:LMR400. Much more robust than other foil type coax out there that I’ve seen as the foil is bonded to the dielectric helping stop creases that go on to cause fractures.

I look forward to catching you on 23!

Dave
G6HEF

Algenon M0JIO

Thanks for all your replies- very helpful. I like Ben’s set up in a box, so I shall build one of those and use LMR400 from the Dxshop.

I’ll be back with an update when I get it working.

73
Alan
M0JIO

On Fri, 7 May 2021, at 07:54, Dave G6HEF wrote:

I second what Nick says re:LMR400. Much more robust than other foil type coax out there that I’ve seen as the foil is bonded to the dielectric helping stop creases that go on to cause fractures.

I look forward to catching you on 23!

Dave
G6HEF

Regards,