Enough is enough

David Ackrill <david.ackrill@...>

Tonights 23cm UKAC contest was, I think, the end to my microwave activities. 4 stations worked in an hour, 3 squares and the final nail when PA0S gave the same contest number to the next station that he worked after trying with me.

I enjoyed 10GHz and 24GHz WBFM from hills arround where I used to live in Birmingham.  10GHz narrowband I never really got the hang of, so I sold the gear a few years ago.  I still have the old 24Ghz narrowband gear that I was given. Maybe a museum will take it off my hands at some point.

23cm was OK, untill I took the antenna down and found the water ingress into the coaxial cable feeding up to the pre-amp. Putting the 23cm antenna on a 4.5 metre pole, even with new feeder and putting the preamp under the 23cm Yagi, has not proved to be a success.  I couldn't even see many other stations in IO93, other than the guy who lives just up the road from me anyway.

As they say, beating your head against a brick wall feels good when you stop doing it.

Dave (G0DJA)

Graham - G3YJR

Sorry to miss you Dave. The shack was the hottest place in the house, so I gave it a miss for my health's sake.

Graham

g4zod@btinternet.com

Due to technical reasons, I could not pump up my mast tonight.

I worked one station not to far from me (IO91) and other than that nothing.

Called CQ, still nothing.

I did hear someone working the PA station, but I could not hear him.

May be if my mast had been pumped up I would have been more successful?

My shack was hovering at about 30 C. May be people did not fancy sitting operating in uncomfortable conditions?

However I will not give up yet as I have invested time and effort setting up my low powered modest station.

G4ZOD

[...]

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Thats a shame, I actually prefer the bands with few contacts ... 23cm has always been a favourite band of mine (even if I am "between aerials" at the moment ... )  I started with 80mw from the "Interdigital converter" in the VHF/UHF manual and had numerous good long distance contacts with it.  I just wish there was more activity outside contest nights!

I don't think many people were on anyway, because of the crushingly hot weather ... see if you still feel the same way when the dark nights of autumn arrive ...

On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 at 22:32, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

militaryoperator

My shack was hovering at about 30 C. May be people did not fancy sitting operating in uncomfortable conditions?
However I will not give up yet as I have invested time and effort setting up my low powered modest station.
G4ZOD

My attic uw shack was like a sweat box in Changi, I had two big fans running, just moving the hot air around, but did fair, 29 worked, not earth-shattering but had all those who were logged onto KST actually replied to my requests for a qSo it would have been more.

I have saved my meep list, will make a list of those who DNR, did not reply, and pin it on uw shack wall.

Shall not waste my time next contest.

Ben G4BXD

Andy MM0FMF

On 19/07/2022 21:40, David Ackrill wrote:
Tonights 23cm UKAC contest was, I think, the end to my microwave activities.
Let me know if you are selling off any gear.

Andy

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Four stations in an hour sounds like a good result in my book. I had one QSO all evening, a half contact & heard three other stations but they cleared off quickly presumable to meet up for skeds on KST rather than looking around.

I put out lots of calls, mainly on CW so perhaps that was the limiting factor which is a shame as it should reap more contacts.

I didn't entirely waste the evening on 23cm, I was concurrently viewing another rig looking for AS on 6cm. I had more fun in the afternoon finding some unexpected RS & heard two signals of 3cm & one on 6cm. I'm not too fussed what happens on UKACs most of my enjoyment comes outside contests, so I won't get too upset about one contact : )

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

KENT BRITAIN

Hot???    At the moment it's 44C outside!

But your houses just are not made for it.

Kent WA5VJB/G8EMY   Texas

On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 04:39:12 PM CDT, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

He's already unsubscribed from this Group - I got the unsubscription notification at 22:14.

[...]

I do not use KST so I am on a loser before I even start??

What happened to calling and listening to the bands?

(and I am not a Luddite!)

Julian

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:03 PM, g4zod@... wrote:
I do not use KST so I am on a loser before I even start??
Yes we are Julian

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

SAM JEWELL

Quite. Hardly normal for us. It’s still over 29 C in here. Thunderstorms  tomorrow.
Sam

Sent tomorrow from my time machine

On 19 Jul 2022, at 22:55, KENT BRITAIN <wa5vjb@...> wrote:

[...]

Ben 2E0TXQ

Shame not to work you Dave, I missed out on IO93…and a real shame if this was indeed your last!

Tonight was my first 23cm contest and my first contest with my new call 2E0TXQ. The heat meant the kids wouldn’t sleep so I was half hour late starting and had distractions throughout; still I’m reasonably pleased for a first attempt

14 QSOs, 7 squares from my 2w and 23 ele

Hoping to get many more of you in the log next month!

Thanks to all who persevered for me tonight, as always very much appreciated

On 19 Jul 2022, at 21:40, David Ackrill <david.ackrill@...> wrote:

[...]

2E0TXQ / M7TXR

Anthony Coldman

Clive GW4MBS, sorry we didn’t complete, not sure what happened heard you OK and gave you your information and then nothing?

Hard night defiantly lower activity I am sure due to the heat and difficult conditions.  I also had to change my operating as constant calling caused the amplifier temperature to increase so I had to go S&P to let it cool down 😊.

It also didn’t help when Airscout stopped working , making some of the more distant contacts impossible, but still managed to work GM4JTJ without it so contacts are possible.

Thanks for contacts  Anthony G7LRQ

I do not use KST so I am on a loser before I even start??

Yes we are Julian

--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Anthony I got my report then lost you. I assume it was AS, but I did hear you later on & called.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

David Hilton-Jones

GM Clive

I’m relatively new to 3cm. I have a 1.8m dish and 20 watts for EME. For tropo a 60cm dish and 3 watts.

I have been on EME for about 9 months and worked 30 initials. The dish is offset, and I’m limited to elevation above ~20 degrees, so no use for tropo/RS/etc.

But on tropo I have much less experience and am very keen to experiment and learn more! In particular, I’d like to try rain scatter.

I can normally copy the Taunton beacon. Yesterday there was a band of rain between us. There was marked signal enhancement, with a lot of spreading.

I’d be very keen to try with you when we have some precipitation between us – and I’m sure you have more experience than I do, so very open to suggestions.

What I used yesterday, to see the rain between me and Taunton, was:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=Rainfall&fcTime=1658263800&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01

but if there are any better facilities then please let me know.

73

David, G4YTL (IO92mb)

[...]

DF6NA Rainer

Hi David,

you can use this page:
https://home.hccnet.nl/uffe.noucha/weurope.htm

Enter your locator and can you get QTF and QRB to the scatter center.
Depending of the hight of the center (up tp 12km) you can reach a center
in up to ~400km. The center does not have to be between you and the other
station but could be on the side or even behind the station as long as it is
within the reach of both stations. When the center is close to you, you should
have elevation.

vy 73, Rainer

Am 20.07.2022 um 09:03 schrieb David Hilton-Jones via groups.io:

[...]

Oh I called and called Julian. I have a CQ call in one of the voice memories on the 705 so it saves a lot of throat power, so I did call and I did tune and call others,I heard GD8EXI calling and called and worked him.

But, KST is handy as someone might have their beams pointing East !!! for most of the night so its the only way you can get them to look inland.

But, it would be nice if those connected on KST could reply if meeped, even a curt "busy" like I got the other week is better than ignorance.

Hey, Ho, only a hobby!

Ben

My attic uw shack was like a sweat box in Changi, I had two big fans running, just moving the hot air around, but did fair, 29 worked, not earth-shattering but had all those who were logged onto KST actually replied to my requests for a qSo it would have been more.
I have saved my meep list, will make a list of those who DNR, did not reply, and pin it on uw shack wall.
Shall not waste my time next contest.
Ben G4BXD

David Hilton-Jones

Many tnx Rainer – I will play!

David

[...]

David I started using 10GHz RS about 50 years ago when I was lucky enough to live under the path of the G3JVL-G3YGF pioneering daily tests. In those days most activity was portable & rain opportunities were limited. I was also being told from one professional quarter that RS was of no practical value & I was just wasting my time trying to use it.

Things have moved on & we now have nice rain maps that are of enormous help. I work G4UVZ Taunton firing up the hillside of my valley every day, often by rain scatter even when there is no rain! By that I mean we get enhancements with all the characteristics of RS yet the rain radars show no rain anywhere around. It is as if there are pre-rain clouds that are of use yet not dense enough to show up on the radars that the public can access.

So these maps can be very useful, but too heavy reliance on them can result in stations declining a test because there is no or insufficient rain on the radar. This problem is more prevalent in the cut & thrust of a contest, although most of my microwave activity is outside of contests.

Ben BXD yes I wish there was a meep button on KST to indicate engaged or try later. Replying can be difficult  when several meeps arrive in the middle of a test. It was for this reason on the VHF/UHF bands that I gave up using KST as it introduced more stress & upset than it was worth. I seemed to work just as many stations by direct communication, which is far more fun & more satisfying.

I might review my attitude of KST on 23cm, but on the higher bands it is essential. Although on two occasions I have been called directly on 10GHz by G4CLA after the completion of another QSO, which is always a nice surprise.

David back to your post, pretty much anytime you want a test message me.