GHz Bands column input requested

g4bao

Hi All

Its that time of year when it's hard to find much interesting going on that makes good column inches, so I'd appreciate any news or Tech Snippets etc by Wednesday at the latest please.

Otherwise It'll be another "Fen Edge Soapbox" and we don't want that, do we? ! :-)

Someone must have done something remarkable, but I have to admit I haven't .....

:-)

73

John

David Hilton-Jones

Hi John

A fallow time of year!

Making progress on 3cm EME – now 21# and 13 DXCC

Slowly building a system for 3cm tropo/rain scatter from home – will be a 60cm dish and 3 watts output. Hope to be QRV by February.

Managed to find a power meter and sensor head at reasonable price – HP437B and HP8481A head (-30dbm to 20dbm)

Do you know if Martlesham will go ahead this year?

Unrelated to column, I will send you an email I recently received from PA3DZL – might be of interest.

73

David, G4YTL

Its that time of year when it's hard to find much interesting going on that makes good column inches, so I'd appreciate any news or Tech Snippets etc by Wednesday at the latest please.

Otherwise It'll be another "Fen Edge Soapbox" and we don't want that, do we? ! :-)

Someone must have done something remarkable, but I have to admit I haven't .....

:-)

73

John

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Hi John, I've been blogging various bits of "stuff" at https://g1yfg.blogspot.com/ but nothing really complete yet. I hope to complete the final verison of the 13cm LNA at some point which may then make enough for an article ...

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 18:57, g4bao <john@...> wrote:
Hi All

Its that time of year when it's hard to find much interesting going on that makes good column inches, so I'd appreciate any news or Tech Snippets etc by Wednesday at the latest please.

Otherwise It'll be another "Fen Edge Soapbox" and we don't want that, do we? ! :-)

Someone must have done something remarkable, but I have to admit I haven't .....

:-)

73

John

SAM JEWELL

The Martlesham Organisers are looking at a possible one day event for 2022. Details will be announced when firmer arrangements have been made.
Hope to see lots of you there.

Sam, G4DDK

[...]

Barry Chambers

GM John

I have been  doing some 122GHz tests with G0EWN and G4APV; best dx so far is 12km. More signal is in hand but initial dish alignment in bright sunlight is the problem at present. We have been using red light boxes as alignment aids but need bigger lenses in front of the Phlatlights so will have to dig out the old red light rigs which G0EWN and I still have from the "old days"!

As a diversion, I am also looking at fitting a QRSS1/3 decoder into my 30THz receivers as recording such slow cw by hand is very tedious. Yes, I know about PC software to read QRSS but want the 30THz system to be portable. The 30THz Rxs already have signal detection so a QRSS decoder only needs a software few timers and a buffer since it can also use the existing Rx LCD display.

73

Barry, G8AGN

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Hi John
Having seen Peters reply
I am also now have EME TX capabilities and have so far made 5 contacts in 5 countries using Q65 60 D or E
Using a standard 1.2 metre offset dish and standard SPID RAS. 1 degree rotator mounted at 2.4 metres above ground which keeps the near field above people heads to meet the new Ofcom field strength standards!!!!!!
Kuhne Coaxial low noise preamp and a 22 Watt SSPA giving 15 Watts allowing for ferrite isolator, coaxial relay and leads and connectors
Feed is I0JXX, Sun noise is not brilliant 4 to 5 dB on a good day and moon noise about 0.2 dB
Finding the moon without the DL0SHF beacon is difficult but not impossible as most of contacts have been without the moon beacon which by the way is suffering from an Az El problem according to Per who is unable to fix due to bad weather conditions on site
Hope that may fill a few lines for you best 73
Denis
G0OLX

Kuhne G3 transverter

On 17 Jan 2022, at 11:27, Barry Chambers <b.chambers@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the great input so far! Seems it's not such a quiet time after all!
Keep it coming as anything that misses the RadCom deadline will get in to the Scatterpoint Activity report that I'll be working on next/
Here I've been down the rabbit hole of repairing a dodgy Windows PC for almost 2 weeks now followed by a Win 11 update (which went without a hitch BTW!)
All my ancient radio apps seem to work on the the new Motherboard and OS, so just the final backups to do and I can get back to radio projects including finishing the software for the 24GHz EME TWT controller.

73 All
Hope we get to meet face to face again soon, its been so long there are now active people on the reflector I've not met!!

John

Andrew M0CWX

How about a minimal working example receiver for 2.3GHz? Getting me an RX (of sorts) on 13 cms.

Using cheap ADF4351 for LO on 1888 MHz;
homemade (yes that’s tinfoil and garden wire!) bi-quad;
mixer I got as junk at the Roundtable and
an SDR dongle.

Not going to win a DX award but on the waterfall is GB3ZME 25 miles away from the antenna on the bench.

Best wishes,
Andrew
M0CWX
Halesowen
IO82XK

Andy G4JNT

I think there are mixers in the chipbank that go to 2GHz+
In fact...
IIRC...
There was a 2.4GHz upconverter design doing the rounds a couple of years ago based on chipbank components.
So could probably be turned into an Rx one way or another.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 19:40, Andrew M0CWX <ajm143@...> wrote:
How about a minimal working example receiver for 2.3GHz? Getting me an RX (of sorts) on 13 cms.

Using cheap ADF4351 for LO on 1888 MHz;
homemade (yes that’s tinfoil and garden wire!) bi-quad;
mixer I got as junk at the Roundtable and
an SDR dongle.

Not going to win a DX award but on the waterfall is GB3ZME 25 miles away from the antenna on the bench.

Best wishes,
Andrew
M0CWX
Halesowen
IO82XK

John Worsnop <johnworsnop@...>

I think Scatterpoint will be interested in the details of that!
Not really room for full tech articles in my 2 page column. Send it to editor@... and I'll rreference it in the column when it is published!

73
John

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 19:40, Andrew M0CWX <ajm143@...> wrote:
How about a minimal working example receiver for 2.3GHz? Getting me an RX (of sorts) on 13 cms.

Using cheap ADF4351 for LO on 1888 MHz;
homemade (yes that’s tinfoil and garden wire!) bi-quad;
mixer I got as junk at the Roundtable and
an SDR dongle.

Not going to win a DX award but on the waterfall is GB3ZME 25 miles away from the antenna on the bench.

Best wishes,
Andrew
M0CWX
Halesowen
IO82XK

VK5OI John

Great stuff Andrew, that's what it's all about, in my opinion.
Messing around with a mixer, cheap PLL LO and in my case an FT-817 for the IF was the "lightbulb" moment when I realised working on the uwave bands was doable for me.
As you probably know, the mixer will also work (to some degree) as a subharmonic mixer so the LO could be 3312MHz (432MHz IF) for 10GHz, or any of the bands in between, but out of fundamental reach of the ADF4351.

thanks for sharing
John VK5OI

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 6:10 AM Andrew M0CWX <ajm143@...> wrote:
How about a minimal working example receiver for 2.3GHz? Getting me an RX (of sorts) on 13 cms.

Using cheap ADF4351 for LO on 1888 MHz;
homemade (yes that’s tinfoil and garden wire!) bi-quad;
mixer I got as junk at the Roundtable and
an SDR dongle.

Not going to win a DX award but on the waterfall is GB3ZME 25 miles away from the antenna on the bench.

Best wishes,
Andrew
M0CWX
Halesowen
IO82XK

Colin Ranson

Sam,    A one day event would be nice.

Good to see you  and your good lady the other day.

Best regards

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows

Its that time of year when it's hard to find much interesting going on that makes good column inches, so I'd appreciate any news or Tech Snippets etc by Wednesday at the latest please.

Otherwise It'll be another "Fen Edge Soapbox" and we don't want that, do we? ! :-)

Someone must have done something remarkable, but I have to admit I haven't .....

:-)

73

John

Michael Scott

Yes, those parts used in G4EML's converter are still available!

73, Mike, G3LYP