From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave via groups.io
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 18:54
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] 10GHz Capable Sig Gen WB SG 1

Hello Jim,

I bought mine from Aliexpress. Make sure you buy the right version.

73

Dave G4GLT.

On 9 Sep 2021, at 21:54, jimbod1973 . <jimbod1973@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I was looking at the WB SG 1 sig gen as described in the May Scatterpoint and was wondering if there is a recommended vendor for these? - ebay shows several different sources, I'm not sure if these are available direct form BG7TBL? What I'm after is a signal source to get my 3cm system going.

Thanks
73 Jim G0MPP

Chris G3WIE

I have one of the 15GHz WB-SG1 models to aid my late return to 10GHz.  As reported by Bryan G8DKK in the August 2021 Scatterpoint the output level is randomly set by the 00 - 31 adjustment. I found different values to the ones that Bryan reports. I "measured" at the end of a 180mm piece of Sucoflex 141, a few spot frequencies  with my Siglent SA up to 3GHz (±1dBish), then courtesy of Brian G4NNS with his HP power meter on 10GHz. Looking just at the closest magic numbers for 0dBm:

Freq           DKK   WIE
1296MHz    07       16
2400MHz    04       09
10368MHz  12       15

My maximum outputs (dBm) at 31 also differ:

Freq           DKK   WIE
1296MHz    7.6       3.5
2400MHz    8.6      6.1
10368MHz  3.2      2.2

(I hope those tables survive group.io formatting. The preview function in the extended toolbar says they do....)

The accuracy and stability on 10GHz were very good. Against G4NNS GPS-locked counter, the 10GHz signal was 100Hz out, easily adjusted by the trimpot. After retiring for a suitable experimental interval (lunch at the pub), the frequency had moved about 10Hz.

73

Chris G3WIE

jimbod1973 .

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions, the synth followed by a tripler sounds like a good idea and I'm not too worried if the output is not particularly clean as I only intend to use it for setting up the RX at this stage. Like you say it should be good enough to get me going.

Jim G0MPP

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021 at 11:06 AM Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
I did something similar, using an LMX2541 synth as the source and an under-run ERA-1 as the tripler.   The filter was an evanescent design built in WG20,  then the 10GHz amplified in a surplus module up to +22dBm for a personal beacon source.

JT4G modulation was added using direct programming of the synthesizer.

On Fri, 10 Sept 2021 at 19:44, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
I also needed a signal source to get going on 10 GHz. My solution was to use a tripler after an ADF 4350 synth module. The tripler I chose was the RMK-3-153 from MCL. It works very well over quite a wide band and gives around -10dBm out for + 11 dBm in, and 2Fin and 4Fin are both respectably low. I used one of the ERA series amps with suitable input attenuation to raise the level of the synth up to +11 dBm. I used a printed HPF at the output to attenuate the drive signal.

The multiplied output from the synth is not particularly clean, but it was good enough to get me going.

Andy G4JNT

[...]

Greg - ZL3IX

I also needed a signal source to get going on 10 GHz. My solution was to use a tripler after an ADF 4350 synth module. The tripler I chose was the RMK-3-153 from MCL. It works very well over quite a wide band and gives around -10dBm out for + 11 dBm in, and 2Fin and 4Fin are both respectably low. I used one of the ERA series amps with suitable input attenuation to raise the level of the synth up to +11 dBm. I used a printed HPF at the output to attenuate the drive signal.

The multiplied output from the synth is not particularly clean, but it was good enough to get me going.

Dave