GB3GCT o 10368.935MHz

John Fell

Aggressive drizzle here at moment .
Once again it shows that it only takes minimal moisture to bring GB3GCT from normal below noise floor to a respectable level .My 60cm dish is also elevated to 4 degrees to maximise the signal shown.

73
John
G0API
IO80XS77JR

Dave G1EHF

Thanks for the report John. Looking at the beacon site I'm not too surprised by your observations. The location is a local high spot but shielded to the North and South by the Berkshire Downs and Hannington/Walbury Hills respectively. I've attached an area coverage plot from Mike G0MJW's Path Profile software, which illustrates the situation nicely. Much better propagation East/West along the Kennet valley. A little rain probably helps the signal over the hills significantly. 73, Dave G1EHF

John Fell

Hi Dave ,
Yes the path to GB3GCT is heavily obstructed in my direction , 37.2 degrees from me at 84km .

I have been surprised at the extent of RS returns from virtually all round the compass - far more frequent , so far  , than I observe from most other "local" beacons .

I have found peaks raising the dish EL by upto 7 degrees .This has taken near noise floor signal components to fully readable , non-RS "loud" levels - probably T cells at this time of year .
At other times raising the EL has had no effect - probably low density , light rain.

It will be interesting to see the effects with the standard "right kind of Rain" during the back end of the year .

Thank you and the Newbury Club for setting up this valuable resource .

73
John
G0API

Neil Smith G4DBN

GCT was a decent RS signal again here in IO93 last night, despite the direct path being totally blocked by trees. I'm taking careful measurements to see which trees I need to fell to open up the direct path.  My chum had a look, sucked his teeth, and muttered "all of them...."

Neil G4DBN

On 22/08/2021 11:32, Dave G1EHF via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the report John. Looking at the beacon site I'm not too surprised by your observations. The location is a local high spot but shielded to the North and South by the Berkshire Downs and Hannington/Walbury Hills respectively. I've attached an area coverage plot from Mike G0MJW's Path Profile software, which illustrates the situation nicely. Much better propagation East/West along the Kennet valley. A little rain probably helps the signal over the hills significantly. 73, Dave G1EHF

Paul G8AQA

As with any plant they need harvesting.

Paul G8AQA