10 GHZ SSPAs

John Lambo

Hello Group,

We still have some 10ghz SSPAs for sale.

We think that there are amteurs who are not qrv from the moon but this is a nice amplifier for tropo.

Sent a mail to Jac if you want more info..

73  John  PA7JB off the EME Moonbounce Group

We have some nice modified 10GHz SSPAs for sale

PWR OUT:  18 - 22Watt
PWR IN: 30 -70mW
DC V: 10.5V
DC A: 9 - 11A
Tuned on: 10368Mhz

The SSPA has a seperate DC board for +10V and -5V with protection
NO heatsink, VERY GOOD COOLING is a must !!!
It is almost Plug & Play

With a 1.8m dish and 18-20W@feed you will have a nice EME station !!

For info email direct to: Jac, PA3DZL    emailaddress = pa3dzl@...

Dutch EME Moonbounce Group

PA0BAT Gerard, PA7JB John and PA3DZL Jac

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Nice units, i have one, not tested yet as i am sailing, but a really nice build

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021, 16:55 John Lambo, <pa7jb@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Robin,
Thank you for the nice words.
Enjoy you sailing trip and take care..

73  John  PA7JB

Op 20-8-2021 om 19:00 schreef Robin Szemeti - G1YFG:

[...]

John Quarmby

Just received one of these amps which looks very nice - looks like a revised 10GHz system will be my winter project this year.

There are still a couple available, please contact Jac PA3DZL at pa3dzl@... if you are interested.

73

John G3XDY
We still have some 10ghz SSPAs for sale.

We think that there are amteurs who are not qrv from the moon but this is a nice amplifier for tropo.

Sent a mail to Jac if you want more info..

73  John  PA7JB off the EME Moonbounce Group

We have some nice modified 10GHz SSPAs for sale

PWR OUT:  18 - 22Watt
PWR IN: 30 -70mW
DC V: 10.5V
DC A: 9 - 11A
Tuned on: 10368Mhz

The SSPA has a seperate DC board for +10V and -5V with protection
NO heatsink, VERY GOOD COOLING is a must !!!
It is almost Plug & Play

With a 1.8m dish and 18-20W@feed you will have a nice EME station !!

For info email direct to: Jac, PA3DZL    emailaddress = pa3dzl@...

Dutch EME Moonbounce Group

PA0BAT Gerard, PA7JB John and PA3DZL Jac

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63844) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [g3xdy@...]

_._, _._,_

John Lambo

Hello John.
Good to see that you have the SSPA and that you are happy with it
Yes there are some left and we hope to make other amateurs also happy.

Op 28-8-2021 om 15:40 schreef John Quarmby via groups.io:

[...]

John G3UUT

These amps look interesting.  Being a new starter with 10 GHz could you just clarify one or two things for me.  Firstly are these linear enough for SSB or only suitable for CW and digimode eme (not actually sure what modes are used on 10 GHz eme)?  How close to 10.5 and -5.0 V must the supplies be - I assume 12 V isn't possible?

Thanks and 73  John G3UUT

On 28/08/2021 20:11, John Lambo wrote:
[...]

Yes, clean enough for SSB, the 10GHz band is not exactly crowded, and you have to be pointing in the right direction, if you do push the amp and it spreads a little, its not a problem in most circumstances.

Within + 0.1 V, -0.5V  on the 10.5V I would say, 12V will kill it fairly quickly.  the -5V needs to be stable. and again within +- 0.1V typically.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 00:18, John G3UUT <g3uut@...> wrote:
[...]

Just speculating, but I'd have assumed they have active biassing, so the actual -5V level oughtn't to be quite so critical?
High current 10.5V is a pain - difficult from the ubiquitous 12V /P battery supply without a switcher.
Can be done, but not with an off-the-shelf regulator any more - I think.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 10:21, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:

Within + 0.1 V, -0.5V  on the 10.5V I would say, 12V will kill it fairly quickly.  the -5V needs to be stable. and again within +- 0.1V typically.

Rien Eradus PA0JME

Just a remark, the negative voltage shall be applied first and removed last

Best regards Rien PA0JME

Op 31-8-2021 om 11:31 schreef Andy G4JNT:

Just speculating, but I'd have assumed they have active biassing, so the actual -5V level oughtn't to be quite so critical?
High current 10.5V is a pain - difficult from the ubiquitous 12V /P battery supply without a switcher.
Can be done, but not with an off-the-shelf regulator any more - I think.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 10:21, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:

Within + 0.1 V, -0.5V  on the 10.5V I would say, 12V will kill it fairly quickly.  the -5V needs to be stable. and again within +- 0.1V typically.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Mine should be arriving soon. I'll be using the usual interlocked supply arrangement that kills the 10.5V very rapidly if the bias is not there. Hopefully I'll be able to find a pin on the device to monitor the bias supply so I don't have to trust the wires. I also have an overcurrent trip and over-voltage crowbar to help protect the unobtanium PA devices from my hamfisted fumblings. The GaN PAs I'm messing with have similar requirements, as does the 6cm GaAsFET PA I cobbled together from a carved-up DB6NT PCB, converted to use a MIC29712 7.5A LDO with enable pin https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/268/micrel_mic29710-1180969.pdf as it only needs 5.5 A at 10 V.

They do supply an interlock PCB with the amps, with a -5V generator, however, it senses the -5V locally, not on the PA itself, so you are "trusting the wires", I shall be modifying mine to sense the -5V on the amp itself.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 11:13, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Mine should be arriving soon. I'll be using the usual interlocked supply
arrangement that kills the 10.5V very rapidly if the bias is not there.
Hopefully I'll be able to find a pin on the device to monitor the bias
supply so I don't have to trust the wires. I also have an overcurrent
trip and over-voltage crowbar to help protect the unobtanium PA devices
from my hamfisted fumblings. The GaN PAs I'm messing with have similar
requirements, as does the 6cm GaAsFET PA I cobbled together from a
carved-up DB6NT PCB, converted to use a MIC29712 7.5A LDO with enable
pin https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/268/micrel_mic29710-1180969.pdf
as it only needs 5.5 A at 10 V.

I am however on my boat in the Scillies at the moment, so it may be "a while" before I get back to dry land to play with this ... the wind is not good for heading back to Great Britain just yet.   I have not been completely idle however, I did manage to purchase a couole of noise figure meters in the Ramco auction (an HP and an Eaton) ... hopefully one of them works.

If anyone is bored, I can come on 1942khz in an evening ...

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 11:22, Robin Szemeti <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

Ramco duds are always useful as boat anchors...

On 31/08/2021 11:26, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
I am however on my boat in the Scillies at the moment, so it may be "a while" before I get back to dry land to play with this ... the wind is not good for heading back to Great Britain just yet.   I have not been completely idle however, I did manage to purchase a couole of noise figure meters in the Ramco auction (an HP and an Eaton) ... hopefully one of them works.

Paul Randall G3NJV

Where are you Robyn,  i am just about 15m out heading into newgrimsbysound. Very wise not to attempt the other direction.  🤮

[...]

My SSPA just arrived safely. I have a pile of other Stuff To Do, so it will be a week or two before I can test it in anger.

Neil G4DBN

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Neil
I sent you a email about if you had any boards left for the 23 GHz kit as I have destroyed one of mine by putting the header connector on the wrong side
I have also just ordered a SSPA board and some nice 26.5 GHz relays from them should turn up sometime this week
73
Denis

On 31 Aug 2021, at 14:27, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

My SSPA just arrived safely. I have a pile of other Stuff To Do, so it will be a week or two before I can test it in anger.

Hey paul, we were in new grimsby sound this morning, took a tour down to Bishop Rock via the west coast,  then up yhe east coast to Smith Sound and now anchored in St Agnes harbour ... were going to be around until Monday if you fancy a pint ...look out for Encyte ...

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, 14:13 Paul Randall G3NJV, <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
[...]

Yep will do.  Lotus anchored just off tresco harbour, we are doing Tresco, St Martin and Bryher this trip. Enjoy St Agnes, its a favourite of mine but sadly too rolly this week, a friend abandoned it yesterday.  Looking for a wx window to return to Lizard @ weekend. The easterly gave us a fast passage here but would be gruesome to return through.

[...]

St Agnes was very, very calm in the harbour, slept like a baby, were in StMary now at anchor, will move around during the next few days, thinking Wednesday for a run to Milford Haven from Tresco. Visit the Abbey Gardens if you are on Tresco, most excellent.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021, 18:51 Paul Randall G3NJV, <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
[...]

Scott CHARLES

Hello John.

I was wondering if by any chance a 10Ghz SSPA amplifier is available?

OR do you know if someone want to sell their amp?

Thank you for your time John.

Scott CHARLES, VE7FYC