10GHz and 2.4GHz microwave test beacons

Peter LB0K

Does someone have a suggestion for some sort of testing beacon I can knock up, or acquire, or even build, for checking out the 10GHz and 2.4GHz station(s) I'm putting together.

These would preferably be something simple (as can be) and battery operated. And would mainly be intended for use as confidence checkers.  I don't expect to have stations leaping out of my loudspeakers all of the time, so at least I could listen to the signals out of these units and be comforted.

Peter - LB0K

This might fit the bill

Dave
VE7HR

On Jun 27, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Peter LB0K <lb0k@...> wrote:

Does someone have a suggestion for some sort of testing beacon I can knock up, or acquire, or even build, for checking out the 10GHz and 2.4GHz station(s) I'm putting together.

These would preferably be something simple (as can be) and battery operated. And would mainly be intended for use as confidence checkers.  I don't expect to have stations leaping out of my loudspeakers all of the time, so at least I could listen to the signals out of these units and be comforted.

Peter - LB0K

Noel G8GTZ

For 2.4GHz an ebay ADF4351 PCB will give a pretty loud 2.4GHz source (0dBm) and can be multiplied up to 10GHz and beyond.

 Take a look at ideas on this page on the much underused Microwave Wiki.....

https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Microwave_signal_source

73
Noel - G8GTZ

militaryoperator

I was thinking of one of these

https://vhfdesign.com/data/images/plls/LO-PLL-USB-MAX2871-X1002-PCB.jpg

it can have 4 spot frequencies set and using little dip switches easily switched.

Ben

Michael Scott

Hi Peter

I used to use a 1N23 type diode in a piece of WG16 waveguide and drive a few milliamps of current through it from a 144MHz transmitter ( 144 x 72 = 10368 ).

The Chipbank has a few of these diodes if you want to try it!

73, Mike, G3LYP

On 27/06/2021 20:27, Peter LB0K wrote:

Does someone have a suggestion for some sort of testing beacon I can knock up, or acquire, or even build, for checking out the 10GHz and 2.4GHz station(s) I'm putting together.

These would preferably be something simple (as can be) and battery operated. And would mainly be intended for use as confidence checkers.  I don't expect to have stations leaping out of my loudspeakers all of the time, so at least I could listen to the signals out of these units and be comforted.

Peter - LB0K

Brian Flynn GM8BJF

Hi Peter

I have found a useful and cheap/simple way to generate a weak signal for the microwave bands is to drive a suitable diode in a WG mount with the output from a TCXO. Suitable diodes are the old cartridge radar mixer types.  It also helps to buffer the output of the TCXO with a TTL or CMOS gate or two. The addition of a small horn helps for antenna testing. Suitable TCXOs are available surplus. I use a 12.8 MHz one recovered from an old analogue cellphone. I find that they are useful over a 50 to 100 m range.on 10 GHz. The whole setup can be easily powered form a battery so is very portable..

73s
Brian GM8BJF

Adrian G4UVZ

I have a couple of the VHF designs 4 freq synths on order ..Had an email a couple of weeks ago to say that they were ready ...have paid for them ..but nothing has arrived as yet..Will give it a couple more weeks then raise a Paypal case if necessary

Steve G4HTZ

Hi Adrian
I have had several pre amps etc from vhf design ….have you had tracking information from them ….they normally e Mail it to you …it can take 4 weeks to clear Russian customs…yes I know they are Ukraine …but that’s how it comes ….once it arrives in uk  normally arrives within a few days …never been charged a fee as yet .
e Mail normally gets a quick response from them from experience.
--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

militaryoperator

Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] 10GHz and 2.4GHz microwave test beacons

I have a couple of the VHF designs 4 freq synths on order ..Had an email a couple of weeks ago to say that they were ready ...have paid for them ..but nothing has arrived as yet..Will give it a couple more weeks then raise a Paypal case if necessary

Well its funny. When I looked they were out of stock and there was "let me know when in" button, I clicked and a few days later I got an email saying it was in stock, and i could save 20E but signing up at the pay thing, I did but there was nowhere to put in the code he gave me, etc etc

Next time I looked they were out of stock again.

Very odd way of working.

Ben

Peter LB0K

Hi Dave
Thanks for the suggestion, it 's a very comprehensive unit, and one that I hadn't seen before now.
With one of these I can pack away three other boxes.

Peter

Adrian G4UVZ

Well emailed them again ..and apparently they have a 1-3 week 'processing time' from the time they say they are in stock and you paying for your order.

Guess that things work a bit differently in USSR!

Andy G4JNT

A bit of learning of how to programme Arduino / Pics, and you could roll your own with a nice ADF4351 from SV6AFN module.
Or just get one of the cheapo Chinese ADF4351 sig gens with touchscreen or whatever integrated controller.   Stick any old Schottky diode across the output and you'll get more than enough signal for a test beacon at 10GHz.

Andy

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 10:25, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well emailed them again ..and apparently they have a 1-3 week 'processing time' from the time they say they are in stock and you paying for your order.

Guess that things work a bit differently in USSR!

militaryoperator

A bit of learning of how to programme Arduino / Pics, and you could roll your own with a nice ADF4351 from SV6AFN module.
Or just get one of the cheapo Chinese ADF4351 sig gens with touchscreen or whatever integrated controller.   Stick any old Schottky diode across the output and you'll get more than enough signal for a test beacon at 10GHz.

Andy

Yes Andy, its all very very simple for some of us. But for some of us, it ain't

Far easier to buy an item already made. If I wanted to spend my time building stuff well within my capabilities I'd be building valved transmitters for 160Mtrs.

The nice feature on that built unit is that it has 4 preset frequencies and a CW beacon mode with user-set text. Far more usable than a basic  ADF board.

If I hadn't bought built items and plugged them together I would never have been operational on 4 uw bands and would never have received my nice plaque, hi.

Ben G4BXD

Andy G4JNT

Would there be a  market for a board you connect to a basic ADF4351  and set one of, say, 16 pre-programmed frequencies using a DIL switch or links?    It could be made to directly plug onto the header of the SV6AFN modules, but only needs 5 interconnections with the synth including power.

If so, name 16 spot frequencies

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 11:04, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

g4cch_1

I'm definitely interested. Currently using a ZLPLL and switching different frequencies for the LO in my multi band transverter. Would prefer to use a SV1AFN board.

Howard, G4CCH

Michael Scott

Hi Andy

I think it would be very useful!

I haven't worked ouit the actual frequencies yet, but would suggest frequencies just below the beacon section of each band which could be used in-shack or for personal beacons to be radiated. for frequencies above 4.4 GHz, suitable submultiples. The other obvious choices would be LO frequencies for all the bands for both 144 and 432MHz IFs. I guess the limiting factor would be the phase noise and spurii.

I have just completed adapters for the black and green chinese ADF4351 development boards which plug into the headers and carry an Arduino nano 5v regulator and the voltage dividing resistors for the three control lines.

73, Mike, G3LYP.

On 30/06/2021 19:39, Andy G4JNT wrote:
[...]

OK, now I'm using PIC devices that use their own programme memory for non-volatile storage rather than a dedicated EE section with 128 or 256 bytes, that opens up the possibility for even more than 16, in fact my existing 4351 boot S/W is capable of 32 frequencies, though I only built it for 16.   Each frequency needs at least 24 bytes of memory if the complete register set is kept for each frequency.

It's a pity the SV1AFN synth boards don't use the same header connections as the Analog Devices evaluation boards, which has been copied by all the Chinese clones.   It means a single direct plug in module design isn't possible

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021 at 09:49, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

As you may have seen my Google engine delivers strange results!  As a matter of interest , I Googled SV6AFN ..but got no results  well no English ones

SV6AFN doesn't seem to be a valid callsign on QRZ.Com either.. I am doubtless making some basic error!

Dave

I think it is SV1AFN
73 Dave G4GLT.

On 2 Jul 2021, at 10:46, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248@...> wrote:

Hi Andy

As you may have seen my Google engine delivers strange results!  As a matter of interest , I Googled SV6AFN ..but got no results  well no English ones

SV6AFN doesn't seem to be a valid callsign on QRZ.Com either.. I am doubtless making some basic error!

Andy G4JNT

Twas a mistook, I meant SV1AFN