My KST Experience today .......................

Adrian G4UVZ

Well I used the KST to You option in the contest with the map and was pleasantly surprised how it worked out ..the map was very useful although there seemed to be stations on the chat which didn't appear on the map ? In any event it was certainly better than my previous experience of KST

There didn't seem to be any option to put out a CQ 10 GHz but I eventually got the idea of how the chat worked.

I thought that I would compare with the previously used KSTME ...however when I clicked on my shortcut on the PC and subsequently Connect I got a message telling me I had entered a wrong password?  Never had this before ..I thought that ME worked with some sort of secret key which I had downloaded and pasted in the same file as ME.

Appreciate that all this isn't directly related to Mwave !  but is very frustrating.  I am a radio amateur who speaks in English   can do a bit of morse but has no idea when it comes to Python, Fortran and Github!

Thanks to all I worked on the contest today

Adrian

Adri

Andy G4JNT

Well you must have your correct KST password stored on the system somewhere to be able to use 2YOU.

It's only KST2ME that requires the secret key which you have to apply for but then it just sits there and lies hidden until it expires and prompts you to request a new one.
You still need your same KST user name and password as well, but they are kept within the KST2ME ini files.   Did youi mix up passwords when trying to access 2ME ?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 14:42, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Thanks for the feedback, I do have some updates to publish, but I have been too busy with work to have much time for radio recently, and I am taking the opportunity to catch up on income lost during the pandemic.

I do need to fix the chat windows so that closing a chat window and re-opening it does not invert the chat history!

One feature that is not obvious: double clicking a spot on the map allows you to set your current location.

Any other suggestions gratefully received, although, I suspect it will be a while before I can implement them at the current workload.

[...]

Thanks Andy

I have no idea what my ME password was ..for a couple of years ...all I have done to get in was to click on a desktop link and then connect ...until last month when the secret key ran out .. I rather assumed that the key was my way in didn't know it needed a password as well!

Yesterday as you know I set up the 2you varient and the new password for that seems to have broken the ME version

Did you generate a new password for KST perhaps?
Could you have changed your KST password?
Could there now be two versions of '4UVZ registered?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 16:20, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Andy

I have no idea what my ME password was ..for a couple of years ...all I have done to get in was to click on a desktop link and then connect ...until last month when the secret key ran out .. I rather assumed that the key was my way in didn't know it needed a password as well!

Yesterday as you know I set up the 2you varient and the new password for that seems to have broken the ME version

I find the whole "expiring key" thing on KST2ME quite bizarre and unnecessary.  The software sends its version and name as it signs in, so if the author wished to track who was using it, then he could just ask for stats from the server if he wanted them.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 16:23, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
Did you generate a new password for KST perhaps?
Could you have changed your KST password?
Could there now be two versions of '4UVZ registered?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 16:20, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Andy

I have no idea what my ME password was ..for a couple of years ...all I have done to get in was to click on a desktop link and then connect ...until last month when the secret key ran out .. I rather assumed that the key was my way in didn't know it needed a password as well!

Yesterday as you know I set up the 2you varient and the new password for that seems to have broken the ME version

Colin G4EML

I gave up and came home today because when I started up KST2ME it said my key had expired!  I wasn’t having a good day anyway so that just finished it for me.

Colin G4EML

[...]

Well I thought I was getting somewhere with ME...I found the INI file and edited the password to match the 'new password' I set up for KST2you yesterday ...still when I connect to ME ..it says incorrect password !  at least 2you still works!  Can someone explain how all these programs fit together ?

Currently I can log into ON4KST and select microwave chat and use same password as KST2you  and it works..although there seems no where to log out ..so I may be in there for life!

KSTME however doesn't want to play ...tempted to try and un install ME ..but then I will be into the secret key issue  again!  which as we have seen today causes all sorts of issues !

Andy G4JNT

Right - How KST works 101

ON4KST is the central site.  You log onto that and set up your user name and password once only.
You can if you wish then use the ON4KST chat facility. But as we know, it gets crowded and is a bit messy to use, and you have to correctly format and type messages to ensure they get routed and sound alerts etc.

But, overall 'KST is still just a message routing service.   Once you are logged onto it you just send and receive (TCP)  messages, but you need a means to actually get these messages into and out of the ether

SO several people have written more friendly overlays that automatically format messages and separate and process them in a more useful way.   But they still use the same blob of ether that ON4KST uses, so you always need to use the same username/password you set up for ON4KST in the first place.

All these overlay packages need you to enter your name and password so they can log onto the ON4KST network.  These two parameters are saved and may be recalled automatically when the overlay-software is run.  Or they may not, and request their entry each time.   But they must be what you registered with ON4KST in the first place.

The first overlay package to make an appearance was by Bo, OZ2M with KST2ME.   It is easier to format  messages and filter out those just to you.  BUT he, for some weird and wonderful reason, required you to get a key to allow your use of his software.   This is the KST2ME key that you have to request and get sent and have to copy into the directory and it time-expires and you need another one if you want  operate /P and may well be tied into password etc. so you mustn't change your login etc etc.  WHY WHY WHY?

Robin wrote KST2YOU after we made muttering noises last year - and that is the one mentioned here.

But in all cases, you need to enter, or keep stored, the username and password that ON4KST has for you.

As it's so easy to use the TCP messaging - just a few lines of code (*) in a language that has networking facilities built in - no doubt other people have also written their own interfaces.   But not necessarily made them public.   But you'd never know that - you just see what your own software package displays for any message that it gets .

(*) For programming people, these are the lines of code needed to log into ON4KST using the PowerBasic programming language.

    TCP OPEN PORT 23000 AT "www.on4kst.info" AS #1
    SLEEP (200)             '200ms delay to allow time for response
    TCP PRINT #1, Username$
    SLEEP (200)
    TCP PRINT #1, Password$
    SLEEP (200)
    TCP PRINT #1, "3"       '3 = Microwave Chat

The SLEEP commands are just a simple cop-out to allow a bit of time for it to send its ack of each line sent;   can't be bothered checking as it's only the final logon success that matters in the end.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 17:10, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well I thought I was getting somewhere with ME...I found the INI file and edited the password to match the 'new password' I set up for KST2you yesterday ...still when I connect to ME ..it says incorrect password !  at least 2you still works!  Can someone explain how all these programs fit together ?

Currently I can log into ON4KST and select microwave chat and use same password as KST2you  and it works..although there seems no where to log out ..so I may be in there for life!

KSTME however doesn't want to play ...tempted to try and un install ME ..but then I will be into the secret key issue  again!  which as we have seen today causes all sorts of issues !

Adrian G4UVZ

Thanks Andy ..that was all very succinct!   I now understand how it all works..or not in my case of the ME variant from OZ  !
As the only advantage I can see with the OZ is the option to call CQ ..I guess that I will have to stick to 2You option with the excellent mapping feature.

Adrian

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Colin,

Next time, try my software,  nothing to install, runs in any browser (even on a tablet or phone)  and no keys needed, just uses your existing callsign and password.:

It could have saved your day!

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 16:58, Colin G4EML <colin@...> wrote:

[...]

John Lemay

Or just revert for the day to plain vanilla ‘KST ?

John G4ZTR

[...]

I'll add a CQ option, I forgot that!

I was thinking something like this, a pop-up with a box you can type a message in ... or select from a list of messages you have sent before.  Store perhaps the last .. 10?

image.png

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 19:38, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Andy ..that was all very succinct!   I now understand how it all works..or not in my case of the ME variant from OZ  !
As the only advantage I can see with the OZ is the option to call CQ ..I guess that I will have to stick to 2You option with the excellent mapping feature.

Adrian

Noel G8GTZ

Hi Robin,

I do use your software and as far as I am concerned it is by far the best KST user interface - clean, modern, easy to understand, scalable to whatever size you want and works on a mobile phone!!

Appreciate it is very much a sideline for you and paid work takes priority but a couple of comments on the operation of the chat box.  When you click on a callsign to open the chat dialogue, can the cursor be placed in the chat window - you currently have to click again in the chat box.  Then when the message is sent, be good if the chat window was automatically closed.

Thanks again.
Noel - G8GTZ

Martyn G3UKV

GM folk
Yes - vanilla 'KST is fine. It only falls short if one of our events coincides with a major EU event, and then things do get a bit hectic as calls/comments scroll away off the screen.
I also frequently use the ON4KST 'chat review' menu option to see whether G9XYZ is active or possibly 'busy' - that can save unnecessary typing.
73 Martyn G3UKV
P.S. And yes - activity yesterday was well down on that in May.

On 28/06/2021 08:10, John Lemay wrote:

Or just revert for the day to plain vanilla ‘KST ?

John G4ZTR

I find the whole "expiring key" thing on KST2ME quite bizarre and unnecessary.  The software sends its version and name as it signs in, so if the author wished to track who was using it, then he could just ask for stats from the server if he wanted them.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 16:23, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Did you generate a new password for KST perhaps?

Could you have changed your KST password?

Could there now be two versions of '4UVZ registered?

Andy

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 at 16:20, Adrian G4UVZ via groups.io <adrianwhatmore248=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks Andy

I have no idea what my ME password was ..for a couple of years ...all I have done to get in was to click on a desktop link and then connect ...until last month when the secret key ran out .. I rather assumed that the key was my way in didn't know it needed a password as well!

Yesterday as you know I set up the 2you varient and the new password for that seems to have broken the ME version

Hi Noel,

On a really busy day, one of the problems with KST is if you are trying to chat with another user, the messages are all scrolling past ... the idea of the chat window was to ignore all that other stuff and let you just have a conversation with one user, uninterrupted by the other noise ...  I'll look at adding an "auto close chat after send" option for those that prefer to revert back to the main window.

It is slightly complicated as the chat window can be opened from either the map (click on a user, click chat), from the user list (click any callsign) or from the message log (click callsign) ... I'm not sure auto-closing makes sense in the user-list or map contexts.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 at 09:16, Noel G8GTZ <noel@...> wrote:
Hi Robin,

I do use your software and as far as I am concerned it is by far the best KST user interface - clean, modern, easy to understand, scalable to whatever size you want and works on a mobile phone!!

Appreciate it is very much a sideline for you and paid work takes priority but a couple of comments on the operation of the chat box.  When you click on a callsign to open the chat dialogue, can the cursor be placed in the chat window - you currently have to click again in the chat box.  Then when the message is sent, be good if the chat window was automatically closed.

Thanks again.
Noel - G8GTZ

Right, CQ pop-up thing done while I had my morning toast ... I fear that eats up my spare time for today, back to work!

On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 at 09:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

militaryoperator

On a really busy day, one of the problems with KST is if you are trying to chat with another user, the messages are all scrolling past

I just looked, I have/use KST2me and I have two windows, the general top one, with everyone's messages and the bottom one which is just my messages to whoever I am talking to.

The only option I'd like, unless it's already there and I don't know about it, is to limit the range of messages I see in the top window. I don't need to see all of Europe, the chances of me working even across the North Sea are remote.

Still, it's all very helpful I guess in making contacts.

Failed with a few on Sunday, odd as the Leic beacon was very strong with me but CLA weaker than usual. Odd old frequencies.

Ben G4BXD

Dave

Tried the kst2you link and it looks great. The only query is why the reciprocal bearings on such sites are never + or - 180degrees exactly as per the theory. The magnetic variation here is only 30 minutes so wouldn’t account for the differences , though of course other stations mag variation may be a lot larger I suppose.
73 Dave G4GLT.

On 28 Jun 2021, at 09:51, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:

[...]

A good question ...  I convert Maidenhead to lat/long ... and then do a lat/long  bearing calculation,  AFAIK it should produce (+- rounding error of 1) a 180 reciprocal.  I suppose I should feed it some test data ...

function bearing(startLat, startLng, destLat, destLng){
  startLat = toRadians(startLat);
  startLng = toRadians(startLng);
  destLat = toRadians(destLat);
  destLng = toRadians(destLng);

  y = Math.sin(destLng - startLng) * Math.cos(destLat);
  x = Math.cos(startLat) * Math.sin(destLat) -
        Math.sin(startLat) * Math.cos(destLat) * Math.cos(destLng - startLng);
  brng = Math.atan2(y, x);
  brng = toDegrees(brng);
  return (brng + 360) % 360;
}