CGHV59070F 6cm HEMT arrived

Neil Smith G4DBN

I said something like "for my personal use only, for amateur radio experimentation". Usually I get the form almost immediately, but this time it took almost three weeks after answering the initial statement. The declaration form was the same as the one for the big 10 GHz GaN MMICs.

Neil G4DBN

On 11/06/2021 23:02, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Warning, when filling in end user forms like that, don't say 'educational'.  That get's them worried; as to who is being educated?
When  I was picked up on this (by a phone call from someone at MiniCircuits), I was told to change it to amateur radio and it would go through straightaway with no hassle.  It did.
I wonder how colleges manage.

Andy G4JNT

Warning, when filling in end user forms like that, don't say 'educational'.  That get's them worried; as to who is being educated?
When  I was picked up on this (by a phone call from someone at MiniCircuits), I was told to change it to amateur radio and it would go through straightaway with no hassle.  It did.
I wonder how colleges manage.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 at 22:45, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Much cheaper than the 10 GHz 42 watt MMICs!

£253 each including VAT. Yes, just had to explain the end use and
promise not to send them overseas.

Neil

On 11/06/2021 20:16, Dave G6HEF wrote:

> Go on, how much did they cost and what were the EAR regulations? Is
> that to do with promising not to use them for military and that sort
> of thing?

Neil Smith G4DBN

Much cheaper than the 10 GHz 42 watt MMICs!

£253 each including VAT. Yes, just had to explain the end use and promise not to send them overseas.

Neil

On 11/06/2021 20:16, Dave G6HEF wrote:

Go on, how much did they cost and what were the EAR regulations? Is that to do with promising not to use them for military and that sort of thing?

Dave G6HEF

That looks sexy! Microwave porn!

Go on, how much did they cost and what were the EAR regulations? Is that to do with promising not to use them for military and that sort of thing?

Dave
G6HEF

Chris G0WUS

Nice one Neil will be watching this one with interest would make eme on the band a fair bit easier

73

Chris G0WUS

On 11/06/2021 13:03, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

It took three weeks and two lots of form-filling to get approval under the US EAR regulations, but the 70 watt 6cm HEMT has just arrived.  Good to know that the devices are available to be purchased, at least by UK-based amateurs. Typical output at 50 volts is around 87 watts (on a good day, with a following wind and an overdose of optimism).

A pair of them would be Mighty Loud* on 5.7 GHz.

Sadly, because of everything going on here in Real Life, this project will have to go on hold for a while.

Neil G4DBN

*Technical term for "roughly 160 watts"

Neil Smith G4DBN