GRP tube

Colin Ranson

Hi all,

Before I waste my time, and theirs, by phoning Engineered Composites (Radcom ad) for a price – does anyone know the rough price of 38mm GRP tube, 3mm wall thickness – comes in 6m lengths – and the carriage.  Don’t seem to find this info on their site.   I think it will be wholly expensive.

Regards, and thanks

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

For interest's sake , t5here are two types of common hite water pipe , one is just pvc and very flexible ,

the other uses ceramic beads , and pvc? ........ but has a stiffer form .

If you could find the manufactures , they may make something to suit your application ?

On 24 March 2021 at 22:49 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Before I waste my time, and theirs, by phoning Engineered Composites (Radcom ad) for a price – does anyone know the rough price of 38mm GRP tube, 3mm wall thickness – comes in 6m lengths – and the carriage.  Don’t seem to find this info on their site.   I think it will be wholly expensive.

Regards, and thanks

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Colin Ranson

Hi Gordon,

Neither of those you mentioned would be strong enough.   Just as an aside they now make Glass Fibre scaffold tube.... its as strong as the steel one apparently.

I only need a four foot length but if it was cheap enough I’d get a 6m length and sell the rest on e-bay.... I fear it’s well pricey though.

I have a two foot length here that was left over from making the GB3IH collinears 30 years ago, it was like hens teeth then.

Regards and thanks for reply

[...]

Ok Colin ,

Well if you have some .......... there must be more out there , somewhere .............

Perhaps an email to a scaffold pipe manufacturer might get a result ..............

Never give up .

On 24 March 2021 at 23:23 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

[...]

www.hongbangcomposites.com/

Bbbbbbbest I can find on a quick search .............

I have messaged a pipe company in the west midlands  too .....................

On 24 March 2021 at 23:30 "Gordon REASON via groups.io" <gordonj.reason@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Tompsett

Just give them a call...

FYI from memory.

In 2019 a number of local amateurs purchased 6m 48.5mm diameter  6.65mm thich GRP Scaffold poles - at approx £80 each, Delivery was a fixed cost for the order approx £25

The tube you want is a lot lighter...

--
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940

Paul G8AQA

Later in the year I will be needing some GRP tube for a 4 Yagi 2m eme array in due course. Not sure of the lengths yet but I may be able to help with a purchase if  necessary. If it is delivered here I could cut off a length and send it on.

Paul G8AQA

On 24/03/2021 23:45, Gordon REASON via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Stuart M1GSM

Edited

They have off cuts, I think I got a 3m 2" (scaf) & 1 1/2" and some other bits for £25
The postage is expensive £28

Unless you get it delivered to a business address £18, they don't know why this is ether :)
i was working near one day so popped in.

They basically make direct copies of industrial stairs and walkways but all in GRP
So spark free, so plenty bits for all those scaff railings too.

I spoke to

Mel Perkins
Engineered Composites Ltd
Unit B4
Borders 2 Industrial Park
River Lane Saltney
Chester
CH4 8RJ
Tel: 01244 676000
DDI: 01244 980333
Fax: 01244 677267
e-mail: melanie@...

John Lemay

Colin

Another supplier is All Propped Up. Looks like a quite extensive range and shipping is £20.

Shipping anything over a couple of metres long is going to be expensive because that’s what the carriers charge, and only a few will carry long parcels – such as Tuffnells and DHL.

John G4ZTR

[...]

and old boat mast's .... boat chandlers may help ?

On 25 March 2021 at 08:03 Stephen Tompsett <stephen@...> wrote:

[...]

g4zod@btinternet.com

Be careful of some lightweight masts.
My brother gave me   wind surfing  masts to donate to club members. The trouble was that some were made from fibre glass and as they age can shed fibres. ( This problem can be solved by slapping a coat of paint over the pole.)
These poles are now  doing sterling duty  at member' s  QTHs
G4ZOD

Sent from BlueMail

On 25 Mar 2021, at 11:43, "Gordon REASON via groups.io" <virgin.net@groups.io target=_blank>gordonj.reason=virgin.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Stuart,