Octagon OSLG Green LNB

R Hopkins

I've just bought an LNB marked:-

Single Octagon OSLG Green LNB

It was sold as having:-

PLL Technology 25MHz Crystal.

I'm having my doubts whether this is a PLL LNB because it wanders far more than others that I've
bought. I don't want to dismantle it at the moment. The advert was pretty specific about the 25MHz
Xtal.

So does anybody had experience of this particular LNB?

If it is a PLL LNB has anybody modified one for an external clock?

I've modified a number of LNBs over the years so that's not a problem. Just looking for a bit of
input from those who may know.

Roger GW4NOS

John Fell

They do say it's 25MHz and PLL in the ads -maybe this one has a wobbly Xtal ?
Usual injection to one side of Xtal via a C should work .

73
John
G0API

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 at 16:07, R Hopkins via groups.io <gw4nos=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've just bought an LNB marked:-

Single Octagon OSLG Green LNB

It was sold as having:-

PLL Technology 25MHz Crystal.

I'm having my doubts whether this is a PLL LNB because it wanders far more than others that I've
bought. I don't want to dismantle it at the moment. The advert was pretty specific about the 25MHz
Xtal.

So does anybody had experience of this particular LNB?

If it is a PLL LNB has anybody modified one for an external clock?

I've modified a number of LNBs over the years so that's not a problem. Just looking for a bit of
input from those who may know.

Roger    GW4NOS

on4cjq@...

Hello Roger

Look at the Twitter page from PE1CMO, scroll dwn to 28 march 2019 and there you can see his mod for that lnb.

Best 73's

Jerry,ON4CJQ

I'm having my doubts whether this is a PLL LNB because it wanders far more than others that I've
bought. I don't want to dismantle it at the moment. The advert was pretty specific about the 25MHz
Xtal.

So does anybody had experience of this particular LNB?

If it is a PLL LNB has anybody modified one for an external clock?

I've modified a number of LNBs over the years so that's not a problem. Just looking for a bit of
input from those who may know.

Roger GW4NOS

R Hopkins

Ok John
Thanks for that.
I've been caught a couple of times with LNBs advertised as "High Stability PLL Type" and weren't so
that's why I was a bit suspicious.

The only problem is that it is single output and I haven't decided how to get the 25 MHz into the
thing.

On a different subject, I've replaced the horn antenna on my personal beacon with a slotted
waveguide antenna. It's on 10368.45MHz PI4. I would be interested if anyone hears it. Some suitable
RS on the horizon.

And thanks Jerry. I don't subscribe to twitter. I don't know if I can access the page but most of my
family are twitter users.

Roger GW4NOS

On Mon, 08 Mar 2021 16:07:30 +0000, you wrote:

I've just bought an LNB marked:-

Single Octagon OSLG Green LNB

It was sold as having:-

PLL Technology 25MHz Crystal.

I'm having my doubts whether this is a PLL LNB because it wanders far more than others that I've
bought. I don't want to dismantle it at the moment. The advert was pretty specific about the 25MHz
Xtal.

So does anybody had experience of this particular LNB?

If it is a PLL LNB has anybody modified one for an external clock?

I've modified a number of LNBs over the years so that's not a problem. Just looking for a bit of
input from those who may know.

Roger GW4NOS

on4cjq@...

Hello Roger,

you can see it without subscription!

73's

Jerry

[...]

I just found it. Thanks

Roger GW4NOS

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 21:29:50 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

[...]

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Roger, we have that "wrong sort of rain" up here at the moment, soaking up all of the RF.  I can't hear OSW, KBQ or PKT this evening and nil from EU, but I'll keep an ear out for your beacon.

Neil G4DBN

Twitter @g4dbn

On 08/03/2021 20:17, R Hopkins via groups.io wrote:
On a different subject, I've replaced the horn antenna on my personal beacon with a slotted
waveguide antenna. It's on 10368.45MHz PI4. I would be interested if anyone hears it. Some suitable
RS on the horizon.

R Hopkins

I appreciate that Neil.

It's not on at the moment. I'll probably put it on tomorrow evening and leave it on for several days
or at least while there is a chance of the right sort of rain. It's only 27dBm into homemade slotted
waveguide antenna. Gain is around 10dB according to OZ2OE.

Roger GW4NOS

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 20:51:15 +0000, you wrote:

Hi Roger, we have that "wrong sort of rain" up here at the moment,
soaking up all of the RF.  I can't hear OSW, KBQ or PKT this evening and
nil from EU, but I'll keep an ear out for your beacon.

Neil G4DBN

Twitter @g4dbn

On 08/03/2021 20:17, R Hopkins via groups.io wrote:
On a different subject, I've replaced the horn antenna on my personal beacon with a slotted
waveguide antenna. It's on 10368.45MHz PI4. I would be interested if anyone hears it. Some suitable
RS on the horizon.

Colin Ranson

I modded a dual output one of these for external injection. Before that I tested it as standard. It was 60KHz or so off frequency for starters and would suddenly jump 5KHz up or down then jump back. Perfectly ok after injecting with 25MHz from a Chinese ‘Gold’ TCXO. This was 12Hz out resulting in nearly 5KHz out at downlink frequency.   I don’t think I could ask for better.

De G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Hi Colin

This LNB is around 180kHz high at the moment. I can't see any problem modifying it. It's easy with a
dual LNB because you can commandeer the other socket for the 25MHz input. I am thinking of putting
the DC and 25MHz in and the signal out all through one socket. If there is enough room to do it is
the next thing.

Roger GW4NOS