'MCB

Chris Bartram G4DGU

Armed with Dave's measurement of frequency, I had another look for MCB, this time using a reputedly 20dBi patch array antenna. It is there, but just too weak to copy the FSK aurally. As an estimate, the level here is of the order of 25dB below that I which was seeing when I last looked - but that was about 18months ago.

I almost agree with the frequency Dave quotes. Also using a GPS referenced system, I made the frequency (at about 14.00) 10368.896832MHz. As the beacon isn't frequency locked that's pretty close ...

73

Chris G4DGU

Neil Smith G4DBN

Thanks Dave and Chris, what I was seeing is very very close to that frequency, but I was definitely not seeing any FSK, so that nails the factr that I was seeing something that is probably an artefact from a strong out of band signal in the same direction. I can't see ANYTHING that is in that direction though, so perhaps it is something on a sidelobe, but I can't find it now.  Has to be on an X band or higher frequency as the signal traverses 80cm of WR90.  There is nothing at all in terms of human habitation or anothing other than fields for almost 15 miles, and then it is only a couple of villages.  There is a wind tuirbine exactly on that path, so it is possible that I'm seeing a reflection of a harmonic of something, but it is remarkably stable.

Anyway, definitely NOT GB3MCB. It would be great to see it again, I used to see it coming through quite regularly.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/03/2021 14:46, Chris Bartram G4DGU wrote:
Armed with Dave's measurement of frequency, I had another look for MCB, this time using a reputedly 20dBi patch array antenna. It is there, but just too weak to copy the FSK aurally. As an estimate, the level here is of the order of 25dB below that I which was seeing when I last looked - but that was about 18months ago.

I almost agree with the frequency Dave quotes. Also using a GPS referenced system, I made the frequency (at about 14.00) 10368.896832MHz. As the beacon isn't frequency locked that's pretty close ...

73

John Fell

Maybe the spurious signal is due to a rusty bolt diode multiplier on the Wind machine ....LOL.

I think the Cornish Beacon Group do a good job of keeping beacons across the bands going and they are to be congratulated on providing space for a10GHz beacon .

My understanding is John G8ACE and Brian G4NNS provide the beacon and logistical support - from over 200 miles away .....

If MCB is to be heard it will probably be by RS and looking at forecast could occur quite soon .

Even LEX was below noise earlier today .

Have you had decodes from KBQ Neil ?

73
John
G0API

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 at 14:59, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Thanks Dave and Chris, what I was seeing is very very close to that
frequency, but I was definitely not seeing any FSK, so that nails the
factr that I was seeing something that is probably an artefact from a
strong out of band signal in the same direction. I can't see ANYTHING
that is in that direction though, so perhaps it is something on a
sidelobe, but I can't find it now.  Has to be on an X band or higher
frequency as the signal traverses 80cm of WR90.  There is nothing at all
in terms of human habitation or anothing other than fields for almost 15
miles, and then it is only a couple of villages.  There is a wind
tuirbine exactly on that path, so it is possible that I'm seeing a
reflection of a harmonic of something, but it is remarkably stable.

Anyway, definitely NOT GB3MCB. It would be great to see it again, I used
to see it coming through quite regularly.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/03/2021 14:46, Chris Bartram G4DGU wrote:
> Armed with Dave's measurement of frequency, I had another look for
> MCB, this time using a reputedly 20dBi patch array antenna. It is
> there, but just too weak to copy the FSK aurally. As an estimate, the
> level here is of the order of 25dB below that I which was seeing when
> I last looked - but that was about 18months ago.
>
> I almost agree with the frequency Dave quotes. Also using a GPS
> referenced system, I made the frequency (at about 14.00)
> 10368.896832MHz. As the beacon isn't frequency locked that's pretty
> close ...
>
> 73

Neil Smith G4DBN

KBQ has not been strong enough for a decode.  As usual, it's the old story that I can *see" it perfectly well on a long FFT integration, but JT4G is just too fast for it to have any hope of decoding. Tantalisingly close at times, and some very loud aircraft reflections, but conditions have been so absorptive that I can't even hear PKT, and (horror of horrors) failed to work a certain G4BAO the other day.

Funny to be moaning about not getting decodable signals from low power beacons 340 and 250 km away over obstructed paths on 10 GHz, just shows how far we've come since I first played on 3cm back in the 1970s.

Neil G4DBN