Low Noise Power Supply

Chris Bartram G4DGU

Nothing to do with microwaves, except possibly that it will help me sort-out/rationalise my workroom/shack, and thus help hasten my return to having an operational station.

Does anyone have any (polite!) suggestions regarding a low-noise 12V 20A+ switching PSU?

73

Chris G4DGU

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

Surprisingly, I have two MFJ 4125s and they are quiet electrically.
I have also added a thermistor controlled fan speed controller to them so that they are silent (sonically) when ticking over and proportionately run the fan up with load. As supplied they run the fan all the time on the 12V generated at the output which is annoying (I haven't found any other PSUs that run a fan controller, maybe I should sell them!!!?).

--
73, Paul Evans G4BKI [VP9KF]

Mike Willis

The older (with real meter) version of the Nissai from ML&S is OK. The new one radiates QRM. But I know you like to save money so why not one of the HP ex bitcoinmining supplies? Should be under £20 for 12V 60A. They are not so noisy and can be turned up to 13.8V if you want

--
Mike G0MJW

Colin Ranson

I bought from a SK a Nissei MS-1228 ‘Professional’ SMPSU 12v -max 28A.   Its ok for powering VHF/UHF amplifiers but puts out wandering birdies on HF.  The worst ‘Amateur service’ SMPSU I have ever come across was an ICOM PS-85 that came ‘free’ when I bought my IC-746 in 1998. My main interest was 6m then – when I plugged in the antenna on my new radio I was appalled at the amount of ‘noise’ on the band, my heart sank but I soon found out it was the PSU and invested in a linear supply.    I would not have the temerity to sell it to another amateur.

Best regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The older (with real meter) version of the Nissai from ML&S is OK. The new one radiates QRM. But I know you like to save money so why not one of the HP ex bitcoinmining supplies? Should be under £20 for 12V 60A. They are not so noisy and can be turned up to 13.8V if you want

--
Mike G0MJW

Brian Howie GM4DIJ

In message <9b0cfc04-b30d-faba-2395-3d5cba425a26@chris-bartram.co.uk>, Chris Bartram G4DGU <chris@chris-bartram.co.uk> writes
Nothing to do with microwaves, except possibly that it will help me sort-out/rationalise my workroom/shack, and thus help hasten my return to having an operational station.

Does anyone have any (polite!) suggestions regarding a low-noise 12V 20A+ switching PSU?

73

Chris G4DGU
I bought a used HP ProLiant 750W PSU Power Supply from e-bay last year to use /P , rather than lugging a heavy linear supply. They come in at about £12 and easy to mod for 13.8V or you can leave them at 12V.

Http://www.gm0onx.co.uk/ under low cost SMPU

HP ProLiant DL360 G6 750W Power Supply (HSTNS-PD18 version)

They seem quite enough for what I do.

There's plenty of suppliers.

Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie

Colin Ranson

All, Chris Bartram.

On the subject of noise from a SMPSU – a long time ago I acquired a Farnell 75amp 28volt unit. Its located in my loft at the moment, and is also remotely turned on and off from the shack (long story as to why)   As an experiment last night I connected about 40ft of wire to the + terminal and ran it round the loft.   I could not detect, or see, any increase in noise on any band (IC-7300) 1.8 – 70MHz.

These PSU’s were obviously made to the enormous price they fetched when new. No doubt proper design and filtering.

I also have an Agilent E3648 Lab PSU in the shack, not sure if SM or Linear but full of digital stuff....    no interference from that either.

Chris, as I mentioned earlier, don’t buy a Nissei MS-1228 ‘Professional’ SMPSU..... outputs loads of crap on HF/Lo VHF. And personally I would not buy one of these ‘tweakable’ SMPSU’s to move sprogs away from the station you want to work.  Had one of these at a club station.... awful !

Best regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

>Nothing to do with microwaves, except possibly that it will help me
>sort-out/rationalise my workroom/shack, and thus help hasten my return
>to having an operational station.
>
>Does anyone have any (polite!) suggestions regarding a low-noise 12V
>20A+ switching PSU?
>
>73
>
>Chris G4DGU

I bought a  used HP ProLiant 750W PSU Power Supply   from e-bay last
year to use /P , rather than lugging a heavy linear supply. They come in
at about £12 and easy to mod for 13.8V or you can  leave them at 12V.

Http://www.gm0onx.co.uk/  under low cost SMPU

HP ProLiant DL360 G6 750W Power Supply (HSTNS-PD18 version)

They seem quite enough for what I do.

There's plenty of suppliers.

Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie

Jim Mcilroy

Hi

If it doesn't have to be switched mode have a look around for a Kenwood PS-30 which may occasionally be found seconhand from dealers.

These will do 13.8V at 15A continuous and intermittently up to 20A

I have used one for years. They are electrically quiet, and I have also seen them being used to power commercial VHF repeater systems.

73

Jim  G4EQX