ERA-02 as a multiplier

Greg - ZL3IX

Does anyone have experience of using the ERA-02 as a tripler from around 3.5 GHz to around 10.5 GHz? I know they work in triplers up to 3 GHz, but I was wondering whether they have a respectable performance higher up, or whether one needs to use an MMIC that actually has some gain at 10 GHz.

KENT BRITAIN

According to Zack at the ARRL, they have modest harmonics out to 24 GHz.
Kent  WA5VJB/2E0VAA

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 01:36:57 PM CST, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience of using the ERA-02 as a tripler from around 3.5 GHz to around 10.5 GHz? I know they work in triplers up to 3 GHz, but I was wondering whether they have a respectable performance higher up, or whether one needs to use an MMIC that actually has some gain at 10 GHz.

Andy G4JNT

Yes, I've used then for both X3 and X4 to 10GHz.  They work very well.   Operate at a bit lower than the recommended bias level to increase non-linearity.
IIRC, I got something like 0dB tripler gain at 0dBm.   May have remembered that wrongly tho.
Try it and see - play with the optimum biassing.

And, BTW,   an MSA family modamp was used as a doubler in the Inmarsat-3 satellite, in the frequency generator module.
So if it's good enough for a spacecraft ...

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 19:36, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:

geoffrey pike

But when you get to 10.5 GHz you will probably want to amplify that so perhaps just get a handful of NLB-310 from the outset
(which i use in my multiplier), But perhaps you have a handful of ERA-02s that you want to use up. 
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP
(-2C outside)

On Sunday, 24 January 2021, 19:36:57 GMT, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:

Colin Ranson

Greg,

The Gali-2 is good to 8GHz.......    I ‘rats nested’ one from 1278 – 2556MHz, think I set bias at about 2.2-2.5V with a 723 regulator. Yet to build on a proper PCB.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 January 2021 19:36
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] ERA-02 as a multiplier

Andy G4JNT

Ouch
Still using the 723 regulator?
That thing is so complicated to connect up compared with an LM317.  And, I believe, a lot noisier.   
Isn't it so old that the reference inside it is an actual Zener?  If so, no wonder it's noisy.
I formally learnt about them in 1976 - remember it well.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 22:26, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Greg,

The Gali-2 is good to 8GHz.......    I ‘rats nested’ one from 1278 – 2556MHz, think I set bias at about 2.2-2.5V with a 723 regulator. Yet to build on a proper PCB.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Colin Ranson

Andy, I just happened to have two separate 723’s on a piece of veroboard that came with a W1GHz  simple personal beacon for 10GHz. (bought at a uW MRT many years ago) Each one was used to control the bias on the Multiplier MODAMPS.

Just seemed handy to use !   I will of course use something more appropriate like an LDO1117 adj. Or similar when I lay out the PCB.

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent: 24 January 2021 22:30
To: UK Microwaves groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] ERA-02 as a multiplier

Ouch

Still using the 723 regulator?

That thing is so complicated to connect up compared with an LM317.  And, I believe, a lot noisier.   

Isn't it so old that the reference inside it is an actual Zener?  If so, no wonder it's noisy.

I formally learnt about them in 1976 - remember it well.

Andy

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 22:26, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Greg,

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Greg - ZL3IX

I still use the occasional 723 regulator, especially if I want variable current limit. I also first came across them in 1974, immediately after graduating. I don't think the internal ref can be just a zener; it's too stable for that.

Greg - ZL3IX

Thanks for that Andy - very encouraging, and I'll try it out.

Dominique Dehays

Hi ,

The 723 regulator is an excellent device and  much better than the 317 regarding noise
Dom