ERA-02 as a multiplier

Greg - ZL3IX

Does anyone have experience of using the ERA-02 as a tripler from around 3.5 GHz to around 10.5 GHz? I know they work in triplers up to 3 GHz, but I was wondering whether they have a respectable performance higher up, or whether one needs to use an MMIC that actually has some gain at 10 GHz.

KENT BRITAIN

According to Zack at the ARRL, they have modest harmonics out to 24 GHz.
Kent  WA5VJB/2E0VAA

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 01:36:57 PM CST, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience of using the ERA-02 as a tripler from around 3.5 GHz to around 10.5 GHz? I know they work in triplers up to 3 GHz, but I was wondering whether they have a respectable performance higher up, or whether one needs to use an MMIC that actually has some gain at 10 GHz.

Andy G4JNT

Yes, I've used then for both X3 and X4 to 10GHz.  They work very well.   Operate at a bit lower than the recommended bias level to increase non-linearity.
IIRC, I got something like 0dB tripler gain at 0dBm.   May have remembered that wrongly tho.
Try it and see - play with the optimum biassing.

And, BTW,   an MSA family modamp was used as a doubler in the Inmarsat-3 satellite, in the frequency generator module.
So if it's good enough for a spacecraft ...

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 19:36, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
Does anyone have experience of using the ERA-02 as a tripler from around 3.5 GHz to around 10.5 GHz? I know they work in triplers up to 3 GHz, but I was wondering whether they have a respectable performance higher up, or whether one needs to use an MMIC that actually has some gain at 10 GHz.

geoffrey pike

But when you get to 10.5 GHz you will probably want to amplify that so perhaps just get a handful of NLB-310 from the outset
(which i use in my multiplier), But perhaps you have a handful of ERA-02s that you want to use up.
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP
(-2C outside)

On Sunday, 24 January 2021, 19:36:57 GMT, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:

Does anyone have experience of using the ERA-02 as a tripler from around 3.5 GHz to around 10.5 GHz? I know they work in triplers up to 3 GHz, but I was wondering whether they have a respectable performance higher up, or whether one needs to use an MMIC that actually has some gain at 10 GHz.

Colin Ranson

Greg,

The Gali-2 is good to 8GHz.......    I ‘rats nested’ one from 1278 – 2556MHz, think I set bias at about 2.2-2.5V with a 723 regulator. Yet to build on a proper PCB.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10