Snow Scatter


John Fell
 

A large band of snow cloud heading East from this QTH is producing SS from SEE and PKT .
73
John
G0API


Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 

At the other end of the spectrum, top band is unbelievably good at the moment .. never heard anything like it.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 09:53, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
A large band of snow cloud heading East from this QTH is producing SS from SEE and PKT .
73
John
G0API


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


John Fell
 

Hi Robin,
Blue Sky and Sunshine now - Topband (1.8MHz) is normal level here but on the real "Topbands " at 137kHz and 475kHz it was quite lively overnight .
Plenty of TA  WSPR-2 and FST4W modes .

WSPRSpot site says I decoded 20 spots on 137kHz ( poor by recent times, but it was crunchy at times from lightening out of Snow clouds etc ) and 1038 spots on 475kHz .

Several G stations have had 2 way QSOs with the States and JA on 475kHz

Quite a few uwavers are active on LF/MF .....

73
John
G0API


On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 10:43, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
At the other end of the spectrum, top band is unbelievably good at the moment .. never heard anything like it.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 09:53, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
A large band of snow cloud heading East from this QTH is producing SS from SEE and PKT .
73
John
G0API


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 

I chat with GM3YXM on 160m every morning (another LF regular),  normally he is a couple of dB above the noise, today a good S9 +20 ... another regular in Portsmouth gave hime a similar report, everyone was up at least 20dB, quite remarkable.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 12:51, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
Hi Robin,
Blue Sky and Sunshine now - Topband (1.8MHz) is normal level here but on the real "Topbands " at 137kHz and 475kHz it was quite lively overnight .
Plenty of TA  WSPR-2 and FST4W modes .

WSPRSpot site says I decoded 20 spots on 137kHz ( poor by recent times, but it was crunchy at times from lightening out of Snow clouds etc ) and 1038 spots on 475kHz .

Several G stations have had 2 way QSOs with the States and JA on 475kHz

Quite a few uwavers are active on LF/MF .....

73
John
G0API


On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 10:43, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
At the other end of the spectrum, top band is unbelievably good at the moment .. never heard anything like it.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 09:53, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
A large band of snow cloud heading East from this QTH is producing SS from SEE and PKT .
73
John
G0API


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


John Fell
 

No decodes from Dave last night but a few GMs on 475kHz WSPering at upto 800km .

I am a newcomer to LF , having been NDB banging for some years the recent beta releases on WSJT-X have made things interesting for the older people on the band .Some of these stations were built up to work DX using Marconi T antennas and several hundred W of PA output .100Ft tall masts and inverted Ls are in use .

Amazingly I manage to hang on to a few shirt tails using an E Probe antenna for RX , in a Pine Tree @ 5m agl above "rubbish" ground .
The probe + either my SDR-IQ or ELAD FDM Duo are good from 10kHz to  10MHz .

For a pcb and components at around £10 the probe is beyond compare for low noise floor performance in terms of £/km .

I could never much hear 160m traffic on a 1/4 wave sloper but with that as a TX antenna and the E-probe on RX several thousand km are available at times .

73
John
G0API

No signs of LEX on 10GHz or CAM , so wrong kind of Snow from here .....


On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 13:34, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
I chat with GM3YXM on 160m every morning (another LF regular),  normally he is a couple of dB above the noise, today a good S9 +20 ... another regular in Portsmouth gave hime a similar report, everyone was up at least 20dB, quite remarkable.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 12:51, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
Hi Robin,
Blue Sky and Sunshine now - Topband (1.8MHz) is normal level here but on the real "Topbands " at 137kHz and 475kHz it was quite lively overnight .
Plenty of TA  WSPR-2 and FST4W modes .

WSPRSpot site says I decoded 20 spots on 137kHz ( poor by recent times, but it was crunchy at times from lightening out of Snow clouds etc ) and 1038 spots on 475kHz .

Several G stations have had 2 way QSOs with the States and JA on 475kHz

Quite a few uwavers are active on LF/MF .....

73
John
G0API


On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 10:43, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
At the other end of the spectrum, top band is unbelievably good at the moment .. never heard anything like it.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 09:53, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
A large band of snow cloud heading East from this QTH is producing SS from SEE and PKT .
73
John
G0API


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


Neil Smith G4DBN
 

All this 475 kHz is microwave compared with *proper* LF at 8270 Hz. Heh heh.

No sign of scatter on 10 GHz here at the moment, but there is a blanket of drizzle to the south which is very absorbent. I can't even hear GB3CAM, never mind KBQ/PKT/OSW.

I'm going back to the machine shop to bash some metal until the troposphere bucks up its ideas.

Neil G4DBN


John Lemay
 

Neil

I believe 'CAM on 10GHz is off air. I spent some time listening for it on Friday, before finding the relevant info on Beaconspot.

John G4ZTR

-----Original Message-----
From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Neil Smith G4DBN
Sent: 24 January 2021 14:25
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Snow Scatter

All this 475 kHz is microwave compared with *proper* LF at 8270 Hz. Heh heh.

No sign of scatter on 10 GHz here at the moment, but there is a blanket
of drizzle to the south which is very absorbent. I can't even hear
GB3CAM, never mind KBQ/PKT/OSW.

I'm going back to the machine shop to bash some metal until the
troposphere bucks up its ideas.

Neil G4DBN








--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


John Fell
 

Thanks for the heads up on CAM John.
Spent some mins looking for it earlier - should have looked at BS first .
Did encourage me to put the mast up a bit and was pleased to find GB3MCB on 10GHz.Not heard for some time here and it turns out my Pine tree is not helping - tree surgeon needed .
73
John
G0API 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 14:36, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
Neil

I believe 'CAM on 10GHz is off air. I spent some time listening for it on Friday, before finding the relevant info on Beaconspot.

John G4ZTR

-----Original Message-----
From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Neil Smith G4DBN
Sent: 24 January 2021 14:25
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Snow Scatter

All this 475 kHz is microwave compared with *proper* LF at 8270 Hz. Heh heh.

No sign of scatter on 10 GHz here at the moment, but there is a blanket
of drizzle to the south which is very absorbent. I can't even hear
GB3CAM, never mind KBQ/PKT/OSW.

I'm going back to the machine shop to bash some metal until the
troposphere bucks up its ideas.

Neil G4DBN








--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com







Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 

I do check the Mow Cop SDR from time to time, it has been remarkably barren of late ...

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 15:26, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on CAM John.
Spent some mins looking for it earlier - should have looked at BS first .
Did encourage me to put the mast up a bit and was pleased to find GB3MCB on 10GHz.Not heard for some time here and it turns out my Pine tree is not helping - tree surgeon needed .
73
John
G0API 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 14:36, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
Neil

I believe 'CAM on 10GHz is off air. I spent some time listening for it on Friday, before finding the relevant info on Beaconspot.

John G4ZTR

-----Original Message-----
From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Neil Smith G4DBN
Sent: 24 January 2021 14:25
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Snow Scatter

All this 475 kHz is microwave compared with *proper* LF at 8270 Hz. Heh heh.

No sign of scatter on 10 GHz here at the moment, but there is a blanket
of drizzle to the south which is very absorbent. I can't even hear
GB3CAM, never mind KBQ/PKT/OSW.

I'm going back to the machine shop to bash some metal until the
troposphere bucks up its ideas.

Neil G4DBN








--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com







--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


Brian Howie GM4DIJ
 

In message <CAHLi5mU8tLPqY+PtquoNvoYQtPK9WqzUMnFqRLTC_6R1sgXQZA@mail.gmail.com>, John Fell <john.g0api@gmail.com> writes
A large band of snow cloud heading East from this QTH is producing SS
from SEE and PKT .
73
John
G0API
Not snow scatter, but I recently worked out why the GB3CSB microwave beacons sounded fuzzy on a particular heading.

This is 23cm, 9cm and 13cm are much broader at times. I get a reflection on 3cm, but I've not looked at it on Spectran.

The GB3CSB site is line of sight to the huge Whitelees Wind farm on high ground to the south of Glasgow IO75TR81 . The turbines are very tall , the rotor hub is 65m agl, the rotor 9m diameter and there are 215 of them.

I'm not LOS to them but the path is not too bad.

The Spectrogram was Tuesday afternoon. By the time the contest started and the snow came on, both the 23cm and 9cm beacons, ( and everyone else) had vanished.

Maybe someone in a suitable location might like to try a turbine scatter QSO.

Brian GM4DIJ


--
Brian Howie


Neil Smith G4DBN
 

I couldn't hear myself on it, which is very unusual.

After sending my note about not hearing CAM, I checked Bspot and then saw the red splodge. That explains matters...

Neil G4DBN

On 24/01/2021 15:45, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
I do check the Mow Cop SDR from time to time, it has been remarkably barren of late ...

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 15:26, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on CAM John.
Spent some mins looking for it earlier - should have looked at BS first .
Did encourage me to put the mast up a bit and was pleased to find GB3MCB on 10GHz.Not heard for some time here and it turns out my Pine tree is not helping - tree surgeon needed .
73
John
G0API 

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 at 14:36, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
Neil

I believe 'CAM on 10GHz is off air. I spent some time listening for it on Friday, before finding the relevant info on Beaconspot.

John G4ZTR

-----Original Message-----
From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Neil Smith G4DBN
Sent: 24 January 2021 14:25
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Snow Scatter

All this 475 kHz is microwave compared with *proper* LF at 8270 Hz. Heh heh.

No sign of scatter on 10 GHz here at the moment, but there is a blanket
of drizzle to the south which is very absorbent. I can't even hear
GB3CAM, never mind KBQ/PKT/OSW.

I'm going back to the machine shop to bash some metal until the
troposphere bucks up its ideas.

Neil G4DBN