DUBUS Magazine for 2021

Roger Blackwell GM4PMK

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

Andy G4JNT

An excellent magazine - well-worth subscribing to.
And you can use it to practice your German too - all articles appear in both languages.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:21, Roger Blackwell GM4PMK <gm4pmk@...> wrote:

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

Conrad, PA5Y

I will renew my subscription, but I feel that it is about time that a PDF version was made available. I find it increasingly difficult to read as my eyesight worsens. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

An excellent magazine - well-worth subscribing to.
And you can use it to practice your German too - all articles appear in both languages.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:21, Roger Blackwell GM4PMK <gm4pmk@...> wrote:

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I enjoy getting the paper copy ... there is something "different" about having it in tangible form.  PDF is nice but people will tend to share them, which kills the revenue and eventually, kills the magazine ...

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 12:17, Conrad, PA5Y <g0ruz@...> wrote:
I will renew my subscription, but I feel that it is about time that a PDF version was made available. I find it increasingly difficult to read as my eyesight worsens. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

An excellent magazine - well-worth subscribing to.
And you can use it to practice your German too - all articles appear in both languages.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:21, Roger Blackwell GM4PMK <gm4pmk@...> wrote:

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

Colin Ranson

Hi Conrad,

Hope all ok,

Personally I prefer a paper book, mag etc. I find I can take in and assimilate the info better.

I know someone who does all his reading from a kindle, each to his own.

73’s   Colin.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

An excellent magazine - well-worth subscribing to.

And you can use it to practice your German too - all articles appear in both languages.

Andy

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:21, Roger Blackwell GM4PMK <gm4pmk@...> wrote:

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

Conrad, PA5Y

I used to feel the same way, but the fact is that I no longer get any enjoyment from Dubus. The print is simply too small for me to read. So, what should I do? Ask for a pdf so that I can enlarge the text to a comfortable size or just not renew? Dubus has an aging readership and I am quite sure that I am not the only one struggling. I could buy a big magnifying table lamp I suppose. I can't get on with higher magnification reading glasses, they give me headache.

Just a by-product of getting older.

73

Conrad PA5Y

An excellent magazine - well-worth subscribing to.
And you can use it to practice your German too - all articles appear in both languages.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:21, Roger Blackwell GM4PMK <gm4pmk@...> wrote:

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

I hate reading magazines on screen - there's nothing like being able to relax in a chair feet up with a paper magazine or book.   You just can't get comfortable with a laptop.   And once magazines start to give online offerings, there is the tendency for them to want to close down the paper version.

[...]

Renewed my subscription before Christmas!

I enjoy getting a magazine although 31 years of them is starting to take up a noticeable amount of space on the bookshelves.

I used to get QST in paper then switched to online only simply for the cost and space saving. The format was such you could, with a bit of program-foo convert it to PDF (albeit 300MB per magazine) for my own use. I was happy with that as I could read my QSTs on any computer/tablet I had.  Then ARRL changed the format to something horrific with animated page turning and rustling noises that was not portable and needed an online connection to display.  That's when I cancelled QST. I don't mind a company protecting its assets but if I cannot access what I have paid for in way that suits my needs then they don't get my money.  And yes, I'm sure I wasn't the only person who figured out how to get the old QST digital format converted to PDF and some people will have been making copies available so I don't blame ARRL for changing to a more protected form. Just the version they choose was so horrible. Perhaps I should have bought an iPad and it would have been lovely and it was just the Windows version that sucked. The ARRL viewer app would not run on my old Android tablet.

Andy
MM0FMF

I will renew my subscription, but I feel that it is about time that a PDF version was made available. I find it increasingly difficult to read as my eyesight worsens. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

An excellent magazine - well-worth subscribing to.
And you can use it to practice your German too - all articles appear in both languages.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:21, Roger Blackwell GM4PMK <gm4pmk@...> wrote:

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

Alan Melia

Conrad If you have reached that state, can I seriously suggest (if you have not done it) it is the time to dump cheap reading glasses and get a full eyetest and prescription glasses. I reached that state about 10 years ago finding I was getting acute eyestrain using standard readng glasses. I found I had astigmatismin my left eye. After getting prescription corrected glasses  I found I could read much more easily though a good light was an advantage, but I no longer felt eyestrain or headaches. I do not need distance glasses yet.

Like many of the other I cannot read technical text easily from a screen. A paper copy also makes less noise when it hits the floor than the laptop, when I fall asleep :-))

Alan
G3NYK

An excellent magazine - well-worth subscribing to.
And you can use it to practice your German too - all articles appear in both languages.

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 10:21, Roger Blackwell GM4PMK <gm4pmk@...> wrote:

The usual reminder that, if you wish to received DUBUS Magazine in 2021, subscriptions are due.

UK readers can find all the necessary details at www.dubus.org/uksubs.htm.

Non UK readers should look at www.dubus.org/subs.htm

Any questions, please contact me off list at dubus@...

Roger Blackwell  GM4PMK

www.marsport.org.uk

Conrad, PA5Y

Alan, I think that I will do exactly that. My distance vision remains excellent and a 4-x magnification illuminated lamp or even some 4 x magnification glasses are fine for soldering and I have a microscope for the small stuff.  I don't get headaches when doing this, only when reading.

I do like the idea of Dubus in its present form and its strange smelling ink, but I need to do something that's for sure.

 I use Sony Xperia tablet for reading pdfs and I have not dropped it yet 🙂

73

Conrad PA5Y