PicKit3 Annoyance on close down

Andy G4JNT

No it's not.
Confusing myself.  
The one in MPLAB-X is actually an older version, and had to do the Google search for a more up to date one.

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 19:38, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
It is also in the MPLABX download, and that's a later version.  

It's worth looking at the MPLABX download - although it's awful bloatware, there are a lot of utilities buried in it's deep subdirectory structure.  You just need to do a bit of detective work to find them

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 19:31, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
It's in the Microchip archives, but near impossible to find by delving down into them.   When I needed it, had to resort to Google which did a better job and found this 

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 19:21, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
I'm interested to see that there is a standalone program for running PicKit 3. I had thought that a full installation of MPLAB was necessary. I was reluctant to install MPLAB again as I've had such bad experiences with it in the past. Currently I'm using programming hardware and software by the UK company Fored (Forest Electronic Developments) but I've had a lot of problems with their products as well, so am looking for an alternative. The latest problem is that the programmer refuses to recognise 18F25K22 and will not program them. Has anyone used PicKit3 (or 4) to program these?

Andy G4JNT

It is also in the MPLABX download, and that's a later version.  

It's worth looking at the MPLABX download - although it's awful bloatware, there are a lot of utilities buried in it's deep subdirectory structure.  You just need to do a bit of detective work to find them

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 19:31, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
It's in the Microchip archives, but near impossible to find by delving down into them.   When I needed it, had to resort to Google which did a better job and found this 

I'm interested to see that there is a standalone program for running PicKit 3. I had thought that a full installation of MPLAB was necessary. I was reluctant to install MPLAB again as I've had such bad experiences with it in the past. Currently I'm using programming hardware and software by the UK company Fored (Forest Electronic Developments) but I've had a lot of problems with their products as well, so am looking for an alternative. The latest problem is that the programmer refuses to recognise 18F25K22 and will not program them. Has anyone used PicKit3 (or 4) to program these?

Andy G4JNT

Greg - ZL3IX

Alan Melia

Developers are useless at finding glitches in their code or unexpected implications :-))
Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] PicKit3 Annoyance on close down

Yes.   And is the reason WSJT is by default installed in a folder under C:
A good installation package would include a  dummy .INI file for this very reason, but developers do tend to forget these things

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 16:12, Alan Melia via groups.io <Alan.Melia=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
The other solution is not to install application like that in Programfiles which has a security lock to prevent new files being written there(probably unless administrator permission is used) The same problem I seem to remember affected Alberto's spectran or/and Argo which try to store the config at closedown.

Alan
G3NYK
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 3:57 PM
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] PicKit3 Annoyance on close down

Ever since I got the latest version, the Standalone PicKit 3 software installed on my laptop Win 10 machine  always had this annoying habit of locking up with an error message whenever it was closed down.   The same thing didn't happen on my Win 7 desktop.  I mainly use the latter for programming PICs, so never tried to solve the problem - it didn't affect operation of the software, just ending it.

After Charlie G3WDG reported exactly the same issue on his Win7 installation, I thought it was worth investigating.   The error message reported that it "could not write to PicKit3.ini" in the  install folder.

The solution was to create a blank file of that name in the installation folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\PiCkit 3 v3\  or similar )  then run the PicKit3 S/W.   This time it closed down properly and saved the settings, including a last-used files list and various menu selections I prefer. 

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Stephen Tompsett

In order to avoid problems with 'Windows File Protection' which attempts to protect system files from unintended modification; I generally find is best to install most Amateur Radio and similar software in a directory other than Program Files. It also makes it easy to backup up the data and files associated with application programs. I generally create a directory C:\Radio and then install applications in there.

On 13/01/2021 15:57, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Ever since I got the latest version, the Standalone PicKit 3 software installed on my laptop Win 10 machine  always had this annoying habit of locking up with an error message whenever it was closed down.   The same thing didn't happen on my Win 7 desktop.  I mainly use the latter for programming PICs, so never tried to solve the problem - it didn't affect operation of the software, just ending it.

After Charlie G3WDG reported exactly the same issue on his Win7 installation, I thought it was worth investigating.   The error message reported that it "could not write to PicKit3.ini" in the  install folder.

The solution was to create a blank file of that name in the installation folder ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\PiCkit 3 v3\  or similar )  then run the PicKit3 S/W.   This time it closed down properly and saved the settings, including a last-used files list and various menu selections I prefer. 

Virus-free. www.avg.com
-- 
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940
Mob: 07956 855816

Andy G4JNT

Yes.   And is the reason WSJT is by default installed in a folder under C:
A good installation package would include a  dummy .INI file for this very reason, but developers do tend to forget these things

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 16:12, Alan Melia via groups.io <Alan.Melia=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
The other solution is not to install application like that in Programfiles which has a security lock to prevent new files being written there(probably unless administrator permission is used) The same problem I seem to remember affected Alberto's spectran or/and Argo which try to store the config at closedown.

Alan
G3NYK

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Alan Melia

Alan
G3NYK

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Andy G4JNT

Virus-free. www.avg.com