The joys of RS - PICs for Keyer Boards

Andy G4JNT

RS Components are getting worse in their old age.

After wandering up to the Trade Counter this morning to collect the PIC devices, and being told "I had ordered too late", got back home and an hour or so later Parcel Force turned up with the package from RS.  I normally prefer delivery to the trade counter which is just 20 minutes walk away as it doesn't involve waiting-in for P-Farce.   So quite why they converted a "Deliver to Trade Counter"  into "Deliver to Home Address"  escapes me.   Probably down to the fatty protein lump.

Opened up the package to find 50  12F617 PIC devices, all individually packaged one per plastic bag that each had to cut open.  WHY do they do this ?

Anyway, boards assembled, devices programmed and into the post box for this afternoon's collection.

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 09:32, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
I've dispatched five orders so far and have run out of PICs.   Five still waiting.
Placed an order with RS yesterday, but they "claim" it was too late for delivery today , which was untrue as I placed the order at 1300, but whatever...

So should get them tomorrow.

Those who requested the sequential tone version, I captured your emails.  These boards will be marked with a '3' (for KEYER3).    Thought there was a space on the PayPal order form for a Message To Sender, but clearly not.

John Fell

Some years ago during the age of work I , as an Engineer for a  reasonably large supplier , had to comply with the voluminous  contract documentation supplied by RS , with regard to item packaging .
This often meant packaging and marking the RS house code identification , barcoding , date stamping etc etc .

Unless the end user complains about the user waste and time wasted with singular packaging , it will linger on .

Somewhere in my junk stores  I  have wire ended Resistors in their individually heat-sealed bags .

73
John
G0API

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 11:45, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan Melia

Hi Andy, I suspect some of it is legacy and some is to ease their handling. Yes they could probably buy cheaper from the manufacturers in sticks, but they have a legacy from the TV and radio repair days of selling single items. Having to decant chips from sticks for every order is expensive in time and ESD precautions. So it is more efficient for then to get their supply in unit (or small quantity ) bags. So keep your old sticks to store the spares and hope the sticks are still ESD proof.

Alan

[...]

Hi Andy,

With RS you get exactly what you ask for, i.e.50 off will come individually if the unit quantity sold in is 1, seems their pickers are not allowed to use common sense. If you select 'production pack' option they will come on a continuous strip. Sometimes there might be a minimum quantity or multiple for the production pack but often not.

Been caught too many times when ordering for production builds before I retired, PCB assemblers used to hate it when I sent kits with large numbers of individually packed devices.

Bob