not hearing 13cm GB3MHz anymore

Rien Eradus PA0JME

Hi all, normally I try to monitor the GB3MHZ beacons (currently 23, 13 and 9cm) which present a good condx indication.
The beacons are roughly 300km distance from my station.
The past few days condx we very bad due to rain and weather.
Weather has now improved and the signal of 23cm beacon has returned,albeit about 10 dB weaker than normal.
9cm is not audible nor is PI7RTD at about 80km distance, could be the transverter up in the mast.
My HP8672 generator can be heard though.
The same situation is true for 13 cm but normally the PI4 signal of GB3MHZ is around -13dB SNR, so with bad condx there is room to about -27dB SNR.
The past days nothing is received so I wonder if the problem is on my side but asking around gives the same picture.
The question remains is the beacon still on air?
Best regards Rien PA0JME

John Fell

Rein,
The conditions have been very poor across the uwave bands for some weeks now .
Today I have 50m visibility fog layer locally with a blocked High @ 1025mB .Would expect some enhancements but nothing - even sub-normal.
I would advise waiting before taking down any RF kit on your mast .

Best 73
John
G0API
IO80XS77JR

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 11:30, Rien Eradus PA0JME <pa0jme1952@...> wrote:
Hi all, normally I try to monitor the GB3MHZ beacons (currently 23, 13 and 9cm) which present a good condx indication.
The beacons are roughly 300km distance from my station.
The past few days condx we very bad due to rain and weather.
Weather has now improved and the signal of 23cm beacon has returned,albeit about 10 dB weaker than normal.
9cm is not audible nor is PI7RTD at about 80km distance, could be the transverter up in the mast.
My HP8672 generator can be heard though.
The same situation is true for 13 cm but normally the PI4 signal of GB3MHZ is around -13dB SNR, so with bad condx there is room to about -27dB SNR.
The past days nothing is received so I wonder if the problem is on my side but asking around gives the same picture.
The question remains is the beacon still on air?
Best regards Rien PA0JME

John Quarmby

I have just checked the 13cm GB3MHZ beacon and it looks like there is a fault, so I have remotely switched it off for now. As access to the site is not permitted at present, it may be a while before it can return. I will post again when there is news.

73

John G3XDY

On 10/01/2021 11:30, Rien Eradus PA0JME wrote:
Hi all, normally I try to monitor the GB3MHZ beacons (currently 23, 13 and 9cm) which present a good condx indication.
The beacons are roughly 300km distance from my station.
The past few days condx we very bad due to rain and weather.
Weather has now improved and the signal of 23cm beacon has returned,albeit about 10 dB weaker than normal.
9cm is not audible nor is PI7RTD at about 80km distance, could be the transverter up in the mast.
My HP8672 generator can be heard though.
The same situation is true for 13 cm but normally the PI4 signal of GB3MHZ is around -13dB SNR, so with bad condx there is room to about -27dB SNR.
The past days nothing is received so I wonder if the problem is on my side but asking around gives the same picture.
The question remains is the beacon still on air?
Best regards Rien PA0JME

Rien Eradus PA0JME

Thanks for the info John, I know condx were bad but normally it recovers quickly or there is the occasional plane reflection, but now nothing at all but for the spurious noise from telephone towers.
73 es Rien PA0JME

John Fell

Well if the spurious levels are normal amplitude , this suggests your RX is probably ok and maybe a lump of this freezing fog across the Sea is blocking your signals from UK ?

73
John
G0API

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 16:48, Rien Eradus PA0JME <pa0jme1952@...> wrote:
Thanks for the info John, I know condx were bad but normally it recovers quickly or there is the occasional plane reflection, but now nothing at all but for the spurious noise from telephone towers.
73 es Rien PA0JME

Rien Eradus PA0JME

Yes, but the tower is just some 250m away hi, wil try to test with a local station in Belgium tomorrow at 25km

73es Rien