Avoiding courier customs service fees

Mike Willis

Back on topic hopefully. I have never objected to paying duty and VAT but I do strongly object to paying £8 to £20 on top of that duty to the courier I already paid handsomely to deliver it in order to collect that duty. Often this charge is many times the amount of duty/VAT collected. Last week I had a charge of £8 on £4 VAT. There  is no option to appeal the fee and in the case of the post office it adds several days of delay. This £8 fee will now apply even to items costing £1, in order to collect 20p.

Unlike avoiding duty, avoiding these charges is not illegal. It is common sense.

Digikey, JLCPCB, Mouser allow pre-payment of the duty so this doesn't happen. Looks like Amazon and Ebay might be doing something similar. How do we arrange for a similar process to buy/sell something from/to another amateur? In a similar way to Parcels-To-Go can greatly reduce shipping costs maybe someone has a solution in the works.

--
Mike G0MJW

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I've never had a problem with JLC PCB and VAT/Duty, I order from them regularly, both for work and amateur use (not only because of price, but mostly because of speed and quality) and they have always been absolutely correct on their customs declarations ... the additional small charge on top of the VAT etc is not an issue for me.

the eBay "global shipping program" allows an item bought in say, the USA to be sent from an eBay USA warehouse in bulk, correctly declared and duty/VAT paid up front ... so that works well.

For genuine amateur to amateur sales, it should not be an issue. The new document states:

>quote

Non-business sales

Sales made by persons who are not in business are outside the scope of these measures. This includes gifts and consignments sent from consumer to consumer. Guidance on whether an activity is a business activity or not for VAT purposes can be found in the Non-business manual

> end quote

so there should not be any VAT/duty on genuine consumer to consumer sales entering the UK from either the EU or anywhere else.