VK3CV 30THz full system demonstration.


Tim, VK2XAX
 

Hi all,

Andrew, VK3CV, has been busy in lock-down pushing the boundaries of what's possible. Take a look at his latest video for experimentation on 30THz, here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gJtzMLR6T0

cheers

Tim


--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA


Barry Chambers
 

Tim

fascinating demo. What is the receive sensor please?

73 Barry, G8AGN

On 07/01/2021 02:50, Tim, VK2XAX wrote:
Hi all,

Andrew, VK3CV, has been busy in lock-down pushing the boundaries of what's possible. Take a look at his latest video for experimentation on 30THz, here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gJtzMLR6T0

cheers

Tim

--
73
Barry, G8AGN


Barry Chambers
 

Tim

is the sensor a MLX90614? If so, there is already one in my spares box!

73

Barry

On 07/01/2021 02:50, Tim, VK2XAX wrote:
Hi all,

Andrew, VK3CV, has been busy in lock-down pushing the boundaries of what's possible. Take a look at his latest video for experimentation on 30THz, here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gJtzMLR6T0

cheers

Tim

--
73
Barry, G8AGN


g4bao
 

No info on what his TX is?
Surely it's not just a hot copper plate is it?
If so I don't understand!

Anyone elucidate?

73
John
 


g4bao
 

Oh, it is a hot copper plate, isn't it!

I Just looked up the sensor Barry mentioned and I see that it's an infra red thermometer!

Hadn't quite sunk in what 30THz meant, ....Hmm.... but is it radio? (Ducks!)

:-)

J


   


John Fell
 

If it Quacks and waddles it's a Duck ......

John
G0API

Murray does not seem to know where these 1W 10GHz devices are ?

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 16:26, g4bao <john@...> wrote:
Oh, it is a hot copper plate, isn't it!

I Just looked up the sensor Barry mentioned and I see that it's an infra red thermometer!

Hadn't quite sunk in what 30THz meant, ....Hmm.... but is it radio? (Ducks!)

:-)

J


   


Barry VE4MA
 

I think he refers to it as a number of resistors in the TX 

Barry VE4MA


Barry Chambers
 

John

yes it is. Modulation is via putting an opaque screen between the hot plate and the Rx; hence my reference before to QRSS

73 Barry, G8AGN


On 07/01/2021 16:13, g4bao wrote:
No info on what his TX is?
Surely it's not just a hot copper plate is it?
If so I don't understand!

Anyone elucidate?

73
John
 
-- 
73
Barry, G8AGN


Andy G4JNT
 

SRI.
I've really got to ask this
When is 1st April in the Southern Hemisphere
:-)



On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 21:04, Barry Chambers <b.chambers@...> wrote:

John

yes it is. Modulation is via putting an opaque screen between the hot plate and the Rx; hence my reference before to QRSS

73 Barry, G8AGN


On 07/01/2021 16:13, g4bao wrote:
No info on what his TX is?
Surely it's not just a hot copper plate is it?
If so I don't understand!

Anyone elucidate?

73
John
 
-- 
73
Barry, G8AGN


Tim, VK2XAX
 

Andrew says...

"RX is based on a chip from Melexis, the MLX90614 which operates between approx 5 -14um.

I'm in the process of getting a detailed article written now."

cheers
Tim

On 7/1/21 7:34 pm, Barry Chambers wrote:
Tim

fascinating demo. What is the receive sensor please?

73 Barry, G8AGN


-- 
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA


Barry Chambers
 

Tim

many thanks

Barry, G8AGN


On 08/01/2021 00:55, Tim, VK2XAX wrote:

Andrew says...

"RX is based on a chip from Melexis, the MLX90614 which operates between approx 5 -14um.

I'm in the process of getting a detailed article written now."

cheers
Tim

On 7/1/21 7:34 pm, Barry Chambers wrote:
Tim

fascinating demo. What is the receive sensor please?

73 Barry, G8AGN


-- 
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA
-- 
73
Barry, G8AGN


Glyn M0XGT
 

Andrew says...

"RX is based on a chip from Melexis, the MLX90614 which operates between approx 5 -14um.

I'm in the process of getting a detailed article written now." 
That makes sense - in the demo the temperature of the TX plate is 115 deg-C, T = 388 K, which puts the spectral peak of the blackbody radiation (Wein’s Law) at a wavelength of lambda = 2.89e-3/T = 7.45 um and frequency  f = 3e8/lambda = 40.2 THz.

Would be interesting to add some extra frequency selectivity with narrowband IR filters, diffraction grids, etc., to resolve wide m-FSK symbols.

Glyn M0XGT 

 


G1BVI-Nick
 

I wonder how the receiver would respond when pointed at the sun?
might be a way of detecting solar flares perhaps???


f1ghb
 

Hello,

Pyroelectric Thermometer can be also used as millimeterwave ( 122GHz.. ) detector.

See :

http://highfrequencyelectronics.com/Mar09/HFE0309_DesignNotes.pdf

In the past I have used the MELEXIS MLX90247 with success in this application

73s Eric



Le 08/01/2021 08:42, Barry Chambers a écrit :

Tim

many thanks

Barry, G8AGN


On 08/01/2021 00:55, Tim, VK2XAX wrote:

Andrew says...

"RX is based on a chip from Melexis, the MLX90614 which operates between approx 5 -14um.

I'm in the process of getting a detailed article written now."

cheers
Tim

On 7/1/21 7:34 pm, Barry Chambers wrote:
Tim

fascinating demo. What is the receive sensor please?

73 Barry, G8AGN


-- 
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA
-- 
73
Barry, G8AGN


Lou Blasco
 

In answer to Andy's question, November 5th seems the most appropriate for this discussion.

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB


On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 11:27 PM f1ghb <f1ghb@...> wrote:
Hello,

Pyroelectric Thermometer can be also used as millimeterwave ( 122GHz.. ) detector.

See :

http://highfrequencyelectronics.com/Mar09/HFE0309_DesignNotes.pdf

In the past I have used the MELEXIS MLX90247 with success in this application

73s Eric



Le 08/01/2021 08:42, Barry Chambers a écrit :

Tim

many thanks

Barry, G8AGN


On 08/01/2021 00:55, Tim, VK2XAX wrote:

Andrew says...

"RX is based on a chip from Melexis, the MLX90614 which operates between approx 5 -14um.

I'm in the process of getting a detailed article written now."

cheers
Tim

On 7/1/21 7:34 pm, Barry Chambers wrote:
Tim

fascinating demo. What is the receive sensor please?

73 Barry, G8AGN


-- 
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA
-- 
73
Barry, G8AGN