RG405 Cable

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Hi all

I ordered, what I thought would be a 2 metre length of RG405 semi-ridgid cable from a well known supplier, i even rang the help line to ensure that it would be 2 metres long

This morning 2 by I metre lengths turned up.

Its now waiting to be collected with their returns number, at their cost as there tracking system shows my phone call and reason.

Will I ever get this project finished !!!!

Best 73's

Denis

G0OLX

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Try the Dutch RF Shop if it has to be RG405:

Or Enigmashop if you can use something else.  2m of 405 sounds quite long and quite lossy ...

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 11:37, Denis Stanton G0OLX <Stantondenis@...> wrote:
Hi all

I ordered, what I thought would be a 2 metre length of RG405 semi-ridgid cable from a well known supplier, i even rang the help line to ensure that it would be 2 metres long

This morning 2 by I metre lengths turned up.

Its now waiting to be collected with their returns number, at their cost as there tracking system shows my phone call and reason.

Will I ever get this project finished !!!!

Best 73's

Denis

G0OLX

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Hi All
Thanks Robin for info on Dutch company.
I will look into that.
Another question
Has anybody used RG401 semi ridgid
Most of the other cable have been RG402

RG 401 looks to have a far lower loss at 10 GHz but wondering about the bending radius

Best 73's

Denis
G0OLX

Stephen Tompsett

Assuming that you are using real solid copper outer cable, forget about the 'semi' for RG401 - you need a pipe bender!

--
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Steve
Thank you
I was wondering about how I would go about bending it
Back to RG402 for the feed from TWT output to SMA relay and 3 dB of loss
Best 73’s
Denis
G0OLX

On 14 Dec 2020, at 13:06, Stephen Tompsett <stephen@...> wrote:

Assuming that you are using real solid copper outer cable, forget about the 'semi' for RG401 - you need a pipe bender!

On 14/12/2020 12:09, Denis Stanton G0OLX wrote:
Hi All
Thanks Robin for info on Dutch company.
I will look into that.
Another question
Has anybody used RG401 semi ridgid
Most of the other cable have been RG402

RG 401 looks to have a far lower loss at 10 GHz but wondering about the bending radius

Best 73's

Denis
G0OLX
--
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940
Mob: 07956 855816

Bob_G1ZJP

Denis

Here is the spec sheet for RG401, http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1600437.pdf  On advice, for finishing off my 10GHz project, I purchased several pieces from France – of those several pieces came with rather nice 4.3/10 connectors [frequently referred to a mini 7-16,] similar to this R183010007W   Datasheet (farnell.com) [note these are only spedc’d to 6GHz]  I guess that increased the P&P a little 😊 I’ve only seen 1m lengths for sale in the UK.  Maybe one of our learned friends can help more?

73

Bob, G1ZJP

RG 401 looks to have a far lower loss at 10 GHz but wondering about the bending radius

Best 73's

Denis
G0OLX

Phil Guttridge G3TCU

Hi Denis,

I've  used 'real' RG401 and haven't found any trouble with bending it to the required route by hand. I just looked for any odd things of the right diameter to bend it around.

73, Phil G3TCU

On 14/12/2020 12:09, Denis Stanton G0OLX via groups.io wrote:
Hi All
Thanks Robin for info on Dutch company.
I will look into that.
Another question
Has anybody used RG401 semi ridgid
Most of the other cable have been RG402

RG 401 looks to have a far lower loss at 10 GHz but wondering about the bending radius

Best 73's

Denis
G0OLX

DF6NA Rainer

Hi Denis,

RG401U is easy to use. I have some surplus here.

73, Rainer

Am 14.12.2020 um 14:33 schrieb Phil Guttridge G3TCU:

Hi Denis,

I've  used 'real' RG401 and haven't found any trouble with bending it to the required route by hand. I just looked for any odd things of the right diameter to bend it around.

73, Phil G3TCU

On 14/12/2020 12:09, Denis Stanton G0OLX via groups.io wrote:
Hi All
Thanks Robin for info on Dutch company.
I will look into that.
Another question
Has anybody used RG401 semi ridgid
Most of the other cable have been RG402

RG 401 looks to have a far lower loss at 10 GHz but wondering about the bending radius

Best 73's

Denis
G0OLX

Ah, my apologies ... I thought the OP was looking for RG405,  I *think* he is looking for RG405/U  which is different.

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 13:44, DF6NA Rainer <df6na@...> wrote:
[...]

RG401 is very nice, the problem I always have is finding suitable connectors at sensible prices! Rallies used to be an excellent source of ex-military RG401 and connectors, but not had any of those in ages!

[...]

Rainer
I am looking for 2 metres if you could go to that.
I must first look at SMA connectors to see if they are easy to get hold off
It would mean the difference of 12+Watts at the aerial to about 18+Watts for the 10 GHz moon bounce using a 1.25 metre dish
Every little bit helps!!!
Best 73’s
Denis
G0OLX

[...]

<RG401-U.pdf>

DF6NA Rainer

Search also for UT-250 !

73, Rainer

Am 14.12.2020 um 14:52 schrieb Robin Szemeti - G1YFG:

[...]

do you need 2m in one piece ? That's hard to send.
It possibly would be better to place the amp near the feed.
Look at the foto: the amp is behind the dish and I use 60cm flex waveguide to the feed.
There is also a preamp and a SMA coax relais in the box. Feedline is 12m Aircom Plus.

73, Rainer

Am 14.12.2020 um 14:55 schrieb Denis Stanton G0OLX:

[...]

John Quarmby

The handyform version of RG401 with solder filled braid rather than solid copper tube for the outer is easier to work with, but a little lossier.

I have bought SMAs for RG401 from either Mouser or Digikey, I forget which.

73

John G3XDY

On 14/12/2020 13:14, Denis Stanton G0OLX wrote:
[...]

Have done it all in SMA and coaxial cable change over relay preamp just behind dish feed
Only a standard 1.25 Metre offset TV dish so quite light weight TWT and PSU will be mounted mounted behind dish hence on Alli. scaffold pole, about 1.25 metre length of cable to get the RF to the relay
Bit late to change it all now.
But I have just acquired a 1.5 Meter dish with a much wider bottom support so may be able to may be able to rearrange once I have sorted out mounting arrangements
I have sourced some RG401 new connectors but they only supply cable in 1 Metre lengths as well
So back to the drawing board may have to put up with the RG402 3 dB loss instead
Thank you anyway
Best 73’s
Denis
G0OLX

On 14 Dec 2020, at 14:16, DF6NA Rainer <df6na@...> wrote:

[...]

<10GHz_Ant_0266.jpg>

Denis Stanton G0OLX

John
Thanks for your input as well
I didn’t know they done the solder filled flexible version
I will check the loss table to see if it’s better the RG402
73’s
Denis G0OLX

On 14 Dec 2020, at 14:21, John Quarmby via groups.io <g3xdy@...> wrote:

[...]

I undestand the problem. Sending anything longer than 1,2m is a very big problem.
Even 1,2m is very expensive when send outside Germany.

But more importand to reduce losses you should move the amplifier closer to the feed!
You will also get a better signal on RX.

73, Rainer

Am 14.12.2020 um 15:33 schrieb Denis Stanton G0OLX:

[...]

RX working fine moon beacon decodes at about -10 to -8 dB and I have heard about 12 other call signs and two continents including the relay and dish lead.
Some of the others where using small dishes as well!!!
The new dish may be more suitable but won’t know until I have it here later
Just want to get as much TX power as I can
I have a 8 Watt Demi PA which is lightweight but needs 2 watts of drive and would mean taking the PA out of the portable equipment and going back to 250 mWatt when playing Portable
I have had experience with 10 Watt TWT and damp portable conditions, quite spectacular when it all goes pop!!!!
Best 73’s
Denis
G0OLX