Microwavers Audio Keyer


Andy G4JNT
 

Now it's appeared in Scatterpoint, for anyone who isn't UKUG member (are there any here ?)


Andy 'JNT


Andy GD1MIP
 

Thanks Andy.

I am no longer a member, and I do miss the information. 

Andy GD1MIP 


Colin G4EML
 

Andy,

 

I had similar ideas but was thinking of also routing the microphone PTT via the PIC. That way the beacon (or chirp!) could automatically be cancelled by just pressing the PTT. One less thing to remember in the heat of a contact, just grab the microphone and talk without first needing to stop the keyer.

 

Maybe use the PTT from the Mic instead of the mode button.

 

Press and hold the PTT to stop the keyer and talk.

Press the Key to stop the keyer and send manual CW.

Press the PTT and the Key simultaneously to start the keyer.

Blip the PTT to switch between beacon and chirp.

 

Colin.

 

 

 

From: Andy G4JNT
Sent: 04 December 2020 18:52
To: UK Microwaves groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Microwavers Audio Keyer

 

Now it's appeared in Scatterpoint, for anyone who isn't UKUG member (are there any here ?)

 

 

Andy 'JNT

 

 


Andy G4JNT
 

Not really enough interest been shown yet to justify a commercial PCB order.
SO far five people wanting a total of 7 
I want to make it worth while getting 50 or more made up.    Newbury Electronics becomes quite a reasonable deal then.





Neil Smith G4DBN
 

Put me down for five PCBs please Andy.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/12/2020 14:47, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Not really enough interest been shown yet to justify a commercial PCB order.
SO far five people wanting a total of 7 
I want to make it worth while getting 50 or more made up.    Newbury Electronics becomes quite a reasonable deal then.


Andy G4JNT
 

That's more like it  :-)
Any more ?



On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 14:52, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

Put me down for five PCBs please Andy.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/12/2020 14:47, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Not really enough interest been shown yet to justify a commercial PCB order.
SO far five people wanting a total of 7 
I want to make it worth while getting 50 or more made up.    Newbury Electronics becomes quite a reasonable deal then.


Denis Stanton G0OLX
 

Andy

Please put me down for 5 as well

Many thanks

Denis
G0OLX


On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 3:07 PM Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
That's more like it  :-)
Any more ?



On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 14:52, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

Put me down for five PCBs please Andy.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/12/2020 14:47, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Not really enough interest been shown yet to justify a commercial PCB order.
SO far five people wanting a total of 7 
I want to make it worth while getting 50 or more made up.    Newbury Electronics becomes quite a reasonable deal then.


Ron
 

Four here please Andy

Ron, G6BMY


Dave
 

Put me down for one more taking the total up to three.
Many thanks,
David G4GLT. 


On 8 Dec 2020, at 17:50, Ron <g6bmy@...> wrote:

Four here please Andy

Ron, G6BMY


Andy G4JNT
 

OK, that's enough to make a decent order worthwhile.    I did a quick sus on Newbury's site a few days ago, and at 50 off prices seemed quite reasonable.   So will get the order sent in within a day or so.



On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 18:02, Dave via groups.io <davidnewman55=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Put me down for one more taking the total up to three.
Many thanks,
David G4GLT. 


On 8 Dec 2020, at 17:50, Ron <g6bmy@...> wrote:

Four here please Andy

Ron, G6BMY


Ian Pawson G0FCT
 

Andy,
Put me down for five boards please.

Ian G0FCT


On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 17:50, Ron <g6bmy@...> wrote:
Four here please Andy

Ron, G6BMY


Tom GM8MJV
 

Hi Andy


Put me down for three please.

Tom
GM8MJV



On 8 Dec 2020, at 14:47, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Not really enough interest been shown yet to justify a commercial PCB order.
SO far five people wanting a total of 7 
I want to make it worth while getting 50 or more made up.    Newbury Electronics becomes quite a reasonable deal then.








Ed G3VPF
 

Andy

Put me down for three boards.

Ed G3VPF IO80RQ


From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of Tom GM8MJV <tom@...>
Sent: 08 December 2020 19:07
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Microwavers Audio Keyer
 
Hi Andy


Put me down for three please.

Tom
GM8MJV



On 8 Dec 2020, at 14:47, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Not really enough interest been shown yet to justify a commercial PCB order.
SO far five people wanting a total of 7 
I want to make it worth while getting 50 or more made up.    Newbury Electronics becomes quite a reasonable deal then.








Lee West (G4TNX)
 

3 for me please

Cheers
Lee (G4TNX)

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 at 19:32, Ed G3VPF <g3vpf@...> wrote:
Andy

Put me down for three boards.

Ed G3VPF IO80RQ

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of Tom GM8MJV <tom@...>
Sent: 08 December 2020 19:07
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Microwavers Audio Keyer
 
Hi Andy


Put me down for three please.

Tom
GM8MJV



On 8 Dec 2020, at 14:47, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Not really enough interest been shown yet to justify a commercial PCB order.
SO far five people wanting a total of 7 
I want to make it worth while getting 50 or more made up.    Newbury Electronics becomes quite a reasonable deal then.








militaryoperator
 


Is there a potential problem here. 

Station with audio CW, ie tone on SSB tries to contact station with 'real' CW, ie me, so I push one button, SSB to CW mode, and key up but now my tone on the other chaps rx alters, he retunes. But when he tx's to me his tone will be off so I retune,  etc etc.

Or am I missing something (again)?

Let's hope we all know where our IRT buttons are. 

Ben G4BXD




Chris G3WIE
 

.. and 3 for me also, please Andy.

The bands will forever be filled with whooping...

73

Chris G3WIE


neil whiting
 

Hi Ben,

My first criterion in choosing a rig is that the tone must stay the same.
This is done by offsetting the dial frequency by the CW tone when changing
from SSB to CW. Yaesu and Elecraft rigs do this, but I don't know about
recent rigs from other manufacturers. I bought an Icom many years ago
without realising that it could not do that - I didn't keep it long.

73,
Neil  G4BRK

Virus-free. www.avast.com


On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 09:59, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Is there a potential problem here. 

Station with audio CW, ie tone on SSB tries to contact station with 'real' CW, ie me, so I push one button, SSB to CW mode, and key up but now my tone on the other chaps rx alters, he retunes. But when he tx's to me his tone will be off so I retune,  etc etc.

Or am I missing something (again)?

Let's hope we all know where our IRT buttons are. 

Ben G4BXD




Andy G4JNT
 

SO many wanting a fair few PCBs each - what have I missed :-)

Just  ordered 100 PCBs from Newbury Electronics, PCB Train.
Delivery 15 days

Note to builders, apart from the PIC which I'll supply (possibly even mounted on the board if that turns out to be an easier way to programme them)  all components in some form or another ,except the LM3480 voltage regulator, should be in the Chipbank stocks and available FREE to UKuG members .   There's plenty of scope for juggling values and types.
You can even replace the PTT FET with a bipolar if you wanted to - don't think the Chipbank has 2N7002.
The voltage reg is there for operation above 5V input.    The PIC itself will run from 2.5 to 5.5V, so a single Li battery would do the trick, missing out the Vreg altogether.
  
BTW, I've just noticed, in the circuit diagram published in Scatterpoint, the Vreg is incorrectly shown as LM3408



Virus-free. www.avg.com


On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 10:00, Chris G3WIE <g3wie@...> wrote:
.. and 3 for me also, please Andy.

The bands will forever be filled with whooping...

73

Chris G3WIE


Michael Scott
 

Hi Andy

I will have a look at the parts list and see what the Chipbank can offer! We do have some RK7002 N channel MOSFETs. I will have a look at the data sheets of both it and the 2N7002 and see what the difference is.

73, Mike.

On 09/12/2020 11:16, Andy G4JNT wrote:
SO many wanting a fair few PCBs each - what have I missed :-)

Just  ordered 100 PCBs from Newbury Electronics, PCB Train.
Delivery 15 days

Note to builders, apart from the PIC which I'll supply (possibly even mounted on the board if that turns out to be an easier way to programme them)  all components in some form or another ,except the LM3480 voltage regulator, should be in the Chipbank stocks and available FREE to UKuG members .   There's plenty of scope for juggling values and types.
You can even replace the PTT FET with a bipolar if you wanted to - don't think the Chipbank has 2N7002.
The voltage reg is there for operation above 5V input.    The PIC itself will run from 2.5 to 5.5V, so a single Li battery would do the trick, missing out the Vreg altogether.
  
BTW, I've just noticed, in the circuit diagram published in Scatterpoint, the Vreg is incorrectly shown as LM3408



Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 10:00, Chris G3WIE <g3wie@...> wrote:
.. and 3 for me also, please Andy.

The bands will forever be filled with whooping...

73

Chris G3WIE


Andy G4JNT
 

They look like 2N7002s in disguise :-)
Since most people's PTT requirements are going to be a few mA at a few V, reckon anything would do.



On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 11:56, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Andy

I will have a look at the parts list and see what the Chipbank can offer! We do have some RK7002 N channel MOSFETs. I will have a look at the data sheets of both it and the 2N7002 and see what the difference is.

73, Mike.

On 09/12/2020 11:16, Andy G4JNT wrote:
SO many wanting a fair few PCBs each - what have I missed :-)

Just  ordered 100 PCBs from Newbury Electronics, PCB Train.
Delivery 15 days

Note to builders, apart from the PIC which I'll supply (possibly even mounted on the board if that turns out to be an easier way to programme them)  all components in some form or another ,except the LM3480 voltage regulator, should be in the Chipbank stocks and available FREE to UKuG members .   There's plenty of scope for juggling values and types.
You can even replace the PTT FET with a bipolar if you wanted to - don't think the Chipbank has 2N7002.
The voltage reg is there for operation above 5V input.    The PIC itself will run from 2.5 to 5.5V, so a single Li battery would do the trick, missing out the Vreg altogether.
  
BTW, I've just noticed, in the circuit diagram published in Scatterpoint, the Vreg is incorrectly shown as LM3408



Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 10:00, Chris G3WIE <g3wie@...> wrote:
.. and 3 for me also, please Andy.

The bands will forever be filled with whooping...

73

Chris G3WIE