Battery

Colin Ranson

uW’ers et al,

12V Rechargeable 3000mAh Li-ion Battery Storage AC/DC for CCTV Camera Battery

A year or so ago I bought the above off the bay with the intention of supplying a noise free 12v to small projects on the workbench.

DON’T !     It turned out pretty useless, soon dropped volts/and would not hold charge.

Just took it apart for curiosity.

Contents – three Huawei 1500mAh connected in series.  Batteries dated 2010.

Caveat Emptor !

Stay safe all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

I'm pretty sure I have some "5000 mA" 18650? cells that have a smaller cell inside ........

have'nt had he guts to open one yet !

On 28 November 2020 at 23:43 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

uW’ers et al,

12V Rechargeable 3000mAh Li-ion Battery Storage AC/DC for CCTV Camera Battery

A year or so ago I bought the above off the bay with the intention of supplying a noise free 12v to small projects on the workbench.

DON’T !     It turned out pretty useless, soon dropped volts/and would not hold charge.

Just took it apart for curiosity.

Contents – three Huawei 1500mAh connected in series.  Batteries dated 2010.

Caveat Emptor !

Stay safe all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Colin Ranson

Gordon,  forgot to mention these were 3.7v (x 3) flat profile phone batteries.

Certainly takes the biscuit !

Colin.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I'm pretty sure I have some "5000 mA" 18650? cells that have a smaller cell inside ........

have'nt had he guts to open one yet !

On 28 November 2020 at 23:43 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

uW’ers et al,

12V Rechargeable 3000mAh Li-ion Battery Storage AC/DC for CCTV Camera Battery

A year or so ago I bought the above off the bay with the intention of supplying a noise free 12v to small projects on the workbench.

DON’T !     It turned out pretty useless, soon dropped volts/and would not hold charge.

Just took it apart for curiosity.

Contents – three Huawei 1500mAh connected in series.  Batteries dated 2010.

Caveat Emptor !

Stay safe all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bill Hill, M1BKF

I've seen batteries which were the brand "8000mah", actual capacity not stated...

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I do follow battery technology to some extent, as I have continual problems with the lead acid cells on my boat ... I am considering LiFePO4 cells at soem point, when they become cheap enough ...

Have a scroll to the bottom of this page:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 14:00, Bill Hill, M1BKF <mail@...> wrote:
I've seen batteries which were the brand "8000mah", actual capacity not stated...

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

For small batteries, it's worth a browse through some of the Big Clive videos on YouTube - showing good 'uns and, well, the ones like were spoken of here!

As a previous blue water sailor on my 36' sailing boat, I can attest to the horrors of Lead Acid batteries, having to replace 4x big 'uns every 3 years or so at expense but more importantly tearing the boat apart to get at the two battery banks. AND THE WEIGHT. [3 years? It was tropical and heat is really tough on them, smart chargers and all]

I've been watching some of the narrowboat channels on YouTube. These people are also liveaboards [read = hard on batteries] and have limited space for solar panels (by definition). Check out 'Cruising the Cut' - he starts out as an utter novice, but his solar/newer battery install is interesting. Batteries have come a long way in a short time. BUT don't be 'cheap'! (oh dear, maybe here is not the place to say that!).
--
73, Paul Evans G4BKI [VP9KF]

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Going off to topic now ... but ...  our  botas lead acid batteries are "EFB" type,  supposedly less fussy than AGM.   We have 1 x 95aH engine battery, 3 x 110aH house batteries, and 2 x 95aH nav/systems batteries ... the biggest single improvement we have seen is from fitting a small 50W solar cell that keeps them all tip-top charged.  An intelligent trickle charges shares the power around and maintains all the banks at peak charge and it has done wonders for our battery life.

Not that we've been able to actually get to our boat for god knows how long as it is in Wales, but the remote monitor tells me we are all fully charged.  I've taken to putting a small solar panel on the dash of the unused car to keep it topped up

It might be a solution for the /P amateurs who keep batteries for the purpose, just slap a small solar panel across them and keep them fresh ...

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 14:49, Paul Evans W4/VP9KF <paul@...> wrote:
[...]

I have a 12 volt , ex land rover battery , running alarm and lighting , in a shed , kept topped up very well , with a 10 watt solar cell , across which are four , 5 watt 14.2 Volt (?) zeners in parallel , these get pleasantly warm in high summer ....

On 29 November 2020 at 14:00 "Bill Hill, M1BKF" <mail@...> wrote:

I've seen batteries which were the brand "8000mah", actual capacity not stated...

Alan Beard

Hi Bill,

If your looking at LiPo batteries in the 18650 format 18mm dia. 65mm long,
be wary, the MAX that genuine manufacturers can do in this size is around 4000mAh.

The batch of 10000mAh cells I bought did at max, 200mAh !!!!
Only use, practising welding the tabs on.

Yes, NiCd and NiMh AA batteries went from 500mAh to 2800mAh over the years,
don't expect LiPo to do a five times improvement.

Alan VK2ZIW

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 06:00:47 -0800, Bill Hill, M1BKF wrote
> I've seen batteries which were the brand "8000mah", actual capacity not stated...

Alan VK2ZIW
Before the Big Bang, God, Sela.
OpenWebMail 2.53, nothing in the cloud.