Topics

GB3MHZ beacons wobbling on both 23 and 13 cm

Rien Eradus PA0JME

Hi all, upon switching on the shack this morning my first check is always the UK beacons GB3MHZ (1296.830 2320.830 and 3400.830). The first two are practically always audible imo not bad at 280km
Turning on the laptop with PI-RX I noticed the CW signal is wobbling about with about 50 Hz pkpk deviation with +/- 12sec period. Both beacons show this behaviour.
I cannot check the 9cm one since not audible/too weak
Switching on my HP generator produces a nice straight line on the PI-RX waterfall, so my LO seems OK.
Btw PI4 detection does not seem to work either due to LF wobble.
Can anyone confirm this behaviour too?
Best regards Rien PA0JME

SAM JEWELL

Rein,
They are controlled from a common GPS.  It has temporarily lost lock. The effect usually last less than 30 minutes.

73 de Sam, G4DDK,
Part of the MHZ beacon team

On 17 Nov 2020, at 11:34, Rien Eradus PA0JME <pa0jme1952@...> wrote:

Hi all, upon switching on the shack this morning my first check is always the UK beacons GB3MHZ (1296.830 2320.830 and 3400.830). The first two are practically always audible imo not bad at 280km
Turning on the laptop with PI-RX I noticed the CW signal is wobbling about with about 50 Hz pkpk deviation with +/- 12sec period. Both beacons show this behaviour.
I cannot check the 9cm one since not audible/too weak
Switching on my HP generator produces a nice straight line on the PI-RX waterfall, so my LO seems OK.
Btw PI4 detection does not seem to work either due to LF wobble.
Can anyone confirm this behaviour too?
Best regards Rien PA0JME

Rien Eradus PA0JME

Hi Sam, I already noticed the 'shortlived' wobbling before, but now it lasts from 8:59 UTC switch on up till now 12:29 UTC, so much longer than normal

best regards Rien

Op 17-11-2020 om 12:46 schreef SAM JEWELL via groups.io:

[...]

Ohhh!
Once the present Covid 'thing' is over, and we can access the site, we wil be able to investigate the beacons. The 10GHz one needs replacing and a better GPS solution is required.
Meanwhile the 3.4GHz beacon can provide a useful source for all the new UK 9cm band enthusiasts to calibrate their antenna systems.

73 de Sam, G4DDK

On 17 Nov 2020, at 12:31, Rien Eradus PA0JME <pa0jme1952@...> wrote:

[...]

John Lemay

Sam

Just to confirm, from a local observation, that there is wobble on 23 and 13cms, and 9cms is nice and wobble-free ! The wobble is more obvious on 13cms, as you would expect.

John G4ZTR

[...]

John,
Maybe because 9cm is not GPS controlled!
 73 de Sam

On 17 Nov 2020, at 16:02, John Lemay <john@...> wrote

[...]

Hi all, just looked once more and both beacons seem to have restored themselves and PI4 copies ok again

Best regards Rien