Limitation of Portable Operation in the UKuG Low Band Contest 15th November 2020

John Quarmby

The UK Microwave Group will suspend acceptance of contest entries from portable stations in England until 2nd December. Multi-operator entries remain off-limits until further notice.

Single Operator Fixed Station operation is encouraged.

The last UKuG Contest this year is the Low Band event on 1296, 2300, 2320, and 3400MHz which will take place on Sunday 15th November 2020 from 1000 - 1400gmt.

Please follow the latest government guidance and keep safe.

73

John G3XDY
UKuG Contest Manager

alwyn.seeds1

Dear John,

I note that the government has, today, issued revised guidance for metal detectorists to apply during England’s lock-down.

If the government has no objection to fishing and metal detecting going on during lockdown, to say nothing of horse riding, I really cannot see why the government would object to /P operation.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU,
England.

John Quarmby

Hi Alwyn

Both of these examples are in the open air, where recreation is permitted. Most portable operation at this time of year is in cars or other enclosed environments.

The guidance indicates that travel other than for essential purposes should be avoided, in my view taking part in amateur radio contests when it is possible to enter from a fixed location would not qualify as essential travel.

I do not think that UKuG should encourage operation which could be seen by the authorities as not within the the current covid-19 rules.

73

John G3XDY

On 06/11/2020 15:39, alwyn.seeds1 wrote:
Dear John,

I note that the government has, today, issued revised guidance for metal detectorists to apply during England’s lock-down.

If the government has no objection to fishing and metal detecting going on during lockdown, to say nothing of horse riding, I really cannot see why the government would object to /P operation.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director
SynOptika Ltd.,
114 Beaufort Street,
London,
SW3 6BU,
England.

steve G1PPA

Hi John
Just bought 13cm but will unfortunately will have to miss this contest, I cannot operate from home on any microwave band, good luck to all taking part
Steve
G1PPA

Andy G4JNT

You can operate /P.  You just can't put in an entry.
Depends if you feel competitive, or just want to work people

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 17:41, steve G1PPA via groups.io <steveturner249=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John
Just bought 13cm but will unfortunately will have to miss this contest, I cannot operate from home on any microwave band, good luck to all taking part
Steve
G1PPA

steve G1PPA

Andy
I tried to support the microwave contest during last lockdown, by putting check log, boy did i get some private messages giving me grief for travelling 10 minutes from home QTH
Steve
G1PPA

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 17:47, Andy G4JNT
<andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
You can operate /P.  You just can't put in an entry.
Depends if you feel competitive, or just want to work people

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 17:41, steve G1PPA via groups.io <steveturner249=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John
Just bought 13cm but will unfortunately will have to miss this contest, I cannot operate from home on any microwave band, good luck to all taking part
Steve
G1PPA

Andy G4JNT

Well, this time Boris isn't even trying to stop you.

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 18:07, steve turner <steveturner249@...> wrote:
Andy
I tried to support the microwave contest during last lockdown, by putting check log, boy did i get some private messages giving me grief for travelling 10 minutes from home QTH
Steve
G1PPA

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 17:47, Andy G4JNT
You can operate /P.  You just can't put in an entry.
Depends if you feel competitive, or just want to work people

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 17:41, steve G1PPA via groups.io <steveturner249=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John
Just bought 13cm but will unfortunately will have to miss this contest, I cannot operate from home on any microwave band, good luck to all taking part
Steve
G1PPA

G0FVI

Some interesting comments on /P operation (and on vhf/uhf contesting FB too). Personally i wont be going out /P, as at both my /P locations there has been interest from police this year (one is near an RAF base close to a dogging site the other in a country lane that appears to have raised suspicions from nearby houses). I'm guessing if you get approached by police during lockdown they are not going to be massively interested in the various interpretations popping up as to /P amateur radio being a legitimate outdoor activity. You might find yourself with a fine and generate some very bad publicity for the hobby. Im one of those with a very poor vhf/uhf/shf location so fall into the 'miffed' category (i've just finished putting my first terrastrial 13cm portable station together too) but won't be going out portable for the reasons given.

Andy

Ed G3VPF

I too will not be participating in this contest. I see no point in warming up the local hillside on transmit from home. I operated /P during the last lockdown, and also got some abuse for doing so. When operating/P I am not in a sealed car. If I was the feeders would be severed and I would not be able to manually turn the aerials.

Ed, G3VPF IO80RQ