SG-Labs,

Colin Ranson

Anyone know if its usual for SG-Labs not to answer a potential sales enquiry within a week ?

I need to place an order.

Best regards

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Eddie G0EHV

Yes, he’s busy 😉

Launched into the ether from my iPad

On 4 Nov 2020, at 15:08, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Anyone know if its usual for SG-Labs not to answer a potential sales enquiry within a week ?

I need to place an order.

Best regards

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

steve G1PPA

I got e mail within a few hours placed order had delivery in 2 weeks

Steve

G1PPA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Anyone know if its usual for SG-Labs not to answer a potential sales enquiry within a week ?

I need to place an order.

Best regards

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

G0DDX

I have bought from him 3 times over the last 2 years. All been good, once he was slow to reply, but is generally reliable. Have at least 5 friends who have bought from  him without any trouble.

Hope all goes well for you.

Regards
Geoff
G0DDX

Sent from my Galaxy

Anyone know if its usual for SG-Labs not to answer a potential sales enquiry within a week ?

I need to place an order.

Best regards

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

eightyelectric

I just took delivery of a 23cm transverter, and had quotes within 24 hours for his 13 and 9 cm units. That was about 2 weeks ago. So seams odd.

Paul G6UAJ

Sent from my Galaxy

Anyone know if its usual for SG-Labs not to answer a potential sales enquiry within a week ?

I need to place an order.

Best regards

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

SAM JEWELL

Under a week for mine. Asked Friday and reply yesterday

Sam

Anyone know if its usual for SG-Labs not to answer a potential sales enquiry within a week ?

I need to place an order.

Best regards

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Colin Ranson

Sam, he must be monitoring this ! got a reply soonest !

Colin.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Under a week for mine. Asked Friday and reply yesterday

Sam

Anyone know if its usual for SG-Labs not to answer a potential sales enquiry within a week ?

I need to place an order.

Best regards

Colin de ‘LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

militaryoperator

The only trouble with SG Lab tranverters is the low rx gain, 10db. The Kuhne ones have 20db.

The SGL amp for 23 and 13 has an LNA but again, only 10db.

I think Mr H really needs to improve that on his next designs.

There's also a problem with timing on the rf v ptt switching, if you run the pa off the ptt there's a double kick in the pa dropping and going back to rx.

I have the 23, 13 and 9 units and they are very good save for the above caveat.

Ben G4BXD

Dominique Dehays

Hi ,

there is another problem , the phase noise is not that good ( synthesizer typical). It is enougth during normal conditions , but during ducts , transmitted phase noise can be a problem even at a 400km distance , we experienced that during a contest last year.

73

Dom

Colin Ranson

Ben,

I have the 23cm and 13cm transverters, I use an ICOM IC-706MK2g as the IF.     I would not want anymore than 10db gain and any more is not nesseccary, (unless you have a very deaf IF RX ?) in fact I have the ‘RX GAIN’ pot in the transverter backed off.  I have mast head pre-amps (in the loft under the mast) the 23cm one has 9db gain and the 13cm one 13db gain.   Absolutely more than enough.

Best regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The only trouble with SG Lab tranverters is the low rx gain, 10db. The Kuhne ones have 20db.

The SGL amp for 23 and 13 has an LNA but again, only 10db.

I think Mr H really needs to improve that on his next designs.

There's also a problem with timing on the rf v ptt switching, if you run the pa off the ptt there's a double kick in the pa dropping and going back to rx.

I have the 23, 13 and 9 units and they are very good save for the above caveat.

Ben G4BXD

ian hope (2E0IJH)

20db gain on 1296mhz is far too much, I concure with Coiin I have the transverter and matching Amp,so that has the built in preamp,using a Ft726 as IF my Rx gain is backed right down.

Ian
M5IJH

The only trouble with SG Lab tranverters is the low rx gain, 10db. The Kuhne ones have 20db.

The SGL amp for 23 and 13 has an LNA but again, only 10db.

I think Mr H really needs to improve that on his next designs.

There's also a problem with timing on the rf v ptt switching, if you run the pa off the ptt there's a double kick in the pa dropping and going back to rx.

I have the 23, 13 and 9 units and they are very good save for the above caveat.

Ben G4BXD

Martin Phillips G4CIO

Yes and no re the preamps.

If you're using the preamp with a low NF transverter or receiver (like the SG labs tvtr) you can get away with quite a lot of cable loss after the preamp. With a mediocre nf receiver you'll still need low loss coax to avoid degrading the nf by much.

10 dB should be enough gain in the SG labs tvrt with its low quoted nf unless the following rx is very poor indeed.

Martin/

On 4/11/20 10:19 PM, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

The only trouble with SG Lab tranverters is the low rx gain, 10db. The Kuhne ones have 20db.

The SGL amp for 23 and 13 has an LNA but again, only 10db.

I think Mr H really needs to improve that on his next designs.

There's also a problem with timing on the rf v ptt switching, if you run the pa off the ptt there's a double kick in the pa dropping and going back to rx.

I have the 23, 13 and 9 units and they are very good save for the above caveat.

Ben G4BXD

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I had to put attenuators between my DDK preamp and the SSB electronics transvertor, as even with the cable loss and the preselector filter, there was still far too much gain.   The excess gain was OK when the band was quiet, but a real problem during a contest.

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 09:34, Martin Phillips G4CIO <martin@...> wrote:
[...]

I was of course thinking about front end gain, before the rx mixer, not in the o/p gain of the trvrt to the transceiver.

Even my poor old FT817's have enough life in them to be usable as an IF.

On 9Cm I have a DDK preamp with 26db of gain followed by about 13db of attenuation going into the SGL trvrt with the SGL rx gain turned down as well.

Anyway, ETTO.

Ben

--------------------------------------
Curator, Owner and Display coordinator
Military Wireless Museum
Kidderminster, UK.

This message was meant for the recipient
Any likeness to persons living or dead is odd
---------------------------------------

[...]

I have previously recommended running either GM3SEK's Tcalc or the old but still very useful Appcad programs to analyse what your system parameters should (could?) be. One word of caution. With AppCad, anyway, cascaded stage intercept numbers do not always stack up due to some cancellations. So I always leave a few dB uncertainty in the calculated dynamic range figure. Noise figures are generally pretty close.

The VLNA preamps are high gain (on70 and 23cm) and moderate on 13 and 9cm. Their output intercept is quite reasonable and may, in many cases, exceed the input intercept of many transverters and rigs such as the IC9700.
Use masthead gain with care. In most cases you do not need to have better than about 1dB noise figure in terrestrial systems, so you may be able to trade off some low noise performance agains loss in a prefilter. Do watch that some preamps have very poor input match and will therefore not terminate filters very well. This can lead to instability in the preamp and even excess loss in the misterminated filter.

73 de Sam, G4DDK

[...]

Ian White

A more modern spreadsheet version of Tcalc is downloadable here:
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/vhfdx/dg8-design-calcs.xls

The pre-loaded example is for 2m, but the same principles apply on microwaves too.

For further details, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book' is now a free download from
http://www.trpub.net/html/dx_book.htm

73 from Ian GM3SEK

------ Original Message ------ From: "Robin Szemeti - G1YFG" <robin@...> To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io Sent: Thursday, 5 Nov, 20 At 11:39 Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] SG-Labs,
[...]

Andy GD1MIP

Colin,  I ordered two of their items in August 2020.  I had to exchange several emails during the whole process, Looking back I found that some emails received a response within an hour whereas some took four days. Allowing for time zone differences and working hours I came to the conclusion that the company is a one man band. Everything arrived within the promised time frame in a tracked parcel. Build quality seems good, the instructions needed reading twice as they were obviously translated into English from Hristiyan's first language with the usual errors.

Andy GD1MIP

Colin Ranson

Hi Andy,

He’s a busy chappie !  I think its a small company and construction of items is subied out, they do non-amateur stuff as well I believe.   I was only getting concerned as all my previous order queries were answered in a very short time.   All’s done now, turn round is 3-4 weeks now due to demand, in fact a local, unbeknown to me, ordered a 3.4GHz unit on or about the same day.

I think he has done more to promote serious 23cm activity, let alone the higher bands, even before the 9700 came along.

Take care, 73’s

Colin G8LBS Ipswich.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10