From: Paul G8KFW
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2020 2:54 PM
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] 7L18?

Hi

This is a subject that has been talked about a lot over the last 2 plus years on the HP Groups

and in general unless it is a switch mode power supply the replacement with a good quality ( not a copy ) non tantalum is considered a good replacement

But Low ESR capacitors  are quit often required for switch mode power used on certain HP equipment   but they are a lot more expensive

Regards Paul

From: Paul G8KFW <paul@...>

Date: 26/06/2020 23:57 (GMT+00:00)

To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io

Hi Ben

The last 7L18 I worked on required replacement of a large number of  Tantalum capacitors

Suggest you get an ESR meter and look at all the caps first don’t unsolder them just do the testing in CCT  and record the results

Then replace the suspect ones

Regards Paul B

--------------------------------------

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Neil Smith G4DBN

I use a Hutale LCR meter from Dr Le Hung. Must put it into a box.  Comes with kelvin clips.  Does all sorts as well as LCR.

Neil G4DBN

http://lcr.is-best.net/en/LCR_eng.pdf

On 27/06/2020 16:40, Michael Scott via groups.io wrote:
Following the recent discussion on low ESR capacitors ( 7L18 ), what is a reliable method of measurement of ESR? Peak do a meter for around £100, but there are several cheaper multimeters which claim to be able to measure ESR.

Has anyone any advice/experience of these devices.

I am asking because the subject has come up recently when I have been asked for capacitors from the Chipbank for Sam’s Iceni and other transverters. Many of the capacitors I have in stock were given to me in plastic pots with no information other than the capacitance value. Sam specifies COG/NPO for most of his designs, and in some cases I have reels where the spec or code is given and I can track back to a datasheet, but for the loose ones it is pot luck what you get!

73,

Mike G3LYP

Michael Scott

Sorry Ben, we have been chastised for going off topic without changing the subject line!!

Mike.

[...]

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

I made one up , from a simple circuit , taken fron google .........

Analogue panel meter ........ works fine .........

get's used about every five years or so , if I can find it !

On 27 June 2020 at 16:40 "Michael Scott via groups.io" <g3lyp@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Bartram G4DGU

FWIW, I use a 'Multifunction Transistor Tester Diodes LCR - TC1 Full Color Graphics Display' bought off Epay for about a tenner. Probably not accurate by lab standards, but a quick shotgun test using a 4.7uF polyester capacitor and a series resistor gave realistic results. It's certainly been good enough to detect a couple of high-ESR aluminium electrolytics in my spec.an.

73

Chris

G4DGU

Michael Scott

Thanks Neill, I assume you have to e-mail him for a price. Roughly how much are they?

Mike

[...]

$55 when I bought mine on 2017, I emailed him.  Carriage was $9 from Hungary.

Main use is setting up inductors on 136/472 and checking esr of large value caps, but on the resistance range it is pretty much in agreement with my Fluke 8845A using a four-wire Kelvin clip arrangement.

Neil G4DBN

On 27/06/2020 18:40, Michael Scott via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Paul G8KFW

Hi regarding ESR meters

I bought a MK-328 TR\LCR\ESR Tester  I do not have any think to compare it with but the measurements so that I have made so far seam to be believable

If I had seen the Peak  one I would probably gone for it as the few Peak instruments that I have used do as stated on the packet

Paul

[...]

Sorry what is the exact problem ?

Have you tested the main frame with scope plug ins ?

Paul

[...]

Hi Neil how much did it cost ?

[...]

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Mark GM4ISM

ESR meters are simple   Nice little project and worth their weight in Tanatlum

 This is the one I built and use extensively

http://ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

Mark GM4ISM

On 27/06/2020 19:44, Paul G8KFW wrote:

[...]

To my bits and peices , I always add a blue flashing Led , to the front panel ..

It has saved me many discharged batteries , seeing the blue Led , as I'm leaving the shack in the dark .

On 27 June 2020 at 20:08 "Mark GM4ISM via groups.io" <gm4ism@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Melia

Hi Mike I have a prototype that Dave Powis built from a URL & circuit I supplied him. It seems to work well though I have yet to find a a high ESR electrolytic. This works at just over 100kHz so I have some doubts it would be any use testing caps for the signal path of Sam's transverters.

Yes there certainly are advatages in using good RF caps......I remember seeing some reports of replacing ''ordinary'' ceramic caps with replacemnts lifted off 3.5GHz sweepings (distressed stock is the usual term I think) boards I was selling a few years back.......a substatial improvement in noise performance.

Maybe others know the answer??

Alan
G3NYK