UKMicrowave group Subscription - Cheque payments

John Worsnop

Due to the current situation I am unable to get to the bank to pay in cheques. So if you've sent me one recently, don't expect it to clear in the foreseeable future.

I will of course advise the membership secretary that the sub  has been paid if you do.

You could really help by not paying your £6 (!!) by cheque,  and using our Paypal facility  (ukug@...) or contact me off reflector for UKuG bank details and doing a direct transfer (UK members only)

On reflection I'm of the view it's time, in the 21st Century, to stop accepting cheque payments altogether.

I plan to raise this with the committee in due course.

This currently is only my personal view as treasurer as I have to get in to my car, drive 5 miles in to Cambridge, park up, and walk for 20 minutes (from the only remaining free parking close to Cambridge Centre) to take them to the bank.

I'd appreciate member's feedback on this proposal

73
John G4BAO
UKuG Treasurer

John Fell

Wot , no bartering facility available !
Yes - move us all into the 21st Cent and only accept direct payment .

John
G0API

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 11:52, John Worsnop <johnworsnop@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Selwood G3YDY

Some banks have arrangement for paying in cheques using scanned copies sent to them. May be worth investigating.

G3YDY

[...]

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Andy G4JNT

My bank (Lloyds) offered this.  I think it required you to use the mobile banking app on your smartphone and control the camera from that.   Being a dedicated app, rather than via WWW, security and authentication can be properly controlled.
No different, really, to their auto paying-in facility at my local branch.

Didn't see a PC version of the cheque paying-in option.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 12:10, Paul Selwood G3YDY via groups.io <g3ydy=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Tompsett

You can deposit cheques for any bank at a post office. The details do vary from bank to bank, you may need to get a (free) stock of special envelopes.

--
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940

Andy G4JNT

But yes, you might as well stop accepting cheques
Llittle reason to use them these days.
Last one I wrote was in 2017 to the bathroom fitter.  He said cash or cheque were both as easy/ same effort required.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 12:15, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan Melia

Hi John I get very few cheques these days for boxes. My solution is that my bank issues envelopes that may be deposited via the local post office. In the current situation a friendly neighbour puts then at the local PO and returns a confirmation slip and fresh envelope to me. I gues you could put them in a postbox but you dont get aa confirmation slip then. When submitted payment appears in my statement aroundtwo days later. I agree Paypal is easier. I fear loss of cash and cheques will destroy Rallies, and such in future.

Thanks for the subs reminder !

Alan
G3NYK

[...]

Paul G8KFW

Hi All

just sent my  £6 by pay pall   (ukug@...)  hopefully received

Silly to send cheques  as the cost of the stamp could be put into club funds

Regards Paul

[...]

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

David Redman

John,

A very sensible proposal, I would tend to go further Paypal only with an absolute worse case UK only exception of bank transfer with your prior agreement.
PayPal make life so much easier these days

Dave
G4IDR

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, 11:52 John Worsnop, <johnworsnop@...> wrote:
[...]

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

The PayPal only idea gets my vote, you can even set it up as a recurring payment through PayPal's subscription service ...

As a side note, regarding the cheques .. many banks now support cheque scanning through an app, you simply photograph the cheque, enter the amount ... wait 5 minutes and you will get a confirmation that you can destroy the original ... saves all that messing around.  I would still support PayPal only though ;)

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 12:54, David Redman <davidredmang4idr@...> wrote:
[...]

Best regards,

Robin Szemeti

Redpoint Consulting Limited

E: robin@...
T: +44 (0) 1299 405028
M: +44 (0) 7971 883371

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient or person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you have received this communication in error
and must not distribute or copy it.
Please accept the sender's apologies, notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail and delete this communication.

Thank you.

Stuart G1ZAR

I will add my agreement that payment by cheque is an unnecessary faff these days.
Paypal or bank transfer would be my preferred methods.
Other organisations I belong to have stopped using cheques due to bank charges. (I believe 20P per cheque deposited).
Is there any financial benefit to the group between Cheque / Paypal / bank transfer?

Stuart
G1ZAR

John Lemay

John

I agree – online payments in one form or another should be used.

However, I do from time to time receive cheques to my business. I have a banking app on my mobile phone and it enables me to pay in cheques by uploading a photo of the front and rear of the cheque. It’s a little tedious but much better than going to a bank and queuing.

Another John ! G4ZTR

[...]

Lawrence GJ3RAX

On 5 Jun 2020, at 10:51, John Worsnop <johnworsnop@gmail.com> wrote:

Due to the current situation I am unable to get to the bank to pay in cheques. So if you've sent me one recently, don't expect it to clear in the foreseeable future.

I'd appreciate member's feedback on this proposal

73
John G4BAO
UKuG Treasurer
I just looked at my PayPal account and I see that I last paid my sub in December last year. I assume that means that I am up to date.

I very rarely write a cheque now as I prefer to use methods such as PayPal or bank transfer online. I have not been past my front gate for nearly 3 months so sending anything by post or visiting a bank is not an option for me at present. I can fully sympathise with John about the problems with paying in cheques to a bank.

At my age I tend to forget when subscriptions are due so my preference would be to pay a suitable amount just once as a Life Membership and never have to worry about it again. That could help to give the group more in the way of immediate funds.

I became a Life Member of the RSGB back in about 1975 and I have done the same with several other organisations that I want to support.

73, Lawrence GJ3RAX

Dave

Hello John,
It is a great idea to stop accepting cheques.
I never take cheques to the bank these days. I post them to the bank with my name and account no / sort code on the back and they always gets paid in.
David G4GLT.

[...]

Julian, G3YGF

I am strongly of the opinion that you should still accept cheques. The Microwave Group is a broad church.
Cheques can still be posted to the bank or paid in at a Post Offices.

Julian, G3YGF

[...]

Doug G4DZU

Hi,

Though I pay my subs via PayPal, I agree about retaining the capability of subs payment via cheques as there are still people who refuse to use that medium for paying anything.

73s
Doug
G4DZU

On 5 Jun 2020, at 14:24, Julian, G3YGF <julian@...> wrote:

[...]

Perhaps a £5 surcharge then for cheque payments to reflect the additional costs and hassle in processing?

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 14:45, Doug G4DZU <dougG4DZU@...> wrote:
[...]

A surcharge of some sort, anyway.
To cover John's petrol and car parking charges

As for pandering to people who merely "refuse to use that medium" that's their problem.
The rest of us all use internet banking now - live with it.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 16:08, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris G0WUS

Hi John and all

I disagree with cheques in this day and age however some may not. I stopped accepting cheques at work many years ago.

I did notice that my wife whos family members still insist on sending our young children cheques for presents (birthdays and xmas) pays hers in via the app on her phone she just has to photo them and they clear much faster.

Not sure if the group bank has that or not but in general if asked I would vote to not accept them but then again i am not armed with the info of how many people still use them to pay subs.

73

Chris G0WUS

On 05/06/2020 12:16, Stephen Tompsett wrote:

[...]

Ron

Hi John,

It is difficult.

I'm membership sec. and a trustee of a small charity. We have had this debate for the past 4 years and, so far, I've been able to keep cheques rolling in. This is only because I'm the one dealing with them.

Progress is great but some of our aged members (aged to me and I'm 65) have only just dispensed with the quill and have not yet met the biro. These members do not have computers - one is proud that he doesn't have a tv - and all communication is longhand on paper. What the charity loses in the postage costs is more than made up by the savings on the PayPal fee.

The only reason I am against my charity ceasing to accept cheques is because it will alienate/disenfranchise those older members. They hold an enormous amount of knowledge in this particular field and sadly they are a reducing number. When the last one - only 4 left - pops her/his clogs2 then we will cease to accept cheques if the banks don't beat us to it.

I'm fortunate that while my nearest bank is a 5 minute drive away, the local post office is 200 yards.

Personally I write one cheque a year for my trout fishing subs and that cheque book is 11 years old.

Whichever way you go, good luck.

Ron, G6BMY