Topics

GB3FNY on 3cm?

Graham - G3YJR

I'm hoping my receiver hasn't packed up just before the SHF UKAC.

Can anyone else hear GB3FNY on 3cm?

BTW I hope to be activating 13cm & 3cm this evening.

Graham

Neil Smith G4DBN

Nothing here from FNY either.  My dish is very low so can't offer a test right now, but can put it up a bit and give you a test if you like in 10 mins or so.  I'll get on KST.

Neil G4DBN

On 24/03/2020 17:51, Graham - G3YJR wrote:
I'm hoping my receiver hasn't packed up just before the SHF UKAC.

Can anyone else hear GB3FNY on 3cm?

BTW I hope to be activating 13cm & 3cm this evening.

Graham
_

Graham - G3YJR

Tnx for the info re power cut at Finningley.

73 Graham

Neil Smith G4DBN

Kevin says Northern Powergrid now say after 8pm, things must be worse than they thought

Neil

--
Neil
http://g4dbn.uk

David Redman

Graham
I think it is off also on 70cms so could be a site problem

Dave
G4IDR

On 24/03/2020 18:30, David Redman wrote:
Graham
I think it is off also on 70cms so could be a site problem

Dave
G4IDR

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020, 17:51 Graham - G3YJR, <g3yjr@...> wrote:
I'm hoping my receiver hasn't packed up just before the SHF UKAC.

Can anyone else hear GB3FNY on 3cm?

BTW I hope to be activating 13cm & 3cm this evening.

Graham
--
Neil
http://g4dbn.uk

G3UVR Denis IO83KH

Just had a listen today. 25/03/2020. 70cm is on normal strength.

Cant hear 3cm but it can be exceptionally weak on warm dry days. Will try 3cm again tonight.

73 de Denis G3UVR

Neil Smith G4DBN

It has settled on 10368752.153 kHz, strength is normal (ish).  Hard to tell as it is so loud and so chopped about by the windfarms. Working at "work" work today so can't do any tx tests until this evening.

This is pointing the dish into a dense bush with the dish right down. Still dopplerised, like many of the weak sigs last night.

Extremely slow CW worked well. Tempted to suggest QRSS3 for the next contest if the signals are really weak, or even DFCW. Easier to "see" the traces than hear them, and with long integration times, the scintillation and chopping is smoothed out a bit. Does time-locked QRSS or DFCW count as "CW" for the permitted modes?

Has anyone tried ISCAT on 10GHz? I had a very good reflection from Martyn G3UKV when his tropo was inaudible.  Of course, there was no QSO detail in that transmission, Sod's Law.

I saw some VERY strong aircraft reflections from Peter G3PHO while he was beaming away from me, and the doppler shift was much wider and faster-changing than the usual mid-path oblique reflection. I guess that was from a plane coming towards Peter from the south on the same heading as to me.  I didn't see the plane on Airscout as it doesn't identify planes beyond the target. Might be an option for those who are on impossible paths, such as me trying to work to the south through my tree belt. Perhaps if I beam north with a bit of elevation and find a suitable plane or three, QSOs might be feasible.

Neil G4DBN

On 25/03/2020 15:12, G3UVR Denis via Groups.Io wrote:
Just had a listen today. 25/03/2020. 70cm is on normal strength.

Cant hear 3cm but it can be exceptionally weak on warm dry days. Will try 3cm again tonight.

73 de Denis G3UVR

G3UVR Denis IO83KH

Checking GB3FNY again just now it is normal strength S1 bobbing just above the noise. Just strong enough to be able to copy its CW  on a speaker. I use FNY and LEX to calibrate any error in my unlocked 3cm LO.

73 de Denis G3UVR