Mystery antennas

Chris G8BKE

These antennas have appeared on our public toilets near the home QTH. Anyone any ideas on what they are for?  The "dish" antenna looks too small to be of any use and it doesn't seem to point to anywhere significant.  I thought maybe a microcell for cellphones but I'm told they don't use stand off brackets like that.

That looks like a VHF colinear up top.  Does it  overlook the sea from high up?
Your first picture sort of suggests it might, can vaguely see a bit of distant horizon -  the IOW or Purbecks ?

If so, remote monitoring of marine VHF traffic perhaps ?

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 17:00, Chris G8BKE via Groups.Io <eightgoes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
These antennas have appeared on our public toilets near the home QTH. Anyone any ideas on what they are for?  The "dish" antenna looks too small to be of any use and it doesn't seem to point to anywhere significant.  I thought maybe a microcell for cellphones but I'm told they don't use stand off brackets like that.

73

John Fell

5.6GHZ WiFi link on dish and local 2.4GHZ WiFi on the colinear at top possibly ?

73
John
G0API

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 17:00, Chris G8BKE via Groups.Io <eightgoes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
These antennas have appeared on our public toilets near the home QTH. Anyone any ideas on what they are for?  The "dish" antenna looks too small to be of any use and it doesn't seem to point to anywhere significant.  I thought maybe a microcell for cellphones but I'm told they don't use stand off brackets like that.

73

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Oh dear that's going to upset a lot of people seeing the K bracket above the T bracket : (
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m/4m/2m/70cm/23cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

John Fell

Ah yes - I missed that gross error !
73
John

On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 18:09, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via Groups.Io <humber1ton=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Oh dear that's going to upset a lot of people seeing the K bracket above the T bracket : (
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m/4m/2m/70cm/23cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Reg Woolley

Yep put up  by a muppet! If I had done that in my rigging days, I would have been sent back to sort it.

Reg g8vhi

Sent from Samsung tablet.

Oh dear that's going to upset a lot of people seeing the K bracket above the T bracket : (
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m/4m/2m/70cm/23cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

Big brother .............. ius monitoring your every word ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On 03 March 2020 at 17:00 "Chris G8BKE via Groups.Io" <eightgoes@...> wrote:

These antennas have appeared on our public toilets near the home QTH. Anyone any ideas on what they are for?  The "dish" antenna looks too small to be of any use and it doesn't seem to point to anywhere significant.  I thought maybe a microcell for cellphones but I'm told they don't use stand off brackets like that.

Yawn....

Chris, go and take another look at the top one.  See if you can work out if it is VHF or some other type

On 03 March 2020 at 17:00 "Chris G8BKE via Groups.Io" <eightgoes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

These antennas have appeared on our public toilets near the home QTH. Anyone any ideas on what they are for?  The "dish" antenna looks too small to be of any use and it doesn't seem to point to anywhere significant.  I thought maybe a microcell for cellphones but I'm told they don't use stand off brackets like that.

73

Chris G8BKE

That sounds a distinct possibility as the top antenna looks like a standard white stick fibre glass VHF antenna and it easily "sees" the Christchurch Bay area. But where is the microwave link far end?

Maybe,  if on the grounds of H&S I point out to the Council that the  K & T brackets are not installed correctly,  I will see the "owners" return to rectify them and I can ask what the function of the mast is ;-))

What's the rough bearing of the small dish?
I tried to get an idea by looking at the OS map of the area, but without knowing the exact spot on the headland ...

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 12:46, Chris G8BKE via Groups.Io <eightgoes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
That sounds a distinct possibility as the top antenna looks like a standard white stick fibre glass VHF antenna and it easily "sees" the Christchurch Bay area. But where is the microwave link far end?

Maybe,  if on the grounds of H&S I point out to the Council that the  K & T brackets are not installed correctly,  I will see the "owners" return to rectify them and I can ask what the function of the mast is ;-))

Unless I've got my interpretation of it's location on the cliff at Barton totally wrong, the dish would appear to  be pointing in the Lymington direction, some 10km away.
Quick check with 'MJW Profile and it's LOS provided the other end it on a building roof

I'm sure there are plenty of potential users in that maritime part of the World.

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 12:52, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
What's the rough bearing of the small dish?
I tried to get an idea by looking at the OS map of the area, but without knowing the exact spot on the headland ...

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 12:46, Chris G8BKE via Groups.Io <eightgoes=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
That sounds a distinct possibility as the top antenna looks like a standard white stick fibre glass VHF antenna and it easily "sees" the Christchurch Bay area. But where is the microwave link far end?

Maybe,  if on the grounds of H&S I point out to the Council that the  K & T brackets are not installed correctly,  I will see the "owners" return to rectify them and I can ask what the function of the mast is ;-))

Glyn M0XGT

Andy, likely goelocation: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.7363386,-1.6635118,50m/data=!3m1!1e3
with small dish pointing roughly north.
Glyn

Chris G8BKE

I would say in fact antenna is pointing 40deg east of north but thats very roughly.

When its a drier day I may take a compass and stand under it and get a more accurate reading.

73

Chris G8BKE

Yes Andy,  i was getting round to thinking that Lymington was a possibility since you mentioned the possible maritime connection.

Maybe a sortie to Lymington one day is in order. ;-)

73