6Cms, a start.

militaryoperator

Just received my first 6Cms signals, OHM in Birmingham.

Onwards and upwards.

Ben G4BXD

Chris G0WUS

what did you use in the end ben?

On 13/05/2021 13:51, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
Just received my first 6Cms signals, OHM in Birmingham.

Onwards and upwards.

Ben G4BXD

militaryoperator

what did you use in the end ben?

Two cascaded 6Ghz 13db or so amplifiers, into dbl bal mixer with the ADF board at 4Ghz into the RSP2 at 1760.9Mhz.

Just with pcb LPA as an antenna so with my 60cm dish should be another 20 odd db rf gain. Too many boxes and connections though, need SGLabs to start knocking out 6Cm units, hi.

Ben.

Chris G0WUS

Will the mixer not do down to 432?

Chris WUS

On 13/05/2021 14:09, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
what did you use in the end ben?

Two cascaded 6Ghz 13db or so amplifiers, into dbl bal mixer with the ADF board at 4Ghz into the RSP2 at 1760.9Mhz.

Just with pcb LPA as an antenna so with my 60cm dish should be another 20 odd db rf gain. Too many boxes and connections though, need SGLabs to start knocking out 6Cm units, hi.

Ben.

militaryoperator

Will the mixer not do down to 432?
Chris WUS

Dbl Bal mixer is marked 2.5 to 10Ghz but the ADF board does not go high enough, only about 4.8Ghz, need 5.328Ghz to get to 70Cms.

So, that entails, later, in making an osc/multiplyer with pipe cap filters etc etc etc.

Ben.

Chris G0WUS

Ah think penny dropped does LO go high enough??

Chris WUS

On 13/05/2021 14:14, Chris G0WUS wrote:

Will the mixer not do down to 432?

Chris WUS

On 13/05/2021 14:09, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
what did you use in the end ben?

Two cascaded 6Ghz 13db or so amplifiers, into dbl bal mixer with the ADF board at 4Ghz into the RSP2 at 1760.9Mhz.

Just with pcb LPA as an antenna so with my 60cm dish should be another 20 odd db rf gain. Too many boxes and connections though, need SGLabs to start knocking out 6Cm units, hi.

Ben.

Chris G0WUS

ADF4355 will do high enough but then it jumps up in cost

Chris WUS

On 13/05/2021 14:21, Chris G0WUS wrote:

Ah think penny dropped does LO go high enough??

Chris WUS

On 13/05/2021 14:14, Chris G0WUS wrote:

Will the mixer not do down to 432?

Chris WUS

On 13/05/2021 14:09, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
what did you use in the end ben?

Two cascaded 6Ghz 13db or so amplifiers, into dbl bal mixer with the ADF board at 4Ghz into the RSP2 at 1760.9Mhz.

Just with pcb LPA as an antenna so with my 60cm dish should be another 20 odd db rf gain. Too many boxes and connections though, need SGLabs to start knocking out 6Cm units, hi.

Ben.

Alan Melia

Hi Ben well done, you may remember I warned that this microwave stuff was highly addictive, It seems you are well and truely hooked now. Still nothing that refurbishing an AR88 won't cure :-))

Best Wishes
Alan
G3NYK

Just received my first 6Cms signals, OHM in Birmingham.

Onwards and upwards.

Ben G4BXD

Garyov

What antennas are people using on 6cm please?

I'm looking to try an fm system in the near future.

Gary G4BJD

militaryoperator

Hi Ben well done, you may remember I warned that this microwave stuff was highly addictive, It seems you are well and truely hooked now. Still nothing that refurbishing an AR88 won't cure :-))

Best Wishes
Alan
G3NYK

I know, I have been very remiss in my restoration duties. The sets are piling awaiting being seen to.

Just not enough hours in the day for busy microwavers, hi.

cheers, Ben.

Neil Smith G4DBN

There's an excellent article in Practical Wireless this month about getting started in experimenting with microwave antennas.

It is just possible that we might know the author.....

Nice work Ben.

Neil G4DBN

militaryoperator

There's an excellent article in Practical Wireless this month about
getting started in experimenting with microwave antennas.

It is just possible that we might know the author.....

Nice work Ben.

Neil G4DBN

Thanks Neil, appreciated.

Ben.

Garyov

Who am I?

Been a member of this group for some time, I read most of the posts.

Been licenced since 1972, originally 160 to 2 meters pre WARC bands.

Had a while out of ham radio but worked in commercial comms for over 30 years. Commercial
2ghz, tropo systems, los microwave systems,  and latterly, satellite systems at both 6/4 gig and 14 gig.

Been an engineer of shf systems, also system integration, operational systems and latterly site manager.

Lost the xyl, in 2019, so started amateur radio again from scratch. Thus far my highest band is 23 cm.

I am interested in trying 6cm, hence my question about 6cm antennas.
Just looking for some general pointers on what you guys use.

I have a radio background, what I currently lack is amateur SHF  experience.

Thanks Conrad  PA5Y my first contact with you on 2 meters last week in UKAC.

GARY G4BJD/(5B4AOZ)

Steve G4HTZ

Hi Gary
there’s some good information re 6cms systems on BATC WIKI page …some information on using the atv modules on FM voice …section 9 on this page

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/5.6_GHz

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Garyov

Thanks Steve, thats the system I'm trying wb fm, I've ordered it,  I have the correct tx rx modules as recommended by my club HARS.

Plus some audio and switching components.

I wanted a TP link flat plate but can't find stock. Currently waiting for a lower gain flat plate from China  12 dbi gain. I'm not certain it will work.   No one else in the club uses it.

Hence my question.

Thank you for replying.

I know it can be hard to be a newbie in groups. Hence my who am I post, just so people understand where I'm  coming from. Will have a look at that link to see what is on there.

6m tonight so better get ready to go portable.

QTH Hereford/ (Paphos)
73s Gary

On 13 May 2021 16:23, "Steve G4HTZ via groups.io" <essexsteve@...> wrote:
Hi Gary
there’s some good information re 6cms systems on BATC WIKI page …some information on using the atv modules on FM voice …section 9 on this page

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/5.6_GHz

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Nigel G8IFN

Gary
How about this 5.8GHz flat plate antenna available on eBay from a UK seller.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antenna-Panel-5Ghz-5-8Ghz-24dBi-HV-WIFI-Wireless-Signal-Booster-N-female-/281518875347?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I have two that I bought a while back when I had a play with the fpv video transmitters.
They appear to be well made.
--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

Nigel G8IFN

This is a link to a website detailing the construction of a 6cm portable atv station. The author uses both the TP link flat plate antenna and the Gibeon one in the above eBay link.
http://5-6ghz-atv.co.uk/antenna.php
--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

Julian G1EKW

Ben, I believe the ADF4351 harmonics are high enough level to run it at 2.664GHz and mix with the 2nd harmonic to get 70cms.

Andy G4JNT

If you're hitting a DBM, then use odd harmonics.   They reject even harmonics very well, but work quite well at odd harmonics of teh LO

Expect about 19dB conversion loss in a diode ring mixer at LO/3.   But at LO/2 it will me more like 70dB

On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 10:11, Julian G1EKW <julian@...> wrote:
Ben, I believe the ADF4351 harmonics are high enough level to run it at 2.664GHz and mix with the 2nd harmonic to get 70cms.

Paul Entwistle

Congratulations on the reception of your first 6cm signal Ben

I just love the simple, obvious and certainly functional technology  -  we should see more of it!!

Best Regards

Paul G8AFC