6cm tests

militaryoperator

Well, that was a waste of several hours of my life.

Tried using one of the SPF5189  devices into first a ADL5350 mixer and then a Anaren dbl bal mixer 2.5 to 10Ghz, using the ADF osc as the lo. I can see 5.760 from the sig gen on the SDRConsole with RSP2 but could not see OHM in B'ham but I was only using an LPA on its own.

I see ebay has some similar boards marked as upto 6ghz but does not state device, probably the same as above with a different printed cover! At £6.68 guess a punt will not kill me.

Whilst all the stuff was out re-tried these supposed 1W amps for 2.4, RF2126 devices, what a croc. Best was 150mw o/p at 2.4 which rose to 300mw at 2.3, obviously, the matching etc is not right I guess. Pity, its a nice pcb but I guess I win a nice heatsink though.

So, back to the drawing board.

Ben.

G0FCU

I had a similar experience yesterday on 13cm, LO ADF4351, mixer ADL5350, LNA SPF5189, bi-quad antenna, Sky 60cm dish. I could barely make out GB3FNM at 25km.

As this is my first attempt at microwave frequencies I don't really know what to expect. The path to FNM was nearly line of sight but not quite.

Still it's a start.

Simon
G0FCU.

On Sat, 8 May 2021, 10:19 militaryoperator via groups.io, <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well, that was a waste of several hours of my life.

Tried using one of the SPF5189  devices into first a ADL5350 mixer and then a Anaren dbl bal mixer 2.5 to 10Ghz, using the ADF osc as the lo. I can see 5.760 from the sig gen on the SDRConsole with RSP2 but could not see OHM in B'ham but I was only using an LPA on its own.

I see ebay has some similar boards marked as upto 6ghz but does not state device, probably the same as above with a different printed cover! At £6.68 guess a punt will not kill me.

Whilst all the stuff was out re-tried these supposed 1W amps for 2.4, RF2126 devices, what a croc. Best was 150mw o/p at 2.4 which rose to 300mw at 2.3, obviously, the matching etc is not right I guess. Pity, its a nice pcb but I guess I win a nice heatsink though.

So, back to the drawing board.

Ben.

Andy G4JNT

Take a look at the datasheet for the SPF5189.   You'll see that although it is "specified" for use up to 4GHz, none of the RF specs that are listed of graphed are specified above 2.2GHz

The only indication of activity above 2.2GHz is seen in the " GMAX versus Frequency" curve on page 7 which suggests gain has dropped to ~ 8.5dB at 3.4GHz

Note also how in  " Typical RF Performance " on Page 2 of the DS, how the noise figure jumps from 0.91 at 2.1GHz to 0.98 at 2.2GHz

That may be a clue to why you are seeing poor performance; the NF may well be terrible at 3.4GHz and there's not much gain to overcome mixer loss

On Sat, 8 May 2021 at 12:24, G0FCU <simon@...> wrote:
[...]

oh yes Simon, but as many will say, its the fun of it !!!!!

I thought I';d better see if those SPF boards do work somewhere, on 2mtrs its 23db gain so I guess I'll not be throwing them away yet. Guess 6Ghz was asking a lot!

Tried some Avantek modules, marked 2.7 to 3.3Ghz 12v and they are good, 23db at 2.4 with 200mw o/p at 0dbm in. I must try and find a use for them.

Ben. G4BXD

Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] 6cm tests

[...]

Chris G0WUS

try ERA-1 maybe

Chris

On 08/05/2021 12:42, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
[...]

only about 8db gain at 6Ghz, so maybe two in series?

Ben

Chris G0WUS

yes or even 3 pipe cap filter between em.

Google W1GHZ 6cm transverter

Chris G0WUS

On 08/05/2021 14:15, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

try ERA-1 maybe
Chris

only about 8db gain at 6Ghz, so maybe two in series?

Ben

Neil Smith G4DBN

NLB-310 or NLB-400 have more gain, but still not a good noise figure (around 5dB).

https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/412/lb_300_data_sheet-1504712.pdf

https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/412/lb_400_data_sheet-1506836.pdf

Neil G4DBN

On 08/05/2021 14:49, Chris G0WUS wrote:

yes or even 3 pipe cap filter between em.

Google W1GHZ 6cm transverter

Chris G0WUS

On 08/05/2021 14:15, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

try ERA-1 maybe
Chris

only about 8db gain at 6Ghz, so maybe two in series?

Ben
_._,_._,_

geoffrey pike

Whilst one may be lead to believe everything in the RF world is 50 ohms it often is not the case, With this in mind
i would suggest that when you take a modularised approached to making a front end that you don't connect up with random sma coax patch leads. Perhaps you haven't but i would strongly recommend just using sma barrel adaptors to connect things together.
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Saturday, 8 May 2021, 15:17:21 BST, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks  Geoff. Yes, I sat here one day and with a 10ghz tx and my power meter, first direct on tx then various sma leads I found quite a drop in power on some, as you say, not everything is equal.

Yes, barrel used and as short as poss if lead needed.

cheers, Ben G4BXD

Gareth G4XAT

Why not replace the SPF5189 with one of these, which does seem to be spec-ed for 6GHz..https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/472/SKY65017_70LF_200528I-1524673.pdf

Should be a straight swap??

Gareth

militaryoperator

Why not replace the SPF5189 with one of these, which does seem to be spec-ed for 6GHz..https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/472/SKY65017_70LF_200528I-1524673.pdf
Should be a straight swap??
Gareth

_._,_._,_
£2.29 Sounds ok for the device, £80 for the board seems high!!

Might be worth a mess?

Ben

Andy G4JNT

£80 for the PCB sounds reasonable - when it's not a Chinese rip-off

*PAYING* £80 for the board does not.
A scalpel and soldering iron can give you a quite usable PCB

On Mon, 10 May 2021 at 14:24, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Why not replace the SPF5189 with one of these, which does seem to be spec-ed for 6GHz..https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/472/SKY65017_70LF_200528I-1524673.pdf
Should be a straight swap??
Gareth

Gareth G4XAT

873-SKY65017-70LF £2.29 + VAT at Mouser UK.

Steve G4HTZ

Here’s a cheap pre amp design using a Franco board
scroll down to pre amp

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/5.6_GHz#Receive_Pre-amplifiers

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

militaryoperator

Why not replace the SPF5189 with one of these, which does seem to be spec-ed for 6GHz..https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/472/SKY65017_70LF_200528I-1524673.pdf
Should be a straight swap??
Gareth

Looking closer at specs, they seem biased towards 2Ghz. 6Ghz seems to be real limit so 5.7Ghz looks poor.

Guess one needs devices speced to 10Ghz then it should be fine at 6.

Ben.

KENT BRITAIN

On this side of the pond Mouser is showing 20 week lead time.

Sure seems to have the same specs as the Mini-Circuits GVA-83.

MiniCircuits doesn't have a simiconductor foundry, so a good chance both houses are using the same die and just using their own part numbers.     Sam, G4DDK and I both have boards for these parts.  Same boards as the PGA-103's.  And we are more than 10 dB cheaper!! hihi

On Monday, May 10, 2021, 08:42:52 AM CDT, Gareth G4XAT via groups.io <g4xat@...> wrote:

873-SKY65017-70LF £2.29 + VAT at Mouser UK.

militaryoperator

Well, outdoor aerials do work better, hi.

Best with indoor:

6cm-ant.jpg

With panel ant outdoors on pole and with new super LO: OHM beacon down to 70Cms

panel-osc.JPG

oddly though, can't hear Telford. Is it off?

Ben G4BXD

John Fell

Not hearing GB3ZME down here today .Perhaps wandering in the heat ....
GB3OHM about 52 ave close to 5760.900MHz .

RX only on 6cm .

73
John
G0API
IO80XS77JR

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 at 13:20, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well, outdoor aerials do work better, hi.

Best with indoor:

6cm-ant.jpg

With panel ant outdoors on pole and with new super LO: OHM beacon down to 70Cms

panel-osc.JPG

oddly though, can't hear Telford. Is it off?

Ben G4BXD

militaryoperator

Edited

Must be off. I saw it on the internal antenna as you can see in pic but not there today.

Cheers, Ben.