6cm PA

Chris G0WUS

Hi all, Just after some ideas for 6cm PA greater than 10W would be nice but need lightness and compactness to mast mount. Several years back there were a plenty full supply of USA ex C band kit but does not seem like much about at present. Any ideas welcomed (well sensible ones HI)

Cheers Chris G0WUS

DAVID G4ASR

Hi Chris  ... I'm working on this!
20-years ago I liberated a small quantity of C-band SSPA's, circa 10W.  Some went into Eu and a few to G-ops.
At the time I wasn't interested in getting active on 6cm. I am now so will be finding out soon if anything can be 'liberated'.

I do have 3 x monstrously heavy C-band shelf units in an outbuilding here.
Solid-state with a good 100W output, essentially 2 x 50W pa's (on one board) with waveguide combining.
Built in PSU 12V @ 175 Amps!  Two-man lift.

Co-incidentally, two weeks ago I was given 2 x 1M dishes with integral feed, 5.1 - 5.8GHz, 34dBi.
https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/rocketdish/RocketDish_RD-5G34_QSG.pdf
Bit heavy, but going to see if I can put one on my RAV4-portable thing as well as 13cm+Yagi and 3cm+Dish.

Who Dares Wins as they say here!
73, David G4ASR

Neil Smith G4DBN

My order for CGHV59070F GaN HEMTs from Digikey is under review, not sure if it is going to be permitted under EAR.  Mouser refuse to sell them to me at all, but the 15W (CGH55015F2) and 30 W (CGH55030F2) HEMTs are available from DK for around £60 and £100 respectively.  That is about the same price as potentially dodgy and second-hand gasfets from Chinese surplus dealers. Might be worth a look at getting some boards made.

For my 12W PA, I used a gasfet and a hacked-up DB6NT board. These devices are unmatched, so need a bit more design effort than the MMICs.

No time to mess with 6cm PAs anyway, still catching up with orders. I am knee-deep in 3cm transverter kits and bits for 2.4 GHz and 3.4 GHz 25 W PAs and still have some Wavelab accessory boards to ship. Real Life is intruding badly into radio at the moment.  Still, I'm on page 25 of the build documentation for the transverters.  Nearly there!

Neil G4DBN

On 26/05/2021 12:32, Chris G0WUS wrote:
Hi all, Just after some ideas for 6cm PA greater than 10W would be nice but need lightness and compactness to mast mount. Several years back there were a plenty full supply of USA ex C band kit but does not seem like much about at present. Any ideas welcomed (well sensible ones HI)

Cheers Chris G0WUS

Chris G0WUS

Sounds like you could build a cracking eme setup David with those PA's but a bit heavy to be mounted at the mast head for sure.

watch you dont roll the RAV4 over in the winds HI

73 Chris G0WUS

On 27/05/2021 19:39, DAVID G4ASR via groups.io wrote:
Hi Chris  ... I'm working on this!
20-years ago I liberated a small quantity of C-band SSPA's, circa 10W.  Some went into Eu and a few to G-ops.
At the time I wasn't interested in getting active on 6cm. I am now so will be finding out soon if anything can be 'liberated'.

I do have 3 x monstrously heavy C-band shelf units in an outbuilding here.
Solid-state with a good 100W output, essentially 2 x 50W pa's (on one board) with waveguide combining.
Built in PSU 12V @ 175 Amps!  Two-man lift.

Co-incidentally, two weeks ago I was given 2 x 1M dishes with integral feed, 5.1 - 5.8GHz, 34dBi.
https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/rocketdish/RocketDish_RD-5G34_QSG.pdf
Bit heavy, but going to see if I can put one on my RAV4-portable thing as well as 13cm+Yagi and 3cm+Dish.

Who Dares Wins as they say here!
73, David G4ASR

Chris G0WUS

Yes Neil the Gan HEMTs would be good as the pallet would be smaller for sure, but sounds like you have as many unfinished projects on the go as I do!!

Real life gets in the way all the time.

73 Chris G0WUS

On 27/05/2021 20:57, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
[...]

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

The FCC has been messing massively with 5GHz recently, which includes amateurs, commercial and 'Native' [red indian, am I supposed to say that????] allocations. There's a chance that there will be much stuff for sale in the USA, which might be like the availability before. Keep searching!

--
73, Paul Evans G4BKI [VP9KF]