From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944@...>
Date: 02/02/2021 10:19 pm (GMT+00:00)
To: ukmicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] 6Cm?

Having succeeded in getting operational on 23, 13, 9 and 3Cm in the past 12 months that leaves 6Cm to sort out.

With the Kuhne transverter being 600 Euro (£530 today) I was wondering if there were any other roads one could go down before I spend the kid's inheritance (Only joking, no kids).

Any other transverter makers out there? or such.

Ben

Lou Blasco

I agree,

It's a great project and certainly doesn't put a hole in your budget. Paul is good at responding to questions and shipping. One bit of advice, he also sells matching mixers that can easily be soldered on to the board by a 50+ y.o with failing eyesight and a normal soldering iron.

Regards

Lou (who can handle SMDs but still likes the old ways)
VK3ALB

On 3/02/2021 10:08 AM, Chris G0WUS wrote:
If you fancy a build try the w1ghz uses pipe cap filters so fairly easy and not many components.

I can always run tests with you Ben we should have a fairly good path when conditions ok

73 chris G0WUS

Sent from my Galaxy

Having succeeded in getting operational on 23, 13, 9 and 3Cm in the past 12 months that leaves 6Cm to sort out.

With the Kuhne transverter being 600 Euro (£530 today) I was wondering if there were any other roads one could go down before I spend the kid's inheritance (Only joking, no kids).

Any other transverter makers out there? or such.

Ben

militaryoperator

Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] 6Cm?
If you fancy a build try the w1ghz uses pipe cap filters so fairly easy and not many components.
I can always run tests with you Ben we should have a fairly good path when conditions ok
73 chris G0WUS

Hi Chris. Yes, I have read the W1GHZ bit about his trvrt, and I did buy some copper endcaps to try and make some filters for a laugh, just not got around to it yet.

So far all the bands have been plug and play with a few bits of string between them, nothing that a basic foundation holder couldn't do, hi. SGL for 23, 13, 9 and a Kuhne on 3.

I have bought the BATC 23Cm amp pcb and all the bits, another thing sitting on the self.  I even bought a hot plate to have a go at flow soldering, did try it on a test pcb with a few smd bits, works great so at least I have that tool in the box should I need it.

I'll keep thinking on the issue so see you on the other bands till then Chris, hi.

Ben G4BXD

John Fell

Hi Ben,
There was an article in Radcom Microwave column a couple of years back showing how to modify a Franko Sat LNB board to produce a low noise front end for 5.7GHz .
I have one and it has around 1.5dB noise figure and 15dB gain  , which would be a good start towards a TVTR.Followed by an ERA gaas Mod amp .

Evanescent filters are easy to make and will give you bandpass after the front end stage .

Build/buy a synth board to provide a lockable LO for TX/RX and bosh some i.f. passband filtering together .
  Add a couple of mixer stages and some control system/sequencing and you are there .

The Birmingham lads (G8OHM)  have/had  PA modules at modest second hand prices for 8W output  .

I would start with the RX and use the Beacons available locally to you (GB3OHM on .900 and GB3ZME on .910 +/-a few kHz ) .

Have added a 5.7GHz VE4MA to my 60cm 10GHz offset dish ,off boresight in the horizontal - seems to have little influence to the 10GHz LNB and just needs you to offset on your rotator readout .

Hope to use my Kune TVTR on EME next , after 24GHz tests .

Gud Luck.

73
John
G0API

It's just stopped raining !

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 10:15, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Chris G0WUS

There is a ceragon module that easily slides down to 6cm wonder if anyone has one kicking about that was an easy mod if I remember think just a mixer and and LO required produces a few watts I think

Chris

On 03/02/2021 11:45, John Fell wrote:
[...]

Roger Ray

The 5.76 Ceragon module mods were in Scatterpoint and on my web page www.rfdesign.co.uk/microwave
I may still have a module around somewhere...
Roger
G8CUB

On 3 Feb 2021, at 12:13, Chris G0WUS <sales@...> wrote:

[...]

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

That Cergaon unit looks interesting ... I have a "small" PA coming from the USA, it would work perfectly with that!

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 12:28, Roger Ray via groups.io <g8cub=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

There you go Ben look it up from what I remember very easy mod and works well

Cheers Roger for the heads up

73 Chris

G0WUS

On 03/02/2021 12:27, Roger Ray via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Can anyone shine any light on the OHM 8w PA's???

Chris G0WUS

On 03/02/2021 12:40, Chris G0WUS wrote:

[...]

GigaWave PA module 5482-5805 .
0.3mW drive for 7.4W output .
Article by G4JNT for PSU etc in Scatterpoint .

73
John
G0API

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 12:41, Chris G0WUS <sales@...> wrote:

[...]

It all sounds so easy when you put it that way John !!!!!!

Ben

Mike Willis

Buy an Adalm-Pluto? Then a PA and a Preamp. Make a filter. Langstone software on a PI if you want to use without a laptop or PC. Well under €600 and would give you a driver covering 6m to 6cm capable of all modes up to around a MHz bandwidth.
--
Mike G0MJW

John Fell

Relatively Ben !
Back in 1992 era it took me hours to make up my first 10GHz narrowband system and that was using Charlie's kits .
The SDR route has a lot going for it in the back end but you will still need the front end and PA systems .
Look forward to hearing from you on 6cm .

73
John
G0API

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 12:59, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Build/buy a synth board to provide a lockable LO for TX/RX and bosh some i.f. passband filtering together .
  Add a couple of mixer stages and some control system/sequencing and you are there .

73
John
G0API

It all sounds so easy when you put it that way John !!!!!!

Ben

Colin Ranson

Further to the 5.7GHz posting I bought, from the South Birmingham lads, a pair of transmit/receive boards for 5.7GHz. This was several years ago, I have done nothing with them as yet.  The printed line filters on both boards say 5.4 – 4.9GHz, with extensive use of gasfets. The TX one uses an M76 DBM and the RX a single diode.

Anyone any experience of them ?

They look very useful,  as soon as I can get a LO running I can at least give the RX one a try, GB3MHZ is only a few Km away.

I have some photo’s, if anyone wants a look see I can e-mail them to you, save bandwidth on here.

73’s  Colin de G8LBS – suffering ‘man-flu’ from the Covid jab (OAZ) yesterday.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

David Robinson

Yes .
I have a pair running, one on narrowband one on 6cm FPV. The G4JNT article provided all I needed to know

Dave
G4FRE

Neil Smith G4DBN

I hesitate to say this, but there is an F6BVA transverter board for 6cm

<tin hat on>

Neil G4DBN

John Fell

Retreat into your shell(fish) ?