.pdf Problem

Michael Scott

Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and doesn’t open the file, and I have to try again and it always works at the second attempt. I had a look on Google but the usual solution suggested was to uninstall Adobe Reader and reload it. This seemed to work for a while, but in a short time the problem reappeared. This seems to be a problem with W10 as I never had it with XP which I used until I got a new computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Andy G4JNT

Web browsers open .PDFs as well.
I use Google Chrome here and sometimes think it is a better tool than PDF reader.

Right click on the .PDF file  and see what you are offered under "Open With"

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 19:19, Michael Scott via Groups.Io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and doesn’t open the file, and I have to try again and it always works at the second attempt. I had a look on Google but the usual solution suggested was to uninstall Adobe Reader and reload it. This seemed to work for a while, but in a short time the problem reappeared. This seems to be a problem with W10 as I never had it with XP which I used until I got a new computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Martin Phillips G4CIO

I've had the same problem sometimes. Download the file and it opens with Adobe reader but it won't via the browser (Firefox).

Martin/

On 22 January 2020 20:19:17 CET, "Michael Scott via Groups.Io" <g3lyp@...> wrote:
Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and doesn’t open the file, and I have to try again and it always works at the second attempt. I had a look on Google but the usual solution suggested was to uninstall Adobe Reader and reload it. This seemed to work for a while, but in a short time the problem reappeared. This seems to be a problem with W10 as I never had it with XP which I used until I got a new computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Alan Beard

Guys,

The PDF file standard HAS CHANGED!!!!

Perhaps two or three years ago now. In the new format we can have data entered
by the recipient eg. signatures and tick boxes, The document can then be reviewed
and approved by a supervisor (more data added).

PDF is now a MOVING standard.

But the .PDF file extension stays the same.

Remember Word Perfect, .WP4, .WP5 and .WP6

Alan VK2ZIW

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:59:32 +0100, Martin Phillips G4CIO wrote
> I've had the same problem sometimes. Download the file and it opens with Adobe reader but it won't via the browser (Firefox).
>
> Martin/
>
> On 22 January 2020 20:19:17 CET, "Michael Scott via Groups.Io" <g3lyp@...> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and [UTF-8?]doesn’t open the file, and I have to try again and it always works at the second attempt. I had a look on Google but the usual solution suggested was to uninstall Adobe Reader and reload it. This seemed to work for a while, but in a short time the problem reappeared. This seems to be a problem with W10 as I never had it with XP which I used until I got a new computer.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
>
> 73, Mike, G3LYP.

> --

Alan Beard

OpenWebMail 2.53

Clive, G3GJA

Mike

By default, Windows 10 will use the PDF reader built into the Edge browser. It works at a basic level but many of the more recent innovations added to the PDF standard by Adobe will not work with the PDF reader in Edge.

Even if you set the default application for PDFs to be the Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft will reset it back the Edge at every opportunity. Typically, it will reset to Edge whenever a version upgrade of Windows 10 is installed or other major security fixes. This Microsoft behaviour can be seen in other aspects of the Edge browser where their Bing search engine is given excessive prominence along with their MSN ‘celebrity news & rumour mill’.

The quick and easy way to set Acrobat Reader as the default app for PDFs is to open Acrobat from the desktop icon or the start menu. If Acrobat is not the default reader for PDFs, then a dialogue box will pop up asking if you want to change the default app to Acrobat. If you accept, a window will pop up with instructions and the setting that needs changing.

There’s only one PDF reader that works in all situations and that’s Acrobat.

Clive G3GJA

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and doesn’t open the file, and I have to try again and it always works at the second attempt. I had a look on Google but the usual solution suggested was to uninstall Adobe Reader and reload it. This seemed to work for a while, but in a short time the problem reappeared. This seems to be a problem with W10 as I never had it with XP which I used until I got a new computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

HESH Computer Services Limited

Tel: (01482) 324936

12 Louis Pearlman Centre

Web: www.hesh.co.uk

Goulton Street

Registered in England No.: 3003479

Hull

VAT No.: GB 647 3679 95

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

The information contained in this email may be legally privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, use of this information (including disclosure, copying or distribution) or any action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful; therefore please inform the sender and delete the message immediately. The views expressed in this email are those of the originator and not necessarily those held by HESH Computer Services Ltd, who do not accept liability for any action taken in reliance on the contents of this message or for the consequences of any computer viruses which may have been transmitted by this email.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 19:19, Michael Scott via Groups.Io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and doesn’t open the file,

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

My suggestion would be to upgrade to Linux.

G8WRB
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United Kingdom

Andy

Ditch any software writen by Adobe, it's big, bloated, full of bugs and
worse, full of security holes.

Evince and Sumatra PDF work fine on Win10. Using Evince is nice as then
I have the same app for Win and Linux.

Even if you set the default application for PDFs to be the Adobe Acrobat
Reader, Microsoft will reset it back the Edge at every opportunity.
W10 has has never done that for me on 3 work laptops and a home desktop,
I must be using it wrong ;-)
(Win10 Pro 64 1903, Win10 Enterprise 64 1809)

Michael Scott

Hi Andy

That doesn’t work if the pdf is a link in an e-mail as right clicking doesn’t offer an”Open with “ option as in the case of the Scatterpoint message.

Thanks to others who replied. Changing to Linux seems a bit ott!!

73, Mike

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 19:19, Michael Scott via Groups.Io <g3lyp@...> wrote:
Hi All

Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and doesn’t open the file, and I have to try again and it always works at the second attempt. I had a look on Google but the usual solution suggested was to uninstall Adobe Reader and reload it. This seemed to work for a while, but in a short time the problem reappeared. This seems to be a problem with W10 as I never had it with XP which I used until I got a new computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Andy G4JNT

There are various save options open to you.
In fact I always download first, THEN open with Acrobat Reader.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 09:54, Michael Scott via Groups.Io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Murray Niman

I tend to use Chrome as default

Ditch Edge  - corporately we use IE as default on Win10. I note  Microsoft have thrown in the towel and will use the Chromium base code in future
I find a lot of Liux pdf readers are hopeless
With care - Not much wrong with Adobe either actually... (inc pdf forms)

   73

     Murray

Alan Beard

Guys,

The PDF file standard HAS CHANGED!!!!

Perhaps two or three years ago now. In the new format we can have data entered
by the recipient eg. signatures and tick boxes, The document can then be reviewed
and approved by a supervisor (more data added).

PDF is now a MOVING standard.

But the .PDF file extension stays the same.

Remember Word Perfect, .WP4, .WP5 and .WP6 the extension changes - good idea.

Do you guys not care about STANDARDS?

Alan VK2ZIW

On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 20:59:32 +0100, Martin Phillips G4CIO wrote
> I've had the same problem sometimes. Download the file and it opens with Adobe reader but it won't via the browser (Firefox).
>
> Martin/
>
> On 22 January 2020 20:19:17 CET, "Michael Scott via Groups.Io" <g3lyp@...> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Sorry this is a bit off topic, but opening the new Scatterpoint .pdf file reminded me. Quite often when I try to open a pdf file Windows 10 reports a problem and [UTF-8?]doesn’t open the file, and I have to try again and it always works at the second attempt. I had a look on Google but the usual solution suggested was to uninstall Adobe Reader and reload it. This seemed to work for a while, but in a short time the problem reappeared. This seems to be a problem with W10 as I never had it with XP which I used until I got a new computer.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
>
> 73, Mike, G3LYP.

> --

Alan Beard

OpenWebMail 2.53

Stephen Tompsett

The specification of PDF has changed/evolved ever since is was originally developed and released by by Adobe as a propitiatory specification in 1993, it is now an ISO standard (ISO 32000-2:2017 ) - and may be subject to future changes.

Files conforming to old standards should continue to work with later versions of PDF interpreters, no different to most programs and file formats!

Personally on Windows systems I prefer to use the Foxit (free) reader, but I regularly check for updates.

On 23/01/2020 20:31, Alan Beard wrote:
Guys,

The PDF file standard HAS CHANGED!!!!

Perhaps two or three years ago now. In the new format we can have data entered
by the recipient eg. signatures and tick boxes, The document can then be reviewed
and approved by a supervisor (more data added).

PDF is now a MOVING standard.

But the .PDF file extension stays the same.

--
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940