Topics

G3WDG Boards

Paul G8KFW

Hi Andy

Thank you for the article I had totally forgotten about Evanescent filters

Regards Paul

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy G4JNT
Sent: 09 December 2019 15:45
To: UK Microwaves groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] G3WDG Boards

Evanescent filters, where the WG is used way beyond cutoff.   See  http://g4jnt.com/EVANFILT.pdf    and if you can find a copy

"Evanescent-Mode Waveguide Filters Built in a Day", Microwaves and RF, July 1987, pp 117 - 124  

Andy

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 15:41, Paul G8KFW <paul@...> wrote:

Hi Andy

How do you use  WG 20 at 10 Ghz

I realise you are going to use 144 as an IF for 122 Ghz but

If you consider 430 Mhz as an IF as making a band pass filter would be easer

Paul

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy G4JNT
Sent: 09 December 2019 14:37

What we as a 10GHz community could do with, is an off the shelf, or easy to build, 10GHz bandpass filter suitable for image rejection at 144 IF.

Something like a 3 section post-coupled waveguide design.    Or perhaps an evanescent one in WG20.

Unfortunately the need to do them with SMA connectors / probes makes the setting up more tricky than in WG alone.

Pity I have no network or even scalar analyser that goes to 10GHz, otherwise it might have been a tempting project

Andy

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 14:30, Clive, G3GJA <clive@...> wrote:

Hi Terry

I’d like to take those boards please. I want to see if I can convert GB3XY from FM ATV to DATV by mixing up from 2m or probably somewhere above 150MHz as XY is co-sited with a 2m repeater.

I was going to get a DB6NT 3mc transverter kit but they were discontinued before I could get one.

Clive G3GJA

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Terry G4UEM via Groups.Io
Sent: 09 December 2019 13:02
To: UK Microwaves groups.io <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] G3WDG Boards

Hi All, 

I'm having a clear out and found two bare unused G3WDG boards they are G3WDG 002(B) board and a G3WDG 003 board, are they any use to anyone and they seem such as shame to throw away ?.

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

HESH Computer Services Limited

Tel: (01482) 324936

12 Louis Pearlman Centre

Web: www.hesh.co.uk

Goulton Street

Registered in England No.: 3003479

Hull

VAT No.: GB 647 3679 95

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

The information contained in this email may be legally privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, use of this information (including disclosure, copying or distribution) or any action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful; therefore please inform the sender and delete the message immediately. The views expressed in this email are those of the originator and not necessarily those held by HESH Computer Services Ltd, who do not accept liability for any action taken in reliance on the contents of this message or for the consequences of any computer viruses which may have been transmitted by this email.

Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.8048 / Virus Database: 4793/15886 - Release Date: 08/14/18
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--

Andy G4JNT

The other option is image cancelling I/Q upconversion.     The 'DGU board used this with a 144 IF and managed better than  15dB image rejection, which then meant a more relaxed filter spec could be used.

I took his design (had a spare Tx board) and carried things further, feeding the mixer diodes at baseband for direct upconversion.  Now, since the image lies on top of the wanted signal, poor image rejection doesn't give OOB spurii and at -15dB doesn't degrade the wanted signal by too much.   It's also quite easy to trim I/Q balance when you're at baseband.

And these days, you can get  I/Q baseband SSB a lot easier:   RadCom April 2017 page 27    and http://g4jnt.com/DsPIC_Weaver_DUC.zip

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 14:49, Clive, G3GJA <clive@...> wrote:

I totally  agree. There nothing available to build in Europe if you want to mix up to 3cm and an expensive, old W1GHZ design from DEMI from the US. That leaves the ready built DB6NT transverter that I don’t really want to mess with it at £500+

Clive

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy G4JNT
To: UK Microwaves groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>

What we as a 10GHz community could do with, is an off the shelf, or easy to build, 10GHz bandpass filter suitable for image rejection at 144 IF.

Something like a 3 section post-coupled waveguide design.    Or perhaps an evanescent one in WG20.

Unfortunately the need to do them with SMA connectors / probes makes the setting up more tricky than in WG alone.

Pity I have no network or even scalar analyser that goes to 10GHz, otherwise it might have been a tempting project

Hi Terry

I’d like to take those boards please. I want to see if I can convert GB3XY from FM ATV to DATV by mixing up from 2m or probably somewhere above 150MHz as XY is co-sited with a 2m repeater.

I was going to get a DB6NT 3mc transverter kit but they were discontinued before I could get one.

Clive G3GJA

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Terry G4UEM via Groups.Io

Hi All, 

I'm having a clear out and found two bare unused G3WDG boards they are G3WDG 002(B) board and a G3WDG 003 board, are they any use to anyone and they seem such as shame to throw away ?.

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

12 Louis Pearlman Centre

Goulton Street

Hull

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

The information contained in this email may be legally privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, use of this information (including disclosure, copying or distribution) or any action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful; therefore please inform the sender and delete the message immediately. The views expressed in this email are those of the originator and not necessarily those held by HESH Computer Services Ltd, who do not accept liability for any action taken in reliance on the contents of this message or for the consequences of any computer viruses which may have been transmitted by this email.

HESH Computer Services Limited Tel: (01482) 324936
12 Louis Pearlman Centre Web: www.hesh.co.uk
Goulton Street Registered in England No.: 3003479
Hull VAT No.: GB 647 3679 95
HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

Andy G4JNT

The 122GHz Rx used I/Q conversion so image cancelling and no need for image reject filter
No one's contemplating linear upconversion,  surely. 

Hi Andy

Paul

Andy

Hi Terry

Clive G3GJA

Hi All, 

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

12 Louis Pearlman Centre

Goulton Street

Hull

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

--

Andy G4JNT

Evanescent filters, where the WG is used way beyond cutoff.   See  http://g4jnt.com/EVANFILT.pdf    and if you can find a copy
  "Evanescent-Mode Waveguide Filters Built in a Day", Microwaves and RF, July 1987, pp 117 - 124  

Hi Andy

Paul

Andy

Hi Terry

Clive G3GJA

Hi All, 

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

12 Louis Pearlman Centre

Goulton Street

Hull

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

--

Andy G4JNT

Yes, I remember that filter - liked the dual mode cavity concept.

But I also recall the 'JVL transverter that used iris coupled cavities in standard WG16.   The LO filter was designed for 20MHz bandwidth, and the signal one for 60MHz BW.  These seemed incredibly narrow, but Mike explained that due to the very high unloaded Q of WG you could get away with high loaded Qs and he'd used these values to make the transverter useable with a 28MHz IF.   My 'JVL transverter didn't need a retune over the 4 or 5 years I used it before upgrading to a WDG transverter so that really high Q tuning stayed stable.

Iris coupling was horribly tedious to build, for a non-metalworker like me, what with having to cut clots in the WG and prepare accurately drilled holes in copper shim then solder them all up.   But around then, 1990 ish when I worked in a real RF lab at Marconi Space (as was), someone in the filter group showed me post coupled designs, and some software he'd written to design them.   NOW,  I know he took the equations from MYJ and implemented then in Basic (the original interpreted GWBASIC !)

Post coupling would be MUCH easier to homebrew - it was pointed out to me - as all that needs is a pillar drill and bits of thick copper wire.  You can't get such low values of coipling for narrow bandwidths, and I seem to recall a version of the 60MHz 'JVL signal one was really pushing a post coupled design, with the 20MHz one not feasible.
But going on memory, a third order 0.5dB Chebyshev that was suitable for as 144 IF was a practical possibility 

I still have a listing of the Basic SW converted for PowerBasic 16, including a 16 bit compiled .EXE of it,  but I seem to have damaged the code in the interim as it generates error messages now.  May be worth studying MYJ, comparing with the Basic S/W and redoing from scratch

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 15:24, Chris Bartram G4DGU <chris@...> wrote:

Hello Andy

The problem trying to use a 144MHz IF at 10GHz is akin to trying to use top band as an IF for 2m! It is very difficult indeed to design a simple, low-cost filter to reject the image adequately. That is particularly true if you wish to make it free from adjustments. I have been there!

My solution, which was available off the shelf, was a simple two-pole filter using orthogonally polarised circular WG resonators sharing the same length of guide. The design produces 50dB+ rejection at 10008MHz with between 1 and 2dB loss at 10368MHz.  I came up with that I when I designed my transverter. The design did go through a number of iterations in which I tried to eliminate adjustments. I almost got there, but the very accurate machining which was required put the costs of manufacture through the roof. The final version, while extremely reproducible, did need to see my VNA for set-up.

I have looked at other solutions using eg. resonators realised in some forms of substrate integrated waveguide. Some look promising, but other activities have interfered, and I'd like to get back on the air before I decide to do any more work on the project!

Chris G4DGU

Paul G8KFW

Hi Andy

Paul

Andy

Hi Terry

Clive G3GJA

Hi All, 

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

12 Louis Pearlman Centre

Goulton Street

Hull

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

--

Chris Bartram G4DGU

Hello Andy

The problem trying to use a 144MHz IF at 10GHz is akin to trying to use top band as an IF for 2m! It is very difficult indeed to design a simple, low-cost filter to reject the image adequately. That is particularly true if you wish to make it free from adjustments. I have been there!

My solution, which was available off the shelf, was a simple two-pole filter using orthogonally polarised circular WG resonators sharing the same length of guide. The design produces 50dB+ rejection at 10008MHz with between 1 and 2dB loss at 10368MHz.  I came up with that I when I designed my transverter. The design did go through a number of iterations in which I tried to eliminate adjustments. I almost got there, but the very accurate machining which was required put the costs of manufacture through the roof. The final version, while extremely reproducible, did need to see my VNA for set-up.

I have looked at other solutions using eg. resonators realised in some forms of substrate integrated waveguide. Some look promising, but other activities have interfered, and I'd like to get back on the air before I decide to do any more work on the project!

Chris G4DGU

Clive, G3GJA

I totally  agree. There nothing available to build in Europe if you want to mix up to 3cm and an expensive, old W1GHZ design from DEMI from the US. That leaves the ready built DB6NT transverter that I don’t really want to mess with it at £500+

Clive

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy G4JNT
To: UK Microwaves groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>

Hi Terry

Clive G3GJA

Hi All, 

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

12 Louis Pearlman Centre

Goulton Street

Hull

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

Andy G4JNT

Hi Terry

Clive G3GJA

Hi All, 

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

Clive, G3GJA

Hi Terry

Clive G3GJA

Hi All, 

Regards

Terry

G4UEM

HU3 4DL

Disclaimer:

Terry G4UEM

Hi All, 

Regards
Terry
G4UEM