50MHz MS Beacon Test

Andy G4JNT

Not microwaves but ...

I'm currently soak-testing a 50MHz power amplifier to form part of a beacon for a meteor measurement project.   100 Watts to an HB9CV antenna pointed vertically upwards on 50.398MHz
No clever modulation, just a plain carrier with On/Off CW ident every 3.5 minutes

Be a pity to waste all that leccy without giving listeners an opportunity to listen for it - or, better still, meteor pings.

If you're more than a couple of 100km from the south coast and aren't overwhelmed by the direct signal, look for meteor and aircraft reflections

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Listened for 5mins on J-pole from the valley. Nothing direct but during that time got a couple of pings, whatever that means.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

John Fell

Edited

You must be around 200km from G4JNT Clive,
I just saw another ping - the small horizontal bit just above the local QRM band on the RHS of the vertical carrier trace .
Do you listen for GRAVES Radar on 143.049MHz - frequent pings , often a lot wider /longer than the 50MHz variety .

John
G0API

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 13:27, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via groups.io <humber1ton=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Listened for 5mins on J-pole from the valley. Nothing direct but during that time got a couple of pings, whatever that means.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Peter G3SMT

I can copy the beacon direct in IO82KV some 250k from you so have turned the beam away to the east so that its inaudible. Have received a number of pingsthis morning a few more than your first test.

Peter  G3SMT

On 07/10/2021 12:37, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Not microwaves but ...

I'm currently soak-testing a 50MHz power amplifier to form part of a beacon for a meteor measurement project.   100 Watts to an HB9CV antenna pointed vertically upwards on 50.398MHz
No clever modulation, just a plain carrier with On/Off CW ident every 3.5 minutes

Be a pity to waste all that leccy without giving listeners an opportunity to listen for it - or, better still, meteor pings.

If you're more than a couple of 100km from the south coast and aren't overwhelmed by the direct signal, look for meteor and aircraft reflections

--
Peter G3SMT

Andy G4JNT

According to my bit of paper on the wall, we are approaching the Draconids shower, so that may be it

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 14:07, Peter G3SMT via groups.io <peter.torry=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

I can copy the beacon direct in IO82KV some 250k from you so have turned the beam away to the east so that its inaudible. Have received a number of pingsthis morning a few more than your first test.

Peter  G3SMT

Not microwaves but ...

--
Peter G3SMT

Peter G3SMT

At the moments there are some  reflections from the  Arid shower that has missed us for the past few years but with us now.

Peter  G3SMT

On 07/10/2021 14:13, Andy G4JNT wrote:
According to my bit of paper on the wall, we are approaching the Draconids shower, so that may be it

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 14:07, Peter G3SMT via groups.io <peter.torry=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

Peter  G3SMT

Not microwaves but ...

--
Peter G3SMT

--
Peter G3SMT

Frank, G0GSR

West Devon.. IO70

Andy G4JNT

Off at 22:30

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 12:37, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
Not microwaves but ...