50MHz MS Beacon Test

Andy G4JNT

Not microwaves but ...

I'm currently soak-testing a 50MHz power amplifier to form part of a beacon for a meteor measurement project.   100 Watts to an HB9CV antenna pointed vertically upwards on 50.398MHz
No clever modulation, just a plain carrier with On/Off CW ident every 3.5 minutes

Be a pity to waste all that leccy without giving listeners an opportunity to listen for it - or, better still, meteor pings.

If you're more than a couple of 100km from the south coast and aren't overwhelmed by the direct signal, look for meteor and aircraft reflections

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Listened for 5mins on J-pole from the valley. Nothing direct but during that time got a couple of pings, whatever that means.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

John Fell

Edited

You must be around 200km from G4JNT Clive,
I just saw another ping - the small horizontal bit just above the local QRM band on the RHS of the vertical carrier trace .
Do you listen for GRAVES Radar on 143.049MHz - frequent pings , often a lot wider /longer than the 50MHz variety .

73
John
G0API

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 13:27, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via groups.io <humber1ton=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Listened for 5mins on J-pole from the valley. Nothing direct but during that time got a couple of pings, whatever that means.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Peter G3SMT

I can copy the beacon direct in IO82KV some 250k from you so have turned the beam away to the east so that its inaudible. Have received a number of pingsthis morning a few more than your first test.

73

Peter  G3SMT

On 07/10/2021 12:37, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Not microwaves but ...

I'm currently soak-testing a 50MHz power amplifier to form part of a beacon for a meteor measurement project.   100 Watts to an HB9CV antenna pointed vertically upwards on 50.398MHz
No clever modulation, just a plain carrier with On/Off CW ident every 3.5 minutes

Be a pity to waste all that leccy without giving listeners an opportunity to listen for it - or, better still, meteor pings.

If you're more than a couple of 100km from the south coast and aren't overwhelmed by the direct signal, look for meteor and aircraft reflections

--
Peter G3SMT

Andy G4JNT

According to my bit of paper on the wall, we are approaching the Draconids shower, so that may be it

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 14:07, Peter G3SMT via groups.io <peter.torry=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

At the moments there are some  reflections from the  Arid shower that has missed us for the past few years but with us now.

73

Peter  G3SMT

On 07/10/2021 14:13, Andy G4JNT wrote:
[...]

Frank, G0GSR