Topics

3.4GHz dish

John Fell

The item twanged a memory location , which turned out to be from 1984 .
The gezzer in the pic is Moi and the article is one I knocked out in my capacity as Tech ED , adding to the original design notes from John G4BVY .
That dish is still at G4RFR and was last used some several years ago when Paul M0EYT and I did a fixed uwave contest from the club site at 30m asl in IO90 .With 100W of old rubbish up the feeder we worked a few OTH F stations .
IO built a VE4MA with the flange fixed but the guide adjustable ( bake beans tin variable length ) tweak in situ for best return loss .Mostly 1/2" galv mesh wired on .

73
John
G0API

Andy GD1MIP

John,

Do you have the ability to scan that article?  I'd like to read it.

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

Andy G4JNT

The unofficial archive of PW has it.
John said 1984, and it only took the second download to find - in the  Feb issue

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 08:33, Andy GD1MIP <gd1mip@...> wrote:
John,

Do you have the ability to scan that article?  I'd like to read it.

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

John Fell

Hi Andy ,
As Andy JNT says it is available .
Could dig out the flatbed scanner if you cannot locate the article on-line.

I must thank Dave G4FRE who mailed me to say I had confused the Author's callsign with another well known UK one .

It was John G4BYV (SK) who provided the original article notes .The guy holding the template against the ribs was a 34 year old version of me .

The hardwood former for the rib bending is still in my garage .

I used 1"x1/8" Aluminium flat bar for the 4 feed support arms and added a short scaf pole to the rear of the central hub plate to allow rapid mast mounting for contesting .
In those days any size dish was hard to come by .....

I was also responsible for the 18" PW dish ( I had got fed up with lugging around a galvanised steel dustbin lid for my 10GHz /P outings ).

73
JOhn
G0API

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 at 08:33, Andy GD1MIP <gd1mip@...> wrote:
John,

Do you have the ability to scan that article?  I'd like to read it.

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

Andy GD1MIP

Thanks John and all.

Andy GD1MIP

DF6NA Rainer

73, Rainer

Am 24.02.2021 um 11:17 schrieb John Fell:

[...]

Colin Ranson

John G4BYV ? was he the chap who made the Anglian Linears ?

de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

g3zqu

The callsign of the author was G4BYV not W as printed. I built one for 2.3GHz and John gave me the mesh to cover it! Still have his FT290R and his homebrew 2 tone oscillator in the shack.
Martin G3ZQU

g3zqu

The Anglian was John Bays G3KFX (sk). He moved to VK land and became VK2SB
Martin G3ZQU