Anyone recognise this

Dave Brown

No luck looking for info in the usual places although found photos of
similar looking devices-but not the same. Suspect it's a combined
circulator isolator but open to suggestions-and any idea of frequency range-
my sweep gear is out of action just now. Large connectors are type N- small
one on the end looks like SMB-not checked as yet.
Dave, ZL3FJ

Mike Willis

Looks like a directional coupler
--
Mike G0MJW

Andy G4JNT

With the small SMB or SMC perhaps being a power or temperature monitor on the load part.  The bit that uses Berylium. 

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 08:50, Mike Willis <willis.mj@...> wrote:
--
Mike G0MJW

Dave Brown

Yes- it does look like one - BUT- it contains both magnetic materials and beryllium…………….?

So I think not..

Dave, ZL3FJ

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Willis
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2019 19:50
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Anyone recognise this

--
Mike G0MJW

f1ghb

Hello,

I saw similar units from others manufacturers at the output of GSM / DCS 1800 equipments

You are right it is a combined circulator isolator

73s Eric

Le 07/09/2019 09:42, Dave Brown a écrit :
No luck looking for info in the usual places although found photos of
similar looking devices-but not the same. Suspect it's a combined
circulator isolator but open to suggestions-and any idea of frequency range-
my sweep gear is out of action just now. Large connectors are type N- small
one on the end looks like SMB-not checked as yet.
Dave, ZL3FJ

Mike Willis

The beryllium could be part of the load, there was a time of panic when that warning label went on everything. Perhaps it is all three. Why don't you put it on a VNA and find out?
--
Mike G0MJW

Dave Brown

Yeah- will have to take it somewhere and do just that-no VNA here- but normally I could sweep it, just not right now, unfortunately. I too suspect it’s ex cellular but we shall see. The guy I got it from (he has many more) is convinced its microwave related but…!!. Regardless, it looks like a good source of stainless type N’s with gold centre conductor.

Dave, ZL3FJ

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Willis
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2019 20:13
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Anyone recognise this

The beryllium could be part of the load, there was a time of panic when that warning label went on everything. Perhaps it is all three. Why don't you put it on a VNA and find out?
--
Mike G0MJW

Mike Willis

Indeed. It amuses me that many hams don't realise the value in picking these things up just for the parts. Even worse those who do but then won't break it up because it would be a shame to damage it...

Why have complete items in your junk box that you will never use when instead you can have lots of nice components in your junk box that you will never use?

--
Mike G0MJW

Wilko

Beryllium is likely the substrate used in load resistor for the isolator part. Magnets are used for both the isolator and circulator.

73 Wilko