Topics

Tuesday night 23cms

militaryoperator

23Cm Activity night.

Will be trying my 25W amp this evening.

Ben G4BXD IO82UJ  (Kidderminster in case the numbers mean nothing!)

G3UVR Denis

Hi Ben .

Those of us who do these contest will exactly know what those numbers mean.. You are 151deg from me and your return heading is 332deg to me.

Hope to settle down on a frequency somewhere between 1296.160 and 1296.170 where I will be doing a lot of CQ'ing in all directions. Hope to receive you later.

73 de Denis G3UVR

militaryoperator

Hi Ben .

Those of us who do these contest will exactly know what those numbers mean.. You are 151deg from me and your return heading is 332deg to me.

Hope to settle down on a frequency somewhere between 1296.160 and 1296.170 where I will be doing a lot of CQ'ing in all directions. Hope to receive you later.

73 de Denis G3UVR
_._,_._,_

OK Dennis thanks.

Trouble is, not all of us know the grid system off by heart, hi.

An indication of geographical location helps greatly.

Will be listening out.

cheers, Ben.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Ben, after many decades of messing about on the radio with VHF and up, I can *almost* visualise any 6-digit UK or near-EU locator on a map and I have an innate feeling about which way to beam.  However, these days I just cheat and use K7FRY.com

You can zoom in and identify your 8-char and 10-char locator using the map.

If I get the station rebuilt in time this evening, 212 is just about my best direction, so I should be able to find you.  Only 50/50 though, I have to get the masthead box finished and the filter/relay/LNA wired up.  The rest of Life is intruding somewhat on my radio playtime at the moment.

Neil G4DBN

My 10-character locator for *some* of my antennas.  Others are in adjacent squares end in EP, EK, EN, EM and EH.  Useful to visualise why I can only rarely work IO91 on microwaves. I planted every one of those trees blocking the path.

On 20/08/2019 16:38, militaryoperator via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Ben .

Those of us who do these contest will exactly know what those numbers mean.. You are 151deg from me and your return heading is 332deg to me.

Hope to settle down on a frequency somewhere between 1296.160 and 1296.170 where I will be doing a lot of CQ'ing in all directions. Hope to receive you later.

73 de Denis G3UVR

G3UVR Denis

Hi Ben.

Sorry I did not hear you tonight despite dozens and dozens of CQ calls on 1296.167.
Just checking through my log I managed eleven QSO's with other stations that were close to your beam heading from me.. Total of 62 QSO's. My best DX was an ON at 495km.

Conditions were poor this evening and I hope to contact you in the future.

73 de Denis G3UVR (Near Liverpool)

militaryoperator

Hi Ben.
Sorry I did not hear you tonight despite dozens and dozens of CQ calls on 1296.167.
Just checking through my log I managed eleven QSO's with other stations that were close to your beam heading from me.. Total of 62 QSO's. My best DX was an ON at 495km.
Conditions were poor this evening and I hope to contact you in the future.
73 de Denis G3UVR (Near Liverpool)
_._,_._,_

OK Denis. Yes, very poor for me. Last month I worked 8 and heard loads, last night worked 4 and heard very few despite the addition of an LNA and PA since last month.

Hey ho, try again next month, hi. Might have a better antenna by then.

cheers, Ben. G4BXD

Nick Gregory G0HIK

It was hard going last night.

Signals were down and long QSB, the site has also gone noisy, S9 +10 with the SG-LABs pre-amp/amp, so that was taken out of circuit. Would a bandpass filter help the situation ?
The rain which I had managed to avoid came at 20:00z, so just an hour of operating.
17 QSO's in an hour was not too bad I suppose.

Nick G0HIK IO84

g4cch_1

Had a quick listen last night on my 5.4m dish that i use for EME.
The dish was parked at almost 90 deg elevation, so wasn't expecting to hear much.
I was hearing quite a few stations from my location in IO93QL - near Scunthorpe
Furthest was G4CLA/P
Was amazed to hear G8XVJ reporting a serial no of 069 at around 9pm.
A few years back, it was struggle to work that many stations on an NFD weekend
So activity must have been very good.
Is this typical of what happens now..??

Howard, G4CCH

Neil Smith G4DBN

Hi Howard, leading stations usually get between 70 and 100 QSOs and about 80 stations enter logs.  Usually a fair number of 600-800km QSOs via A/S. Erik made 100 last night.

Way more activity than in VHF NFD.  Part of that is because multiple 23cm ops who are members of contest groups often end up running a single station in NFD.

There are lots of new stations around, particularly because of the low-cost transverters which have become available in the last couple of years, but I'm also seeing callsigns from the distant past reappearing.

Neil G4DBN

On 21/08/2019 12:59, g4cch_1 wrote:

Had a quick listen last night on my 5.4m dish that i use for EME.
The dish was parked at almost 90 deg elevation, so wasn't expecting to hear much.
I was hearing quite a few stations from my location in IO93QL - near Scunthorpe
Furthest was G4CLA/P
Was amazed to hear G8XVJ reporting a serial no of 069 at around 9pm.
A few years back, it was struggle to work that many stations on an NFD weekend
So activity must have been very good.
Is this typical of what happens now..??

Howard, G4CCH

Nigel G8IFN

Activity may also have increased because because of the IC-9700 becoming available.
I am back on the band for the first time since the 1980s due to my purchase of the 9700.
Just need to get the antenna outside rather than in the loft.
--
Nigel G8IFN

simonchettle

Umm -  what a surprise I had on Tuesday!

I have not been active for a couple of years and after a rebuild of the of the station I Thought (?) that 100 W into 67 Ele with DDK preamp would net a good few contacts.

Observations:

Just prior to 20:00 copied two PA stations and one station on the IOW.
So despite being in a “hole”  50 M ASL with local surrounding ground rising to 80 M ASL I expected an interesting evening.

Of course  after 20:00 no sign of the PA stations and no signal from IOW.

After 2 hours I noted a /P station giving a report of 70 QSOs – and I was 9 !  Others in IO83 were doing better than me.

I did work stations  in IO  and JO with broadly reciprocal similar signal reports so my kit appears to be matched (RX v TX).

I did notice that conditions were not good (Martelsham well down on normal).

Though as has been asked/ said on many occasions those of you who “in the south” Please look North after you have worked  F, DL, ON, PA ect.

This is not a whinge just that some of us in the NW and Midlands would appreciate a couple of QSOs more.

Cheers
Simon

Activity may also have increased because because of the IC-9700 becoming available.
I am back on the band for the first time since the 1980s due to my purchase of the 9700.
Just need to get the antenna outside rather than in the loft.
--
Nigel G8IFN

Peter Torry

Hi Simon,

Good to work you on Tuesday evening.  I experienced similar conditions and could not receive Martlesham although it occasionally comes out of the noise here.  My location is somewhat higher than yours but I think that trees some 200m away affect my signals - may have to increase the height of the antenna or move !!.

73

Peter   G3SMT

On 22/08/2019 18:50, simonchettle wrote:
[...]

John Lemay

Adrian

Good to work you on Tuesday – always nice to get a new call in the contest log. Yes, conditions were not great, so you can certainly look forward to improvements. Your 67 ele yagi is highly directional (I’m sure you know that already!) and you’ll need to be really active with the rotator.

What I am sure you will find after a few contests, is that you will gain a mental database of calls and locations, along with a realisation of which paths are likely to work, and this will help you to raise the contact rate. In addition, as a regular entrant, other ops will be looking for you.

100w and a 67 ele is a decent set-up, and you have the potential for some long distance QSO’s by aircraft scatter – take a look at “Airscout” and play with the software. There’s hours of fun there, with or without a contest.

Regards

John G4ZTR