Just a suggestion

John Lemay

Yesterday in the 10GHz contest I spent a while trying (and failing) to work
a particular station. Just as I was giving up, it came to light that that G
station had crossed the boundary into GW and was portable about 15 degrees
off the heading I was using. It only takes a minute to edit ones user
details on 'KST ...........

John G4ZTR

Aka Grumpy of Colchester

Tony G4NBS

You mean you need to know both the call sign and locator in advance John? Whatever happened to exchanging all info on the band concerned!
Toungue in cheek of course but wonder if it’s worth considering a reintroduction of some form of info required that guarantees a unique exchange?
Not thinking of the old exchanges of miles from nowhere but some form of code that changes each band/contest??
Having just listened to IOTA test with it’s optional RS(T) it was amusing to hear all the repeats of serials required when everything else was known......
Back in my hole!
73
Tony G4nbs

On 29 Jul 2019, at 13:07, John Lemay <john@carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

Yesterday in the 10GHz contest I spent a while trying (and failing) to work
a particular station. Just as I was giving up, it came to light that that G
station had crossed the boundary into GW and was portable about 15 degrees
off the heading I was using. It only takes a minute to edit ones user
details on 'KST ...........

John G4ZTR

Aka Grumpy of Colchester

John Worsnop

Or you could just both have swung your dishes a bit. 10GHz paths especially by scatter are rarely boresight direction.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019, 14:07 John Lemay, <john@...> wrote:
Yesterday in the 10GHz contest I spent a while trying (and failing) to work
a particular station. Just as I was giving up, it came to light that that G
station had crossed the boundary into GW and was portable about 15 degrees
off the heading I was using. It only takes a minute to edit ones user
details on 'KST ...........

John G4ZTR

Aka Grumpy of Colchester

Adrian G4UVZ

At least you worked someone...I called on and off during the day on 144.390  and worked no one!

Neil Smith G4DBN

A unique string of five groups of five characters/numbers for each contact, generated in advance by the contest website, would make sure we were actually communicating and keep us on our toes. I would suggest QTCs, as in the WAEDX contests https://www.darc.de/der-club/referate/referat-conteste/worked-all-europe-dx-contest/en/ but with small numbers of contacts, that isn't ideal.  Depends what the point of the contest is though.  I love the challenge of copying QTCs send at mega-fast speed in CW, but if we want to encourage activity, making the contest harder might not be the best move.

Neil G4DBN

On 29/07/2019 14:27, Tony G4NBS via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I agree with Neil. Let's not make contests harder than they need to be.
Getting out/P or in the shack should be the main objective.
The concept of "initials" as used in EME where you keep a list of every new station you work is a good way to add some interest to the GHz bands.
One, it encourages people to look for new stations rather than just DX and two, it encourages new stations to build for the band and people will search them out even if they are not DX or in rare squares.

What do the rest of you think about getting this idea going?

73 John

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019, 16:15 Neil Smith G4DBN, <neil@...> wrote:
A unique string of five groups of five characters/numbers for each
contact, generated in advance by the contest website, would make sure we
were actually communicating and keep us on our toes. I would suggest
QTCs, as in the WAEDX contests
https://www.darc.de/der-club/referate/referat-conteste/worked-all-europe-dx-contest/en/
but with small numbers of contacts, that isn't ideal.  Depends what the
point of the contest is though.  I love the challenge of copying QTCs
send at mega-fast speed in CW, but if we want to encourage activity,
making the contest harder might not be the best move.

Neil G4DBN

On 29/07/2019 14:27, Tony G4NBS via Groups.Io wrote:
> You mean you need to know both the call sign and locator in advance John? Whatever happened to exchanging all info on the band concerned!
> Toungue in cheek of course but wonder if it’s worth considering a reintroduction of some form of info required that guarantees a unique exchange?
> Not thinking of the old exchanges of miles from nowhere but some form of code that changes each band/contest??
> Having just listened to IOTA test with it’s optional RS(T) it was amusing to hear all the repeats of serials required when everything else was known......
> Back in my hole!
> 73
> Tony G4nbs
>> On 29 Jul 2019, at 13:07, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday in the 10GHz contest I spent a while trying (and failing) to work
>> a particular station. Just as I was giving up, it came to light that that G
>> station had crossed the boundary into GW and was portable about 15 degrees
>> off the heading I was using. It only takes a minute to edit ones user
>> details on 'KST ...........
>>
>> John G4ZTR
>>
>> Aka Grumpy of Colchester

John Worsnop

P s I'd be happy to feature initials for reports to Scatterpoint /RadCom if you tell me the initial # in your report to me

73 John

G3UVR Denis IO83KH

To Adrian.

We were all on KST.. 144.390 does not have the range needed to set up skeds for microwave unless you have a multi aerial array and +300w

I did forget to log into Zello but otherwise happy with the eight contacts I did setup via KST.

KST wins again.

73 de Denis G3UVR

Out of 10 contacts 4 were direct on 10GHz. Don't forget to call CQ when there is rain about, (and QRZ at the end of a contact!)

Neil Smith G4DBN

And might I make a plea for a quick QRZ? even if there is another sked in the queue?  There are some stations in various microwave contests who are not on KST or anything else I can find, so having a QSO is just random chance of dish alignment or scatter, but I might just be listening to the tail end of another QSO and hearing them OK.  If it isn't their frequency, if they just announced "QSY 130" after their contact, then sent a quick CQ on that frequency, it would give me a chance of catching them.

I often try to slip in a "G9XXX 140 please", but if the station who is running on the frequency doesn't leave a millisecond gap, that usually fails.

Maybe I just need Moar Power, Igor.

Actually, I just need to get my bloody finger out and finish the move of the antennas and kit between masts, so I can get back on the air, but Life keeps intervening.

Neil G4DBN

On 29/07/2019 16:32, Ken G3YKI wrote:
Out of 10 contacts 4 were direct on 10GHz. Don't forget to call CQ when there is rain about, (and QRZ at the end of a contact!)

John E. Beech

That reminds me of Paul's G4IEV first outing with 13 cms., with all of 1 watt. I think it was on Burrough Hill in Leics. Paul having failed to make contact with a particular station let me have the mic just in time to hear the other station call QRZ as aligned the dish on him. I went straight back to him & he nearly fell off his perch. His first comment was:"I was only joking!"
I said I'm not, your 59 ( which he was). The reason Paul failed to work him was because the dish was mis-aligned with the rotator indicator. I ignored the indicator and just twiddled the rotator for max smoke. Paul had been trying to work him on a sidelobe of our dish. That was my first QSO on 13 cms, which is why I remember it.

de John G8SEQ

Out of 10 contacts 4 were direct on 10GHz. Don't forget to call CQ
when there is rain about, (and QRZ at the end of a contact!)

Adrian G4UVZ

To Denis

I am afraid that as has been said before ..KST is a Marmite thing ...those that use it daily seem to get it to work ..I tried as recommended the Lite version ...but using once every couple of months was just a non starter....Old dog new tricks I am afraid...!

John Fell

Having the ability to run JT4G or QRA64D would solve a few issues and you could keep the screen shots of decodes as evidence , should it ever be needed!

John
G0API

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 15:15, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
A unique string of five groups of five characters/numbers for each
contact, generated in advance by the contest website, would make sure we
were actually communicating and keep us on our toes. I would suggest
QTCs, as in the WAEDX contests
https://www.darc.de/der-club/referate/referat-conteste/worked-all-europe-dx-contest/en/
but with small numbers of contacts, that isn't ideal.  Depends what the
point of the contest is though.  I love the challenge of copying QTCs
send at mega-fast speed in CW, but if we want to encourage activity,
making the contest harder might not be the best move.

Neil G4DBN

On 29/07/2019 14:27, Tony G4NBS via Groups.Io wrote:
> You mean you need to know both the call sign and locator in advance John? Whatever happened to exchanging all info on the band concerned!
> Toungue in cheek of course but wonder if it’s worth considering a reintroduction of some form of info required that guarantees a unique exchange?
> Not thinking of the old exchanges of miles from nowhere but some form of code that changes each band/contest??
> Having just listened to IOTA test with it’s optional RS(T) it was amusing to hear all the repeats of serials required when everything else was known......
> Back in my hole!
> 73
> Tony G4nbs
>> On 29 Jul 2019, at 13:07, John Lemay <john@...> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday in the 10GHz contest I spent a while trying (and failing) to work
>> a particular station. Just as I was giving up, it came to light that that G
>> station had crossed the boundary into GW and was portable about 15 degrees
>> off the heading I was using. It only takes a minute to edit ones user
>> details on 'KST ...........
>>
>> John G4ZTR
>>
>> Aka Grumpy of Colchester

Martyn G3UKV

Hi Adrian
Not sure why we didn't hear you on Brown Clee, Shrops. (G3ZME/P). We had 2m .390 on almost continuously, and there were several stations using it. A small yagi (horizontal) usually suffices, depending of course on both stations' locations. We used a simple 7 ele. and about 50W, and did rotate it.
ON4KST isn't really a marmite thing - it's currently essential for uW above 23cm. It's not perfect, especially if a UK contest coincides with a Europe contest, when the inputs scroll down and even off the screen too quickly - but many ops. use KST2ME for that reason, as a second window exists that only comes 'live' when you are in QSO with someone. Like most typed i/p software, it can be a bit tedious at times, which is why I personally prefer to use 2m talkback - but it's fair to say that for a large majority of the QSOs we made on 5.7/10G yesterday (more than 3/4) we used 'KST. We called a few times on Zello, but had no takers, and even made a phone call to John 'BAO - but he explained he wasn't at home!

BTW:  Using Windows, the /cq<space> bit before the QSO partner callsign is easily stored with Ctrl C, and then just Ctrl V each time before entering the call + message. (Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but it took me many months before I 'clicked'!).

We'll look out for you on any talkback mode in August. . . . .
73 Martyn G3UKV

On 29/07/2019 15:13, Adrian G4UVZ via Groups.Io wrote:
At least you worked someone...I called on and off during the day on 144.390  and worked no one!

militaryoperator

Just a suggestion.

It might help if those who are already experienced in Microwaves made it easier for those who are not to visit these portable operations or even invited interested parties to their shacks.

Time was when you could knock on a door after spotting aerials and you were invited in to see the operating room etc. Its worked for me many times while abroad but I would hesitate to do so in the UK these days.

Maybe those in the know don't really want us not in the know to find out the secrets?? hi.

In which case, there will end up being the same people working the same people over and over again. Maybe that's what they want?

Cheers, Ben G4BXD (Unknown of Kidderminster)

Military Wireless Museum
Kidderminster, UK.

Andy G4JNT

Why

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 20:08, militaryoperator via Groups.Io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

... but I would hesitate to do so in the UK these days.

Ed G3VPF

Adrian

I was out yesterday, but the wind was too strong to put up the main 3cms dish so only had the QRP gear. regret I don't use 144.390, it's yet another set of gear to cram into a small vehicle and yet another distraction while trying to cope with KST, Zello and the microwave bands.

I did manage one QSO on 6cms, but suffered severe interference. Did anyone else hear the digital noise emanating from somewhere in the SW of the UK? I went back to the /P site today and it had gone. It wasn't radar, sounded more like digital network noise. Noise level raised >20dB right across the band when beaming at it.

Ed

G3VPF IO80RQ